How'd it go today?

Nice day today.
Lawns all mowed short for easy leaf blowing
Attended a fiddle workshop taught by the great Buddy Spicher this evening.

Thanks for the advice. I called a few people I know to check on me and my wife is around. No swelling so far. I Ioaded on Benadryl. Most places they stung left a little bruise. In retrospect, I should have told the client that we would take care of the nest and would come back later for the tree. We knocked the nest down before leaving the site so I will go there for a couple days and spray it on the ground and run fast. One thing I was glad about is to have my zigzag and ropes well managed and not tangled in a big limb. Getting stuck in a moving rope system because the rope is stuck would have meant more pain.
Tree climbing is ALWAYS a self-rescue situation. You and you alone will be the one to save yourself in a bad situation. A couple close calls early on in my climbing career taught me that and I learned to ALWAYS have a clear shot to the ground.

Still never liked SRT though. Doubled rope had too many advantages to outweigh the negatives of SRT in my opinion.

Just did 3 days of dawn till dusk logging, trying to finish a job before my operation.
Stayed in a cheap rooming house for migrant workers.
Luckily there was a good Indian restaurant near by.
Good chow is essential after killing trees for 10 hours.

I asked the forester to walk through the area beforehand and count how many trees were marked for felling, so we'd have an idea what we were up against.
He called me and said he brought his girlfriend with him and they counted 110 trees.

We'll Richard and I have felled 150 in 3 days and there are at lest 50 to go.

I don't know what those young people were doing in the woods, but tree counting wasn't it.

Not to brag, but the norm is 10-12 per man in an 8 hour day, so we were really going great.

Last edited:
Looks great, Pat. Damn, but I have always hated sheet rocking. Even more than I dislike painting.

I do pretty good on most of the building trades and home maintenance stuff...but those two I have to seriously get my steam up before I can dive in :).

My boss rents one from the Amish hardware store. I think it's $25/day, and 70¢/post. I might have the numbers wrong, but it's very reasonable. He rents on Saturday, cause they're closed Sunday, so he gets a free day of rental :^D

Back