How'd it go today?

I have a remote wireless fuse system, but only haul it out for larger shows (it actually takes more time to set that up than my calculations/tying 3 different speed fuse). This show is small enough to allow me to still get away with doing it this style. Plus, it's a light once and watch the whole thing go off. If I wire it, I also have to pay more attention to the remotes than the actual show, and there is the occasional failed channel off the remote units that causes a headache, so I don't enjoy it as much. Like many state here about equipment, the more mechanical/less electronic, the better.

Here's one of the finales I did a few years ago. Set up pretty much the same way. (Filmed by a guy on his Iphone about 200 ft away):

Here's a pic of the pole...

20210704_111601.jpg

The pvc is black now. I remembered I had spraypaint suitable for plastic in the truck. Hoping it doesn't disolve the foam I put in the top. I'm still gonna pile rocks around it cause I like rocks. The rose of sharon I'm gonna trim way back after it blooms this year. Birds planted that. I like the overgrown look, so I'll slowly cut the stuff I don't want out, and trim the stuff to a more manageable size.

Is that a regular quantity you deal with every year, or does the number vary year to year?

The numbers generally stay pretty constant.

You usually cant tell there is hopper damage.

Dry years are bad for hoppers....and a disastrous year always follows a bad year in regards to numbers.

Cool, rainy spring weather knocks em back.

We haven't had that in a while.

I hesitate to use the term "biblical"....but its REALLY early to have them this bad.

Cut the limb out of that cherry today. The oak should be happier. I was gonna try setting my friction saver, but got it stuck. Had to set my line the way I normally do, and retrieve it. Guess that's why they use spliced webbing, and not knots, eh?

I'm officially done trying to use the HitchClimber as intended. Climbing has sucked since I've been trying to work it into the routine. Change my termination, change my hitch, change my hitch cord, move the biners around to different holes... None of it is close to as good as my setup a year ago. I can still use the pulley, but I'm doing it my way. Pirate biner, anchor hitch, then the HitchClimber, then the old school prusik loop on the outside. Not as elegant as the "official" way, but it works flawlessly. Hitch catches fast, pulley tends well, and the hitch releases when I want it to release. It was actually fun today, even though I was barely off the ground. Everything Just Worked™

Pls forgive me big Jim, I'm from the city. Are you saying grasshoppers denuded that area changing it from the green visible in the background, to dirt?

What eats grasshoppers?

How far away are those mountains, imma guess 35 miles

Wait a minute... In that picture are you telling me that what I see as brown dirt now used to be green? Did the grasshoppers eat all the green and only thing left is dirt? Cuz I blew it up and I don't see any grasshoppers in that picture.

EDIT....I penned this 2 hours ago and didn't hit send. I echo Cory...mind-boggling to me that they eat everything to the ground. A true scourge.

Cut the limb out of that cherry today. The oak should be happier. I was gonna try setting my friction saver, but got it stuck. Had to set my line the way I normally do, and retrieve it. Guess that's why they use spliced webbing, and not knots, eh?

I'm officially done trying to use the HitchClimber as intended. Climbing has sucked since I've been trying to work it into the routine. Change my termination, change my hitch, change my hitch cord, move the biners around to different holes... None of it is close to as good as my setup a year ago. I can still use the pulley, but I'm doing it my way. Pirate biner, anchor hitch, then the HitchClimber, then the old school prusik loop on the outside. Not as elegant as the "official" way, but it works flawlessly. Hitch catches fast, pulley tends well, and the hitch releases when I want it to release. It was actually fun today, even though I was barely off the ground. Everything Just Worked™
Pics are slways better, IF you are seeking feedback.

Have you seen the O- ring MRS technique?

Not really seeking feedback I don't think. I had a good system, and tried to fix it. You know the old saying; If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

The HitchClimber is elegant and compact when used used as directed, but it just doesn't seem to suit me. Main reason is probably the knots. Even with lengthening things out(like your previous bowline suggestion), it still interferes. It also keeps things a little too close together for me to comfortably handle. Looks nice setup, but I prefer more space between the free end and the anchor. It wasn't wasted effort or money. It's still a nice pulley, and it adds less play in the system than a standard micro does. I'll give it another go when I give the ropewrench a good workout. I still haven't spent much time with it. It either isn't with me, or I want the security of familiarity to get my particular task done at the time.

What's the Oring mrs technique?

I think it's called the O-rig, working end through bridge ring clipped onto lower carabiner, upper carabiner clipped to a prussic on the working end leg.

Went to my parents to swim and have a cookout yesterday. Then grabbed some ice cream and watched the fireworks from the jelly factory parking lot. Got home around midnight. Did some more weed eating this morning and now I’ve got a lot of dirt to move. I’m filling in and sloping from the edges of my parking area. Tired of weed eating the banks and I have a small mountain of dirt ( 20 tandem loads ) in my side yard. And I have to replace the GFCI in my garage. Some time between midnight and 7 am it decided to melt and trip the breaker. At some point I’m gonna have to put a 30 amp outlet somewhere outside the garage for the camper. I think the AC kicked on in it while the cords were damp from the dew.

Might be O-rig.

Were I to climb MRS, I'd have it in my bag of tricks.

Rope walker set-ups are fantastic. When i occasionally rec climb, without the weight of work gear, it feels like floating up the rope.

Interesting idea.

Personally I would just use a loop of cord or similar between the saddle and HC to keep it at an ergonomic distance for hip thrusting. That seems simpler and quicker to set up.

Back