How'd it go today?

The Harlem Ambassadors taught us how to drink White Russians and shoot dice one night.

I can still drink White Russians....but have forgotten how to shoot "dice".

All I can remember is that it was loud...and you threw your dice against a step at the bottom of the stairs.

Ahhhhhhhhh white Russians..... and black ones too!!!!

Im gonna have the tolerance of a high schooler if i beat this shit lol

Funny! I work on the Tongass, the largest National Forest at approximately 17 million acres (about 3 times the size of CT!)

It's a temperate rain forest, so we get our share of rain and gloomy days which is what I was getting at in the other thread. When it's nice out though, there really isn't another place that compares (at least from what I've seen).

A couple more photos from yesterday...View attachment 104825View attachment 104826

Hurrah!...another USFS big dog on the porch :).

I'm retired now, after 32 years on the Mt. Hood NF. Mostly did forestry work; reforestation mainly, but a bunch of other things as I went. Finished up as a road maint./management guy.

yeah, circling the drain Burnham but it's been a good ride. Most of my work has been related to timber & silviculture but of course you do whatever needs to get done to help others out in times of need. We probably know some same folks...

Could be...but I never moved around from place to place like most USFS employees do...spent all 32 years on the Hood. But I did some fire work, and I served for many years as a Region 6 tree climbing program instructor, technical advisor, and finally Regional coordinator.

Did you certify as a Forest Service climber or instructor? If so, did you ever attend training at the Dorena site in Cottage Grove, OR? I know we had a few Region 10 folks come through now and again. If so, we might well have crossed paths. I was pretty much a fixture there as a facilitator at the annual instructor's training/certification workshops from the early '90's until my retirement in 2012.

Could be...but I never moved around from place to place like most USFS employees do...spent all 32 years on the Hood. But I did some fire work, and I served for many years as a Region 6 tree climbing program instructor, technical advisor, and finally Regional coordinator.

Did you certify as a Forest Service climber or instructor? If so, did you ever attend training at the Dorena site in Cottage Grove, OR? I know we had a few Region 10 folks come through now and again. If so, we might well have crossed paths. I was pretty much a fixture there as a facilitator at the annual instructor's training/certification workshops from the early '90's until my retirement in 2012.
No climber stuff for me job wise...that stuff is off the job and quite limited and in my past. I quit the fire gig back about 17 years ago and haven't looked back…but I do miss the adrenaline of cutting fireline snags etc. I'm still very active in the training aspect of saw operations up here and can elaborate more via pm if you wish.

Didn't do a damned thing today. Rained, so I took off work. Temps fell to the 50s, so I have the door open to get some cool air. Getting started on organizing a 'saw supply shelf'. Got my reels of chain and files on it. I'll have to dig up my other misc stuff too. My back neighbor sounds like he's banging on a steel trashcan. No idea what he's doing, but it's irritating as shit.

I was admiring my white oak out front. That's the one where I'm removing a locust to give it room. The leaves are really pretty on those trees. Just brown, but they're a rich mahogany color, and I like the way they hang on a long time and rattle in the wind. I got a picture, but it doesn't look like anything. Guess you gotta be there :^D Locust removal time is coming very soon. I was hoping to find a TIP in a nearby tree, but I don't think it's happening. Need to finish my treesqueeze for a little extra insurance.

... bucking firewood with hot-rod pocket rocket 50cc; fun and also lucrative and ya get the heart pumpin ! ... That saw in its present configuration will simply annihilate a stock ms 261c OR a Husqvarna 550 ; especially @Mick! s 550 :D

Last edited:
Really surprised us.

We got a 330 dollar EBT card for each kid this summer.

We are in the broke ass school lunch program, so our Governor sent out these cards during the shut down.

My vote is for sale....just like anyone's.

Anyway....we bought the cards from the kids to use for groceries.

Just like the "box tops" program....this EBT is bullshit!

Junk food basically.

I bought a big bag of spinach. Nope.

Brussel sprouts? Nope.....I dont blame them for that though.
that is weird, here you can use them at farmers markets. no cooked food though.

Right now I'm widening the bar slot on an unused bar I have. It's for the 026. I'm doing it with a file, and it's slow going. I might get tired of it before I get the slot big enough :^D
I got tired of it. I was hoping I might have a little wiggle room compared to the tracing I made of the bar, but putting it on the saw, I still have a lot left to do. I'm using a hyper aggressive file I got for hogging out brush hook blades, but it still just makes a fine dust, and doesn't get far very fast. Not worth it to utilize the NOS bar I paid $12 for. I'll just buy a WoodlandPro bar or something.

The bitterness of poor quality will remain long after the sweetness of low price has been long forgotten

In reference to WoodlandPro? I like their bars for consumer saws. Better than the off the shelf selection for Poulan, echo, et al. It's no Stihl bar, but it's also about 1/3 of the price. I'm not sure how happy I'll be with the setup, so I want to save some money up front in case I don't like it. My intention is to change the 026 to 3/8. I'm thinking it'll be fine with a 16" bar, maybe even an 18", but I'll start with 16" to get a feel for it.

20201112_084835.jpg Bunch of dead ash trees. Problem is that the top 2 third explode when hitting the ground. We spent most of the day raking 3 inch long twigs. We did 6 yesterday. 6 more to do and I am thinking of installing tarps on the ground and dropping each tree on the tarps.

Back