How'd it go today?

I miss snow and frost.
We haven't really had any for 5-6 years.

I wa talking to one of my old apprentices and he was reminiscing about Beech logging in heavy frost and snow.
That is long gone.

Today we log in rain and mud.

It simply sounds like John doesn't tolerate heat well, because the east coast is all but air conditioned compared to the rest of the country. 50 degrees but it's too hot in the sun? Rather be working in the rain? No way man, that's completely insane. It gets over 110 heat index here in the summer quite often, that's hot. The south is like that for half the year. But Maryland isn't that at all ever i didn't think. I don't tolerate cold anymore, so it's definitely understandable lol

Oh, it gets over 100° here with the heat index. On the bright side though, it's only humid on the days that end in "y". I wish I could easily pull up weather history. I should look into that. There's been a few times I've wanted to check was weather /was/.

I wanna live somewhere that has like a zero percent chance of me ever having to drive a reliable, good running, and otherwise good condition vehicle to the scrap yard because the frame is rotted and it’ll never pass inspection.

I remember Wisconsin can get pretty miserable about that same time. As can Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
AZ had its monsoon season. Like being in bloody hell needing a shower till it finally rains at 4pm.
Then you wake up wet the next day at 90 plus degrees.

I wanna live somewhere that has like a zero percent chance of me ever having to drive a reliable, good running, and otherwise good condition vehicle to the scrap yard because the frame is rotted and it’ll never pass inspection.
Western and southwestern states have such a thing. Cant use salt in CA.

Current conditions...

fPjv2CX.png

I have the door open, and am enjoying listening to the leaves and windchimes. 90% chance of rain today. It's sprinkled a little bit, but not much yet. Good day for treework, but a bit breezy for my locust, and I don't want to get downpoured on.

I think the solution for the locust is "Don't be a poof, and get your ass up the tree". I'm gonna have to get way up there to take the top though, and I want to finish making my treesqueeze. There's no suitable tie ins in adjacent trees, and I'm gonna be in skinnier/more crazily shaped stuff than I'd like. Once the top's off, it's just a matter of firewood sized snap cuts and toss til I get to the bigger wood, and I can then bomb them off on the driveway. I left the stuff I cut earlier this year in the grass. I'll spread them on the drive to take the impact.

I wanna live somewhere that has like a zero percent chance of me ever having to drive a reliable, good running, and otherwise good condition vehicle to the scrap yard because the frame is rotted and it’ll never pass inspection. .....
I’m good friends with Willie Brown at Southtowns Welding ... As long as it’s weldable he can fashion a suitable repair ... My pal Robbie has ny inspection license too so ... throwing it out there - send pics if interested.... Southtowns Welding & Fab - Google Search - https://g.co/kgs/hWLaHU

Here is Maryland, mid Atlantic USA. Where you walk out 6:30am in July, and get hit in the face by stinky wet wool blanket, and it only gets worse from there. I'll take working in dark drizzle over getting blasted with sun every single time; particularly with treework. Hot weather here is climb up out of the shade(which is virtually useless due to the still air and humidity), sweat pouring down your helmet, and on your glasses(if you wear them), then having your face shield light up like a Christmas tree when the sun hits it at the wrong angle(most of the angles are wrong).

Winter here is pretty good for work, especially in these later years. It's more or less a super extended fall, with maybe a single week or two of winter, often split up into individual days. That's fine for work, but you miss the beauty and pain of winter that makes spring a welcomed sight instead of an overbearing dread of the awful that's about to work you over for the next few months. I used to watch the weather, hoping for a break from subfreezing temps, and I've had frostnip twice decades ago when it still got cold here. I'd have to try to get it around here now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't exactly love working in rain, but if I *must* be out there, I'll take cool rain to Maryland heat. Since I'm doing all this for the lulz, I can cherrypick when I decide to go out. That was one of the factors that lead me not to mill yesterday. Temps were ok; ~52°, but the sun was out in full force, and since my neighbor cut down all their trees, the skeletons left on my property weren't enough to dampen it, and it was hot as hell. I was sweating with my helmet on just cutting up small branches.

Rain gets to be a PITA real quick. I prefer dry days and sunny. We get pretty stable weather systems here in the Oslo area. Summer is usually dry for weeks on end. Long daylight hours and warm. Winter is pretty cold and snow.

At the moment we are through the translation period of rain before the temps drop and it turns white.

72E7180C-184E-413B-96BD-E2FED448B3A8.png This is what I have to look forward to for the next two days. That’s why my kit looks dirty... ;)

Western and southwestern states have such a thing. Cant use salt in CA.
All the tree equipment for sale seems go be from the East coast. Chicago cars are salt-rotted. My first to go the west coast was go pick up a car sold by my Dad's employer, at 70,000 highway miles, no salt.

Current conditions...

fPjv2CX.png

I have the door open, and am enjoying listening to the leaves and windchimes. 90% chance of rain today. It's sprinkled a little bit, but not much yet. Good day for treework, but a bit breezy for my locust, and I don't want to get downpoured on.

I think the solution for the locust is "Don't be a poof, and get your ass up the tree". I'm gonna have to get way up there to take the top though, and I want to finish making my treesqueeze. There's no suitable tie ins in adjacent trees, and I'm gonna be in skinnier/more crazily shaped stuff than I'd like. Once the top's off, it's just a matter of firewood sized snap cuts and toss til I get to the bigger wood, and I can then bomb them off on the driveway. I left the stuff I cut earlier this year in the grass. I'll spread them on the drive to take the impact.
I've done some significant climbing work on days is supposed go rain, at some point.

Being in your own yard, you can be in the house in minutes. Stuff dries. Do it!

Yea, but it's also the wind. I'm really gonna be up there, and not very comfortable in the best of conditions. Yea, I'm stalling a bit, but I've gotta make sure my head's right. I need to bring my "A" game to this task, which honestly, is everyone else here's "B" or "C" game. It's gotta be done right, and I have to be committed. Without the confidence, there's more likelihood of disaster.

Working on cleaning the garage today. Guess why? It’s dang raining. Actually it’s storming t the moment. Thinking I should’ve grabbed my work lights out of the truck and made sure they were charged. It’s getting downright nasty out there

I should look into that. There's been a few times I've wanted to check was weather /was/.
Found a site that gives a friendly graphic overview. Dunno how accurate it is.

58M2rEj.png

I still want to look into NOAA's site. I'm guessing somewhere is a downloadable complete report that allows organization in interesting ways. Also, the data's libre, and I already paid for it.

Biggest tides of the year here today. 20.1 foot high tide and a minus 4.5 low tide. All the beach wood is floating around which can make for some hazardous boating. A couple harbor shots from one of our three different harbors. You can see the breakwater is barely above the water IMG_20201115_122427.jpg IMG_20201115_122528.jpg

*Really* windy out right now. I think tomorrow will be a good day for treecos. Didn't do a thing today aside from some groceries, but that's alright. Had a good day chilling, and enjoying the fall weather. Ended up making a fire. I have the door open and a fire going, listening to some mellow music. Goes well with the wind.

edit:
Just heard the gun blast of a tree breaking. Sounds like money, eh? :^D

Last edited:
Back