How'd it go today?

Yes, stay on your toes. But no need to put yourself in a more tense situation by using something that you know it's borderline (either gear or technique, or both).

Things went pretty well pulling/dropping trees today. all down & she's ready to roof tomorrow.

That is once I cleared a path to them and made sure of escape routes. That took longer than dropping the trees. Boss was supposed to have it done with the tractor, but...NOT! Ah well, I'm sort of used to that.

I'll cut some access paths for the roofer tomorrow and do the cleanup.

hopefully out by noon again.

I surprised my wife, the light house enthusiast, for her birthday with a 2 day stay here:

A working lighthouse.

The best thing was the Sauna, which they had set, so it was basically hanging it's ass over the cliff.
Back end was glass, so we had a great wiev of the ocean.
At night it was magical.
Sitting and sweating, while seeing the few lights from Rügen in Germany, the ships going by and the stars above.
Island Møn brands itself " Dark sky" because there is very little of what astronomers call " Dirty light", so the stars are really showing off..
Then seeing the light from the lighthouse go 5-10 miles out over the ocean 1....2....3....4.......loooong pause and repeat.
Such a special experience.

First day we had raclette and a bottle of ( Just to bring politics into this) Ukrainian sparkling wine, that a local wine store sold, with all earnings going to support Ukraine.

Funny thing was, my wife recognized the name of it, turned out the village where it was produced, was founded by Swiss emigrants in the 18 hundreds.

Really a small World, sometimes.

It was a great succes, and I gained uncountable wife points.

And, yes.

I did get laid in a light house :)

I felt like a ROW guy today clearing two service drops for the same owner but two different properties a mile apart.
Git back to the shop and pulled everything out and moved in wood for the winter.
1C32EFE1-1810-496F-BE79-8F21BA8BB0DE.jpeg
21 3/4 baskets hopefully that’s enough, we burned 20 last year.

Last edited:
Rerouted/repiped a 70 yr old kitchen drain. Guy called with a leak under the sink. There was no saving any of that drain. I rerouted it and bypassed the old pipe and connected to his 3” cast iron stack in the basement. Also replaced his faucet and valves.

I was able to get up to the large tree job and put in a couple hours so that was the best part of the day. Forgot my APTA so all ground work.

Attachments

• 35AB657B-D0E2-4BAA-9CFB-08FB9B99A0E0.jpeg
    35AB657B-D0E2-4BAA-9CFB-08FB9B99A0E0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 7A55723A-1A26-408D-B25A-ADA3B1DE0778.jpeg
    7A55723A-1A26-408D-B25A-ADA3B1DE0778.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • D9C3985F-8895-4E38-B8AA-AA4996094BA3.jpeg
    D9C3985F-8895-4E38-B8AA-AA4996094BA3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Another beautiful autumn day. A bit warmer than John would like but I rather enjoy 70* days. I’m currently taking a break from moving things around outside. I’ve got four pallet loads of plastic that needs loaded on my trailer yet tonight and a few other things gotten out of the way. Like Rajan, I feel that I have to get the firewood prepped for winter, tonight. So I’ll be out there late moving and covering it. Wish I had a big ole shop to put it in. I’m off tomorrow so I can be up as late as I want. Headed out camping tomorrow afternoon. Saturday I’ll be headed to The Paul Bunyan Show with the kids.

They were talking rain this afternoon so I really wanted to get it under roof beforehand. I also prepped the yard a little bit in prep for the snow. I had the small shed door widened yesterday so I can get the mower and blower out of the shop. Cold wind blowing out of the north this evening it’s creeping. Great minds and all that Rich.

I did a stump today. The HO made a few attempts to kill and remove it before. One of them was to drill deep holes in the wood and fill them with some acid. Some strange smell came around during the grinding instead of woodchips and dirt, a bit on the nasty side. Sweet.:bummed:

IMG_20221007_121023462_HDR.jpg Turkey, deer, kitty cat(I think), and goober tracks. One set that's unknown, but it looks like a highly intelligent creature, and quite handsome :^P Also another that's completely unidentified.

Had to restake curb. I was pissed off. I busted ass last time, and knocked it out in the heat. Today was post tropical storm mud, and my knee still hurts like a SOB from last week, I also did something to the side of my foot, and that hurts too. People need to get their shit together. If they aren't ready for good stakeout, don't ask for it. "Do something, even if it's wrong" isn't always the correct answer. Waste of time and materials.

Got enough cleanup done for the roofer to get access, then went up and trimmed the trees on the backside of the barn that we couldn't remove (5 maples & a Jack Pine). still have half the cleanup to go, but may wait for roofers to get done & out of way; I'm not real big on the idea of working under them.

Course and range are officially closed for the season as of today. It will be nice to start work after sunrise now that it's cooler in the mornings.

Picked the wrong day to get blood drawn...new person: don't know what she hit, but it was all I could do to sit still and let her finish the draw. Never hurt like that in the over ten years I've been going there. Reminder to self...never again on Friday afternoon!

I hate it when you get the new guys, or the non blood draw nurses that have to do them on occasion so they never get good at it. The oncology offices i go to have dedicated nurses that do blood draws and port lines exclusively, and they're so good you usually can't even feel them.

Started on a maple removal. Climb, cut, come down, limb, load the bed of the truck, drive the truck into the woods behind the property, unload , repeat. I did have help for 4 hrs though so that was nice.

I did cut my lanyard a few hours in though. Never done that before. I lost about 14” Glad I always tie in twice. I still can’t believe I did that though.

Attachments

• 4E0AE42A-4939-439F-9FD6-6793248731D3.jpeg
    4E0AE42A-4939-439F-9FD6-6793248731D3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • F57DBE93-45C2-4FFD-A7A2-559914D8EF76.jpeg
    F57DBE93-45C2-4FFD-A7A2-559914D8EF76.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
Bummer about the lanyard. It's easy to lose track of your lines, especially on the back side of a stem. I check, double, then triple check where my stuff is, to the point of being too slow I think, but it's mostly kept my saws off my ropes. I did tap one of my ropes with the silky once. Barely touched it, but it was still enough to pop some cover threads. I was pissed at myself for letting it happen.

Back