How'd it go today?

Great conversation at breakfast with the whole "morning regulars" crowd.

Boss said the top dresser was making a noise so I helped him with that for a couple hours. I spotted the big conveying belt was off the drive sprockets. Messed around and got it back on for him, tried it out and it jumped off again. Found a broken link in one chain. That's as far as we went with that today...couple hours down the drain.

Moved a few other things around, organized mt building and put a bunch of stuff away for winter.

Getting closer to vacation time. If the weather holds I should have my stuff knocked out in another week :/:

Fiddler, what kinda dresser has a conveyor belt? I’m trying to picture what you’re talking about. And, why did you put stuff away for winter instead of getting it out for winter? Not trying to be a jerk, just wanna understand.

Plumbing work is slowing down. Many factors here. Inflation and economic uncertainty are major contributors- people are going with the minimum fix. Pulled a hair brush out of a toilet with a closet auger. I saw the toilet lid was missing and there were lots of bathroom accessories sitting on the tank lid. I asked the customer if a brush may have fallen in. She said she had no idea. Low and behold…….

One time I was called out to try to retrieve dentures which had been accidentally flushed. Once it was realized that it would cost more for me to camera the line and try to hook them than a new set of dentures…..

Attachments

• 7C359271-ECB8-4B56-BD49-FFED2A3896FC.jpeg
    7C359271-ECB8-4B56-BD49-FFED2A3896FC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
what kinda dresser has a conveyor belt? I’m trying to picture what you’re talking about.

I must be bored :lol: Took the dog down to the course for a ride and to take a couple pics for you.

Boss calls it "top dresser"...it's really a metered top soil spreader.
I do the actual dressing with a steel-link mat.

spreader 004.JPG

pick of chain & belt on sprocket just below brush.
spreader 006.JPG

Broken link on chain riveted to each side of belt
spreader 007.JPG
Personally I think the belt is shot...I can tighten it up to where the middle is like a drum head and the chains still have an extreme amount of play in them.

why did you put stuff away for winter instead of getting it out for winter? Not trying to be a jerk, just wanna understand.

It's a golf course in Michigan. hiding signs, machines, carts, flags, ball washers, etc from winter weather.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty ingenious machine. I’ve never seen one. I get what you mean now about closing up the course.

I took my 9 year old son to 3 different Halloween stores trying to find a Michael Myers (not the comedian) mask that would fit, wasn’t $80, and didn’t look like a child made it for a kindergarten project- no success. We ended up eating at the Japanese hibachi place though. He loved it. He caught the shrimp in his mouth that the chef threw to him. It was a good time and a fun table. He tried a few new foods. He didn’t like them much but at least he tried them.

Boss tossed me a $100 bonus first thing this morning. :)

Then he commenced to totally change my whole plan for the day...messed me all up being as I had all the "wrong" tools out already. :lol:

I see the boss and the other part time worker were towing the top-soil spreader around some this a.m. checking it over. Seems they've concluded the belt chain is broke and it won't work that way...:|: They were there about an hour and both left.

Last edited:
Too bad they don't have someone that can look over equipment, and diagnose problems :^P

Pretty routine day. I went back to the job that kicked my ass last week, and finished up LOD. The section today was much easier. Aside from one nasty section of rosa multiflora, it was fairly easy. Just the usual brush to get through, and it wasn't super dense.

So just to piss me off for spending money and time on the F350, she decided to throw her harmonic balancer into the timing chain cover popping a hole in it and of course leaving the carnage inside the housing. NICE. SO I am 3 for 3. Only Robs truck running. Parts are ordered. So game on biatch.
Thankfully, my buddy I have working with us, has an F250 that will tow for us while he works with us. So we are not completely dead in the water. Next week should be interesting.
All that after running the lift back after a long day to find out the custy can't meet me with payment until Thursday.
Been a few rough weeks around here. Really did not need this shit for icing.

Started on a maple removal. Climb, cut, come down, limb, load the bed of the truck, drive the truck into the woods behind the property, unload , repeat. I did have help for 4 hrs though so that was nice.

I did cut my lanyard a few hours in though. Never done that before. I lost about 14” Glad I always tie in twice. I still can’t believe I did that though.

That's a Manitoba Maple or Box Elder, right?

Went to the bridge job in the country to locate the side of the abutment I couldn't see before, and set a benchmark on top of the pier. Got to do a creek walk to get to the other side. It was way faster than driving the roads around. I enjoy creek walks when the water's nice and clean. Went in to my cargo pockets.

One of the best times I had at work was late winter with bright sunshine. It was in the 40s, but the sun was really warm. I was in a creek up to my waist, and the water was a bit above freezing. Felt amazing having the warm sun on my chest, and cold water on my legs. I could have taken offset shots, and eyeballed the center of the creek, but my way was faster, more accurate, and more fun :^)

IMG_20221012_100015616_HDR.jpg

That's Deer Creek close to the Susquehanna. It's the job with the remnants of the furnace(?) in Rock Run park I posted a couple months ago.

Today went well. My buddy that works with me part time drove me and the chipper today and will the rest of the week. Has his own business. So I am going to have to figure the schedule out. Parts won't be here till the weekend. And of course, Won't have much of a weekend to get it done.
Back to teachers assistant Monday, and I have a job Saturday. Maybe I can get the front of the truck pulled apart on Sunday and ready for the new timing cover, chain, sprockets, harmonic balancer, seals.... New digital timing light just arrived. So I will have that to get it done with. Ahhhh the joys.
Job today was a multi stem oak that was in plain view of a gust cottage that is going to get occupied this weekend. I slid the job in to keep this custy happy and I get plenty of work from him.
Decided I have had enough rehab on my knee. Resting and such. 2 weeks of lift and mostly wraptor ascents. Told the crew I have been lazy and need my exercise. Rocked it with three ascents, ave 2 redirects per, one 3x. 4.5 hours. Smoked it. Dead wood and hangers. Kind of sore right now. But I feel better for it. Knee needs to mend some more, but I have pine TDs coming up. Harder on the knee in gaffs than ascenders.

Can you do the takedowns without spurs? Don't want to set yourself back before you're up to speed.

Just landed in Chicago, visiting my family for a couple days, helping my brother with moving a bunch of inventory for his sports memorabilia store.
Haven't been here in about 6 years!

My gf's brother retired from the Air Force after 22ish years as a pilot and flight instructor. Gf and daughters arrive late on Friday night. Big family party, so I'll be meeting a lot of people.

Flying back early Sunday.

Did a junkyard job today. Had to climb some ~30 ft., multistemmed, Asian water weed that grew up and over structure, another 30' skinny one on the back corner I could fell, and a pile of "junkyard limbs" he wanted chipped. I was there for just under 2 hours, and I made a lot of stuff disappear, but left the pile of junk that was intermingled with his junkyard limb pile. Some good cash for the efforrt. Then went and cut up the remaining stem pieces from weekend's ash takedown, which Dingo loaded and filled dump trailer with 24" diameter, 12" - 18" logs. Gonna be fun splitting them.

Ok day at work. Replaced a bunch of valves under sinks and for toilets, lavatory p traps, and a sump pump battery back up system. No trees😩.

Went over to my sister in laws for a birthday party. Lots of team ping pong tournaments. I haven’t played in a few years but seemed to pick up where I left off. That’s one fun game/sport. Gonna hafta throw the extra couches away in the basement and get the table back out!

Back