How'd it go today?

M and I washed all the windows, inside and out, on the first floor of the house today. We'll get after the second story windows tomorrow.

These weeks of heavy wildfire smoke have left residue that was like looking through fog. All shiny now :). The girl is happy happy ;).

A picture of me pulling the new to us disc drill.

I am seeding winter wheat into organic lentil stubble.

Several reasons to do this.

Living root in the soil, lessen erosion, stabilize the nitrogen fixed by the lentils, provide early competition for the canada thistle and other weeds, and provide grazing for sheep or cattle.

The grazing helps cycle the nutrients and hurts the weeds.

If it grows, we will have it grazed off by June or so.

Follow with German Millett.

Graze that in the winter.

Follow the next spring with a cash crop.

The lack of tillage and soil disturbance will be much better for the microbes and fungi.

Tillage kills the good stuff along with the bad.

As close to no till organic as we can get. Thanks largely to the disc drill.

The local NRCS doesn't know of another local producer doing this.....or a local who bought a disc drill for soil health.

So......there!

I also tipped up my Trump hat so no one would send me hate mail.

Some new 10 plys :)
Gotta make an appointment to get them mounted.
I love Amazon.View attachment 104157
Get some balancing beads and mount them yourself!

I had a first last Friday. Went up a very winding drive to look at a tree for a customer, after being assured the Drive was wide enough for a gooseneck trailer. Left front trailer tire found a nice 6” diameter stump about the same in height. Actually bent the rim and popped the tire off. Grabbed the jack and impact and changed it out. Ordered a new rim off Amazon before I got back on the road. Already had a new tire on standby.

That is awesome, Jim. And a lot of that info actually makes sense to me, thanks to your many previous posts on the subject of farming, regenerative ag, and soil health :drink:

Changed some oil and tie rod ends, cut, split, and stacked some maple that’s been sitting in the truck since last weekend. Beat the rain anyways. Thinking maybe scary movies tonight.

Went to my mother's today. She wanted me to look at her main tv, her upstairs tv, and her computer. The main tv was probably a comcast network issue. It was working when I got there. The upstairs tv has a dead comcast box( I should have checked the wallwart specs. It might just be that, and I have plenty laying around), and the computer I think is dead. It'll bootup fine, but longer than a few minutes on the desktop, and it shuts off dead. Totally drops. I'm guessing it has some bad caps. It's about that time. It's 15 years old now.

Debating on giving her my old craptop. It's ancient too, but it works. For awhile I had a problem where it wouldn't go to desktop after waking up. I had to do something I can't remember now, but my mother would never be able to do it. I think I had to pull up a terminal, then exit again and it would go to desktop. I haven't used it in a couple years. I'll have to check it out. I seem to remember that issue was fixed, but who knows?

I bought us Chinese food for dinner, and I still don't feel that great. I ate too much, and I don't particularly like the place she likes. It's one of those Asian generalist restaurants that don't do anything particularly well.

edit:
1.png

2.png

Last edited:
Ruel, that is a postcard!

Care to tell some about the sauna? Wood fired? How often do you go in?

Alex and I brought the boys to the farm today. We plan to work on Grandaddy's shop replacing the old rotten wood and just firming things up in general. While planning things out we realized we had a visitor in the shop that we had to stop and visit with.

Attachments

• 20201010_172608.jpg
    20201010_172608.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201010_172613.jpg
    20201010_172613.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201010_172739.jpg
    20201010_172739.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201010_173013.jpg
    20201010_173013.jpg