How'd it go today?

I’ll bring ear plugs AND muffs for my next date with that 395XP!
The 261 pretty new?
You break them in with a few tanks before porting or just have at it when new?

Chainsaw? I like the sound of the one *I'm* running, but other people's saws get on my nerves :^D

I don't mind when I'm out and about, but I'm not a fan of hearing them around the neighborhood. Sounds like trees dying.

People have the hardest time understanding, "Do you remember that last big, windy day when almost no trees blew over or were damaged?".

I’ll bring ear plugs AND muffs for my next date with that 395XP!
The 261 pretty new?
You break them in with a few tanks before porting or just have at it when new?
Yeppers ! The 261c is a few years old ... not the newest version ... Brand new or completely rebuilt is the only way I build em whether for a customer or personal ... Last thing I wanna do is hop up a clapped out older saw with the full-pull and have issues with it ... Speaking of grenading saws check out this vid I saw recently... it was a 3120 cut off converted to a chainsaw - guess a bolt went into the motor , never saw a piston split in half like that ! Think JB weld will fix it ? ......

No replacement for displacement!!!!
Yes and no ... guys run ported saws to get a more powerful saw in a lightweight , more nimble package ... That 572xp will run close to a stock 395xp or a 660 wearing 24” bars whilst being considerably lighter and using far less go-go and won’t wear the guy out .. If you absolutly need a 42” bar then you absolutely need a 90cc + class saw ... Try running an 088 or a 395xp with a long bar - I assure you the “lustre” of displacement wears thin very quickly , not to mention it wears most guys out within an hour ... Maybe @Mick! Can chime in on this - He’s got an 088 STIHL iirc

Doesn't even have to be that big. My 661 gets heavier by the minute. A light bar for the 36" would help, but it's still a heavy saw. I use the smallest saw I can get away with.

Stripped out a codom silver maple this morning and then started on a good sized red oak removal. Was able to open up one side and get most of the rigging done over the house. We will go back Monday to finish. I was climbing everyday this week as well as getting a few guys climbing that have shown interest.
Had a Stihl tech at our shop yesterday morning going over some maintenance procedures with everyone. After that boss man announced the order he just put in for saws. Happy day. Then 15 of us had a meeting in the evening. Basically going over what is expected from the crew leaders and what the aspiring climbers should expect. Showed them the beginning of my list of climbing and rigging gear we will be providing. I haven’t picked out the midrange climbing harness yet. Spent 2&1/2 hours after work tonight with a supplier going over my list and getting recommendations.

Make a deal with another tree co, fell all dead ash simultaneously, then bail. Other tree co bids high for the cleanup, and you help... but wear different uniforms or something.

Maybe get a huge dumpster or 3 side by side, and fell them onto those?

Yes and no ... guys run ported saws to get a more powerful saw in a lightweight , more nimble package ... That 572xp will run close to a stock 395xp or a 660 wearing 24” bars whilst being considerably lighter and using far less go-go and won’t wear the guy out .. If you absolutly need a 42” bar then you absolutely need a 90cc + class saw ... Try running an 088 or a 395xp with a long bar - I assure you the “lustre” of displacement wears thin very quickly , not to mention it wears most guys out within an hour ... Maybe @Mick! Can chime in on this - He’s got an 088 STIHL iirc

The 088 is not quick as such, it just has the ability to pull a long bar through hard wood, the 395 that I have, or the 066 that I stupidly sold, will probably near as dammit match it on a shorter bar but will run out of puff pulling a big bar through wood.

The new 881 is out and the review that strikes a chord is that it’s ‘less of an engine with handles and more like a chainsaw’

Anyway, picture of the 088 for attention. 22DF5A12-41A1-48A6-B64A-D0734B0049C5.jpeg

Working solo at the farm for a few days. I just moved granddaddy's old work bench back into place where we rebuilt the old wall that had rotted. 20201113_194048.jpg 20201113_184550.jpg 20201113_170525.jpg I had a little bit of rope and rigging help to move the thing. I'll post some other pictures in the "Inheriting a farm" thread.

Rich,
From which supplier do you purchase gear/equipment?
It would seem to me you'd be getting some pretty good quantity discounts with large orders.

Is it possible to have a ported saw that is no louder than the unported version?

Back