How'd it go today?

Seeing all those bricks reminds me of a time long ago in another galaxy.

I moved to an old defunct dairy ranch near Sebastapol in 1973. There was a pile of about 500 bricks there and they were in the way. So I moved them. About a year later I had another project I wanted to do and it meant moving that pile of bricks again.

The person that live on the ranch before me, a friend, had noticed the bricks had been moved from where he remembered them, and he told me , "Jer, I moved that pile of bricks twice while I lived here." In an old sense he added, "That pile of bricks is alive."

And I'll bet someone has moved them since.

Isn't life grand.

Whats a scorpion sting like?
Like a wasp on steroids. He didn't get me good, I don't think. I had just picked up a brick and he zapped me. I'd already killed two out there while moving the bricks. They like to hide in the voids in the stacks. I finished the row I was working on and went and got a piece of plantain and chewed it up and help it on the sting for a few minutes. My thumb is a little swollen and tender, but not enough bother me.

Gerry, I dig that story!

Treesmith, thanks for the info, I was wondering about effects too. Glad it wasn't bad as it could be.

Jimbo, great post, thx for throwing more light on the meat dichotomy for many folks

Goats are relly cool. Their so personable.

The dog was guarding this small herd in a remote area of southeastern Humboldt. out in the middle of nowhere. and then some wild goats along the Sonoma coast. They were more shy.

Attachments

• goat 001.JPG
    goat 001.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • goat 002.JPG
    goat 002.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • goat  003.JPG
    goat 003.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
For those interested.....here's a link to an article about plantain. I've used it many times when stung by wasps, bees, yellow jackets, and as of today, scorpion. IT WORKS. I simply tear off a piece of a leaf (or the whole leaf if small), chew it thoroughly and press it on the sting for 5-10 minutes. I have before used a bandaid to hold it there so I could get back to whatever I was doing. I have read that it will work with spider bites as well.

Ok I just googled whether sheep, thanks for broadening my horizon.

What was it like for you to hold it and how did the sheep react. Serious questions btw, I'd like to hear from someone who's been there. And idk, maybe the sheep dropped almost instantly from a correctly done cut. Or maybe it was awful. I'd like to hear if you feel like discussing

I threw him on his side and held him.

I didn't watch the knife....didn't want to.

A sorta saw him cut....and could feel the sheep tense up.

That tense feeling lasted a few seconds and then there was nothing.

I could literally feel the life leave him.

I didn't like it very well!

I'm sure you didn't like it but from what you wrote it sounds pretty humane. Thanks for sharing

The last sheep we had butchered was a whether.

The butcher asked me if I would hold it.......while he cut its throat.

I kinda stared at him blankly....he assured me he was much better at it than the Taliban.

I didn't like that very well.....
Yeah, not for the weak of stomach.
Taking life no matter what it is, is not easy...if you have a soul. Ok, mosquitoes etc aside.

That's one of the reasons I didn't get chickens. I was really hot on the idea for a bit. Aside from doubting my desire to care for chickens long term, I didn't want a bunch of pet chickens when they quit laying. I wouldn't kill them, so I'd have a bunch of pet birds to care for. I'm just not keen on killing animals I've raised. It's a violation of trust. With hunting(assuming I did anymore), it's the way it is. I play the predator, they play the prey; no hard feelings. I won't kill an animal that's developed a level of trust with me.

Just got home after some pruning, some killing on that rental job. Hot day. No sooner inthe door, phone rings. Need a tree removed. But only the stump Removed. Brother cut apricot tree down to about 2 foot after the tops died , kept water on it thinking it might come back. Nope. Now a problem, they were cutting the stump to turn the wood, only ALAP. Cant cut it. I ask, you want the stump ground? No. 2' high and 2' diam. Just cant cut it. And, we had another guy try, local tree guy, he cant cut it either. Well sir, says I. I bet I know what might be the problem. You started the cut but soon the saw just wouldn't cut right? Yeah! Couple of times and the tree guy the same issue.
Well, say I. I think what you might have is a post in the tree it grew around. Few inches in, it just gave up? Yeah! Chain started smokin. Well sir, there are carbide chains on Ebay. Jusy find out what size chain you need for your saw, purchase it, might or might not do the trick. My minimum would cost more than the chain. Happy guy thanks me, and my ice tea is cold. AC on. Good luck.

Broke in the 2 new kids today on a major pin oak prune for a neighbor a few doors over. They handled the ropes okay, and were able to get me everything up in the tree when I needed it, so that was a success. We finished up the cutting, and as we were doing the second round of chipping, mother nature opens up the sky and drops torrential wind, rain and lightning. We were abe to finish the chipping, but cleanup pushed off until things dry. Neighbor was happy as can be, as I as usual went above and beyond what he asked for on the deadwood/prune, and really got the tree looking good/removing threat to his and neighbor's roofs. Awaiting potential storm damage calls in the morning, as this one had some serious punch to it.

Back