How'd it go today?

That 200 dollar welder is seeming really cheap right about now huh? Hell yeah Stephen, you can tell by looking at the original welds how cold they were, and then they finally got one hot enough and left it underfilled so it cracked in the center. Perfect spot to stick weld too, virtually impossible to clean that.

Yeah, tight spaces. Scrape with a sharp screwdrive and finish with a wire brush. I weld for shit since I never get consistant practice, and never on the flat plane. Always upside down and sideways :lol: .
Im more of a grinder than a welder im afraid. Took me forever to score this Lincoln. They get snapped up quick. Used for $150.00 score. Pulled it apart and cleaned the coils. New leads and a ground clamp. You should see the hot messes that sell for 250 around here.

Cleaned house and more cleaning, culling, and organizing in my workshop. Put up some firewood. Happy to see the drainage work is improving things at my gf's house, but still room to go. Previously, the driveway drain was not known to exist. Now it's partially unplugged, needing a section replaced. Not sure if it's daylighted or not, ATM.
1.1" of rain was forecasted for today.

Dry tomorrow for some work. Not sure what. Maybe a jumbo grand fir that I don't think I'll be able to chip until spring...access problems all wet season.

Skipped work this morning...course is closed for the season now. Will go in tomorrow and do a final cleanup of the range.

Dr. today..got some cancer removed from my face. Crowded waiting room took far longer than the actual visit...

Today kicked my ass. Combined with yesterday too I guess. Laying out test holes. Not that many, but they're all over the place, and some were in some really shitty locations. That means lots of walking, lots of work, but not a lot to show for it. Been getting cramps cause of all the slope walking, and someone here(Bermy, Jonny?) mentioned magnesium. I'm gonna see if 750ml of Gerolsteiner water helps. It has a lot of magnesium for water. My favorite sparkling water, and I kinda forgot I had it. I save it as a treat, and forget it's there. Guess I'll know tonight...

That does sound weird Jim! Hell, I can't get my Docs to leave me alone...they must be lonely...

7 hrs today and all finished with the course and the range. Boss will call if he needs help with anything else... :D
Glad the season is basically over...on to hibernation & fiddling! Have three online workshops on western swing improv. I'm scheduled to attend in the next two weeks... fiddler.gif

Last edited:
Crane day. Went flawlessly. Boss underbid this job and has been putting it off hoping they would get someone else. I demanded a crane and we made money even after paying his fee. Guess what? I’m now allowed to use him when ever I see fit. Crane op is top notch. 20+ years with a large local tree co. Basically was told that when the dad passes you’re the first to be let go because you cost to much. Never cost them a dime after that was muttered, and bought his own crane. Guess who just got the city contract they had locked in for 17 straight years. And guess who my crane op is. Karma is a bitch and I saw him smile when I told him we took a large chunk of their work.
Only problem I can see is I’m now the estimator and crane baby. I’m gonna have to slack in one of those and it ain’t gonna be chasing the pill.

Finally tasted the poison of dozens of bald face hornets. Got the stung, saw the nest between the ground and me. I made the quickest descent on a zig zag ever done. It was 6 hours ago. Heart rate is finally at rested levels. It was the most intense pain in the shortest amount of time. The nest seemed far away enough but I was wrong.

Yea, glad you're alright. That's probably a pretty uncool part of treework, and something I never really considered. If I get into them on the ground, I can simply run away. You're kinda screwed in a tree. Limited access, may have a running danger tool, and you're literally tied to the tree. I suppose if you're really lucky, they could fly up your helmet, or get into vents D^:

My uncle got into a hornet’s nest a couple of weeks ago. Stung between 60-75 times. Spent a night in the hospital. Bad business.

Jeez. I can't imagine. I think three's the most I've had at one time. Ya know, I've been working outside 33 years, and I could count my stings on two hands. Most of the times I've been stung was stupid stuff. Putting my hand on a wasp on top of the truck or something. I've brushed against hornet nests, driven stakes through yellowjacket nests at least twice, and worked freshly grubbed ground full of jackets trying to find their homes, and nothing. I've been exceptionally lucky.

Dang , Patrick, that's bad. I'm glad you are apparently on the mend

Work was boring stuff. I did remove one of the birches I mentioned in a post awhile ago. I mentioned removing them all, and putting in some river birch, but I'm just gonna see what happens for now. Also, a huge limb/leader fell out of a tulip poplar, and I got that mostly bucked up before I had to do some of my real work. Used my new 026. It worked pretty well, but a couple times it dogged out in the cut. Not sure what to think of that yet. I had the bar buried, but it was only tulip poplar. I'll have to keep my eye on it. I still like it better than the PoulanPro.

My boss did something with my ash log, and that spaz doesn't know what he did with it :^S It's not a huge deal, but I liked that log. It was near a fork union, so it was a twisted mess. That made it a good chopping block for repointing stakes. I guess I'll have to search the farm for my log :^/

Wind storm work.
Bid a couple jobs today.
Picked the kids up at 2, 330 Viola lesson for her.
Scoped the third on the way home.
Dinner time was just called.

How's the swelling, Patrick? Hopefully you have antihistamines on hand for the swelling. Watch for breathing issues and I hope you have somebody with you to keep an eye on you.
Thanks for the advice. I called a few people I know to check on me and my wife is around. No swelling so far. I Ioaded on Benadryl. Most places they stung left a little bruise. In retrospect, I should have told the client that we would take care of the nest and would come back later for the tree. We knocked the nest down before leaving the site so I will go there for a couple days and spray it on the ground and run fast. One thing I was glad about is to have my zigzag and ropes well managed and not tangled in a big limb. Getting stuck in a moving rope system because the rope is stuck would have meant more pain.

Attachments

• 20201015_084934.jpg
    20201015_084934.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
Back