How'd it go today?

I'm just coasting on this truck. The bed's rotted out around the wheelwells, and it doesn't run great. If the boss wants to fix it, he can. I'm fine with the wood. I was thinking about blacking out that window anyway to keep sun out of the truck. The deal was I buy the truck, and the company takes care of everything else. Time to start winding this truck down. It doesn't have a whole lot more left in it.

I don't think now's a good time to buy. No selection and high prices is what I'm hearing, and the used market isn't better. I think I'm gonna look for a Japanese truck next. Not much out there in the sub fullsize category. I was interested in the Ranger til I saw one. Only driven behind one, but it doesn't look much smaller than an f150. Not sure what the point is.

They are dramatically smaller, but don't really get that much better mileage unless you find a 4 banger with a stick. I used to have one, and had a baby Nissan version that i learned to drive on, but if you need to carry anything bigger than a lawn mower you will quickly run out of truck. I enjoyed them, they're just lacking size for anything i like doing anymore.

Yup, I haven't done any research. I can wait a bit. I may need to get a new trailer hitch though. Current one is looking a bit sketchy for pulling my boat trailers

Back out to Chris' sawmill this morning to take down a sketchy red oak that was leaning hard over the main road. Hollow at the base.
About 80% dead above. Ran up and jumped off a bunch of weight to bring the center of mass in a little closer. Rigged a pull line and Lug-All hand winch to the base of another tree. 12kV lines across the narrow lane; had two friends stop traffic just to be safe, and landed it in the ROW along the road, as planned. He has a nice sized loader, so chained and dragged the whole thing up his lane back to his mill. 1.5 hours from pulling up to loaded up to head home. Earned a bit more milling on his awesome mill.

Have you seen the new Rangers Kyle? The only similarity to the old compact is the name. Here's some of the size specs; f150 left, Ranger right...

Screenshot_20210514-045954_Fennec.jpg

They also seem to be pushing the stupid quad cab. You know, the truck for people that don't need trucks unless you get the aircraft carrier package?

i absolutely love my 2011 ford transit connect though. only downside is carrying combustibles is no fun, but it can do a ton of work.

Looks like a good compact setup for an arborist. I need 4x4 though. I spent most of my career driving HVAC vans, and it'll never happen again. I'll quit first. You could hardly find a more inappropriate vehicle for surveying than a top heavy, one wheel drive land yacht.

I don't know why they never made a 4x4 minivan on a real truck base. The Durango got super close there for awhile. All they had to do was add a sliding door. That would be an amazingly useful vehicle, but probably doesn't look cool enough for the public.

. this was a period of my tree service after the bikes. had a 1981 VW and my friend had the lil mazda. we did an insane amount of tree work with those things. i hauled logs all across the city with that thing. it would tow a chipper and a stump grinder . granted there is no topography in the D. i used to have some great pics of it all loaded up.

45 mpg though, I really want a new one. one of the things about the big trucks is they are so high off the ground its really hard to get anything in and out of it. we hardly use the bed of our f350 at all. . its just a tow machine.

a 4×4 connect would be amazing.

they made the astro vans all wheel drive. my dad has one and has out close to 400,000 miles on it (new motor along the way) cant find anything comparable so just keeps rolling. he can haul a horse trailer with a couple cows or horses in it. great in the snow. shitty gas mileage though. horrible door handles and a classic shitty GM paint job.

Last edited:
Don't knock the quad cab til you try it, I'll never not have one now. Now granted my 350 dually is absolutely huge and doesn't really fit in parking spots because it's so long, but i can ride 4 guys and a driver in comfort. It's honestly has more leg and head room than my wife's jeep patriot, and is far more comfortable because of it. I almost never give people rides, but the seats fold up and all of that becomes awesome inside the cab storage so you can carry a ton of stuff. When i was working on the road it was a pantry/ cooking stuff/ closet/ valuable tools storage area by using plastic totes, and then when i was home all my climbing gear went there in totes. Then if you needed the seats it takes a couple min to unload the totes and you've got your seating back. Not to mention the kids love it in their little car seats, they're higher than most cars so they can see everything great :lol:

I think/know it was something the dentist put in to help the temporary filling stay in place.
Looks to me like it is a temporary root canal post. Is it plastic or metal?
One thing is that you may have not gotten all of the anatomical root out and could lead to infection just be mindful as oral infections can easily enter the blood stream and lead to sepsis quickly. Which is REAL bad.

You got the aircraft carrier edition though. A tiny little bed on back of a passenger truck isn't that useful to me, or really anyone else. You never see those trucks being used as trucks.

Don't knock the quad cab til you try it, I'll never not have one now. Now granted my 350 dually is absolutely huge and doesn't really fit in parking spots because it's so long, but i can ride 4 guys and a driver in comfort. It's honestly has more leg and head room than my wife's jeep patriot, and is far more comfortable because of it. I almost never give people rides, but the seats fold up and all of that becomes awesome inside the cab storage so you can carry a ton of stuff. When i was working on the road it was a pantry/ cooking stuff/ closet/ valuable tools storage area by using plastic totes, and then when i was home all my climbing gear went there in totes. Then if you needed the seats it takes a couple min to unload the totes and you've got your seating back. Not to mention the kids love it in their little car seats, they're higher than most cars so they can see everything great :lol:
I’d hate to be timed unloading my Ram so the rear seat could be folded back down. It’s quite packed.

Mitsubishi Mity Max with a 7.5 ft bed was my favorite small truck and it was a true 1 ton. That truck was great and would haul a load.

Now the 2008 Ranger 2.3liter 4 cyl/5 spd stick does what I need to do. Great mpg, and as long as I keep doing favors for my friends with the big iron I can borrow a chip truck, bucket truck, or full size pickup when I need.

My buddy has a 2008 too, but his is the 4.0liter, v6 Ranger and gets shit mpg by comparison. He was looking to replace it, but decided to keep it until they sort out these new electric trucks. Neighbor in Michigan works for GM - they are working on the future of trucks.

Just submitted documentation (and paid: $170 for 2 years; when I started it was $36 for two years) for my nursing license renewal. Now off to see my home health patients.

Later today daughter #3 rolls in from Austin for a five day visit. Daughter #4 coming down from Philly, too. Looking forward to some family time.

4 door right? If you can, using totes with lids really organizes it, and makes it much easier to get to. The amount of stuff i had with me when i was pipelining was obscene, i even had a battery leaf blower for cleaning the leaves out of my bed and blowing fresh air in a tie in hole for dust removal. With the lids you can stack them

Well, my '92 1500 Silverado shit the bed over the winter (3rd alternator in 2 yrs, damn rebuilds, and the head gasket went, leaking antifreeze into the engine and deep sixing it), so donated it to my firehouse for extrication practice. Knew I would need to go bigger/stronger so got lucky in my search after WuFlu and was able to put the deposit on this little guy yesterday:

1620996007751.png
2021 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X4 8' BOX

Cummins diesel and the Snow package; tow rating just south of 20K, so it will pull everything I have and make me worth more for plowing in the snow months. Was lucky to nab it, as the supply chain shortages mean unless a dealer has one in stock, you're waiting 4-6 months minimum even for a new build due to microchip shortages thanks to govt. shutdowns causing Taiwan (94% of chip mfg. globally) to shift from vehicle chips to consumer electronic chips. Dealers are telling me they may not see normal inventory flows until 2Q-2022. Confirmed here:

When I sell my current truck I'm tossing up between a Hilux and Isuzu. Just saw you can't get Hilux over there. Why Can’t I Buy a Toyota Hilux in America? | Expert Car Advice - https://carbuyingandselling.com/why-cant-i-buy-a-toyota-hilux-in-america/

Best work trucks around, you're really missing out there if that's right. My mate in Sydney bought a Ranger last year, then bought my tipper trailer to go with it.

They come with single cab, duel cab or space cab. 2 or 4 wheel drive. I'll go space cab I think.

Hilux.

2L76500DY_040_FC20_comp.009.png images.jpg Isuzu.

Last edited:
Back