How'd it go today?

View attachment 104864Bunch of dead ash trees. Problem is that the top 2 third explode when hitting the ground. We spent most of the day raking 3 inch long twigs. We did 6 yesterday. 6 more to do and I am thinking of installing tarps on the ground and dropping each tree on the tarps.
Maybe use 2 echo 8010 blowers per person? I've wondered how well a rotary brush on a mini skid would be for raking junk.

You could buy two big blowers, maybe a powered paddle broom, or whatever they're called. Needs well-rooted grass, I think.

Maybe drop across logs to take the hit, rather than the tarps.

If you don't have a material handling machine (yet), rolling logs over onto a balance-point pivot (right shaped piece of wood/ branch) will allow you to pretty effortlessly rotate them as desired, to then roll into position.

I got tired of it. I was hoping I might have a little wiggle room compared to the tracing I made of the bar, but putting it on the saw, I still have a lot left to do. I'm using a hyper aggressive file I got for hogging out brush hook blades, but it still just makes a fine dust, and doesn't get far very fast. Not worth it to utilize the NOS bar I paid $12 for. I'll just buy a WoodlandPro bar or something.
A friend of mine used to cut timber. They got into a stand of smaller stuff and he cut down/fabbed a 14” (maybe 12”...can’t remember) bar for his Husky 268. It cut wicked fast.

Patrick, Ever try putting a rope in them with other end in another tree to lowering device, cut em at base and let them down to create less mess? Often not worth the set up time but it's a thought.

Or maybe a crane would be worth the time savings

That's just the problem of working with dead ash, they explode because they've gone so long and are so brittle. Even if you had lowered it all down processing would still make a mess. Priced according or not doing the cleanup are the only solutions so you are paid for cleaning up the mess.

Crane of course puts all clean up in one spot by chipper.

Lol sub to landscape company for the raking? Bmg with the brush? Homemade giant brush on something? Simply raise the price on the next ash you do to never be in this situation? Lol I've learned the hard way as well. Very true cory.

Dead wooded pine#2 today. Kicked my ass. Feeling better now, but when I got out of the tree, both hands/wrists were cramped to hell. Lots of sideways hinges to swing the branches over the wires/driveway. Ended up getting two limbs stuck. One was fairly big, and I had to come down from the tree to get it. The other was little, and it just disappeared. Dunno if got mixed in with the stuff on the ground, or the UPS truck drove off with it.

Spent a lot of time hanging while figuring out how I was gonna do stuff. Removed some stubs I shouldn't have. They'd have been handy for access. My line wasn't set clean, so it had some bends in it that made it difficult to get around. The stubs would have helped by allowing more freeclimbing. I need to start thinking more than one move ahead...

Verdict on my new fall arrest harness... If that were my main harness, I'd be looking for another one. Chafes a bit between my legs, and first cinch up of the climbline kinda grabs the nads, and I have to readjust :^D I'm happy with it though for it's intended purpose. I spent 2-3 hours in it, and it was functional if not ideal. It's comfortable on the ground when the suspension isn't loaded, and that's it's primary use, so that's good.

No amazing work today, and no disasters. Went slow, but pretty well. Can't complain...

Are you sure you're not out of your element working with limbs around wires? I don't know that I've ever cut sideways hinges to swing limbs to keep them out of a wire. I might have somebody with a rope on the end of the limb to pull to miss a wire but generally I don't have wires as part of an equation I have to worry about.

If wires are an issue I get a power drop. Just have to coordinate it with the power company ahead of time but it's free and those guys are quick and good to work with.

Are you sure you're not out of your element working with limbs around wires?
Probably :^P

They're just the service lines to the office/house. I know everyone here. If I wipe something out, I'd just have to call to get it fixed. Same thing that happens when the dead wood falls and hits the lines. I figure I have a potential of screwing things up, to prevent the almost certainty of things getting screwed up. Doing it on my terms, there's some latitude guiding the fall instead of straight into the lines. The larger piece I mentioned that ended up in them wasn't a direct hit. I didn't leave enough hinge wood, and it broke free before completely clearing the lines. It was just the thin tips that got stuck in the wires. The last one I did, I'd have liked to have had someone with a rope, but no one was available. It was a stout limb, and I left an extra fat hinge. The way it was setup, I could go to the other side of the leader(Twin lead top) and push it with my foot. Swung 90° before snapping off; just about perfect :^)

Cleaned up a big dead pine that broke, repaired the maple it messed up on the way down, trimmed some stuff off a big dead elm to make room to fell it. The elm is staying, I’m not sure the neighbor is actually capable of harvesting all the firewood from that mess, but no longer my problem :)
My back hurts, but I had fun.
I freakin love climbing.

It’s always best to make a mess and scoot away with the green - let the customer save on the cleanup with “sweat equity” The 395xp is callin your name Jonny :) ...

... got the 572xp shoveling chips like a boss ... Cut up 12 face cord with it and the 261c over the past week ... 572xp is a Real smooth running saw - and doesn’t wear ya out and is surprisingly good on fuel even when hotrodded - It’s defined earned a spot in the lineup :D

Thanks 😊 .... There’s more powa in there if a guy wanted , it’s just that if you go too far with them (focusing on high RPM power) they can become gas hogs and then it kinda defeats the purpose ! I’ve always approached it from the viewpoint of “The fastest saw is the one that cuts the MOST amount of wood using the LEAST amount of fuel” HP sells cars ... Torque wins races and that “recipe” 572xp has plenty of torque - you can “hear” it

I was working on top of a barn in the Katrina hurricane mess... you can see in the picture where a pine cut through his barn... I was IMG_8366.jpg using my Stihl 290 brand new saw. it ran out of gas and they brought me up a loaner somebody had sent us as part of the hurricane relief effort. I'd never used a husky 395 before. as soon as I cranked that and revved it up the immediate word that came to my mind was Beast. That was the most serious wood eating saw I had ever used. The old timer that loaned it to us was too old to come on the relief effort but he sent a really bad ass saw.

Back