How'd it go today?

The Tacoma is probably considered the US equivalent of the Hi-lux here, but is truly a mid-sized truck and offers limited towing/hauling functionality. Good for personal usage, but severely limited for commercial usage (at least as far as tree work is concerned).

Update: In looking at your last pic above Rich, the Hi-lux you have looks more like the size of the Tundra we get here. While a bigger/stronger truck, lack of 4WD option and lower towing/hauling capacity leave it below most other truck options here.

Rich, how's the hand?

Not too bad. Thanks for asking.

Saw the surgeon and physio last Friday. They were both pleasantly surprised with how much movement I have. Fingers are a bit stiff first thing but once I get them moving they loosen up a bit. Got to go back on the 28th for the stitches out and another look.

In the meantime I’ve been touching up my Noggy and looking at the ETW handbook. There is an exam date on the 15th Oct. There is a climbing element of the test. Normally I wouldn’t be bothered as it’s a piece of piss. Just depends on the hand.
Vid might work.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.MOV
    15 MB
Not super sharp, probably need the blade height adjusted or whatever. I drug 2 hackberry branches to it with the mini, both too big to put in by hand, so I used the mini. Had to hold the load a couple times to avoid stalling it, basically me and the mini were the feed auto feed wheels. It worked well, but ended up being a bit much at the brush end. I had to pull some brush out to finish feeding one of the big ones.

The mini is good for forcing 6-10" logs through. Occasionally it will suck an 8" hand fed, but often kicks out anything over 4". I think decreasing the blade gap would help it finish bigger wood and actually chip the brush. It tends to leave a strip of wood under the drum on big wood and fills the chip box with stripped sticks instead of chips.

We've put some big 20-30 footers through it in one go.

Since i shimmed the anvil higher and then gapped them correctly, mine feeds beautifully. It's only a 12 inch, so anything 5 inch on down it just gently pulls in. I would love to try feeding it with a machine

I think keeping the blades razor sharp helps. If it was mine, I'd touch up the edge with a file or a fine sanding block once per week. With bigger than 4" wood it's often like throwing a chunk of wood at a brick wall. Occasionally it feeds, often bounces off. The speed and power if the 12" woodchuck seems better than a 1400xl Vermeer.

Good day for laundry. Unfortunately, I have to go into work to do my taxes, since I forgot and left my papers there yesterday. It isn't hard or anything, I just don't want to do it. I'll checkout my clearing job while I'm there, and maybe get into that. I'll probably want a new skid path. I also want to measure the biggest logs, and see if an arch would be a good purchase. I pretty much settled on the Buck if I get one. It's twice as much as I wanted to spend, but saving money isn't saving money if a tool can't do the job. I can rig up a trolley to fit the logs the Junior can handle

Reactions: Raj
Taxes are done. Still trying to figure out who I bill my time to. Went to my project and contemplated it. Just put in for a price quote on a logrite arch from a local company. I'd be using my BidenBux®, so it's kinda free. Waiting on word from that before I proceed. I have a bunch of brushcutting to do there, but I'll wait til the wineberries are done; mid-late June. No point in taking the critter's food when I don't have to.

Test fired my new burnbarrel tonight. Burned off the previous owner, and it's mine now. I think I'm gonna punch some holes around the bottom to increase draft. Pretty sure I'm done with it til cool weather though. It's already too hot to be feeding a dragon D^:

Back