How'd it go today?

I feel badly because we keep driving past their place thinking we should stop in and see how they are doing and now many months later we find out. I am just trying to think what we can do. They were more than husband and wife, they had that soulmate thing going on.

He could probably use a visit from Haley.

Frans,
I think you need a case spreader to get the carrier out.
The Sterling rear end has not been a real good one. You may want to have the pinion bearings checked at the same time.

O.k. spent yesterday and this morning yanking out the differential.

I found out the rear end on my truck is a STERLING! :(

So it is one of the cheapest rear ends.

In light of the knowledge that I own a crappy differential, I decided to spend the 160 bucks for a clutch pack and then drive it until it craps out.

After that, if I am still interested in the truck, I will upgrade to something better.

Hey all the advice really helped, thank you all.

slayed two truck fulls of Virginia Pine. Roadside work......good for winter, somewhat boring though. It was 11 degrees this morning, so a late start:D

sorry you had to find out your rear end was crappy frans, thats kinda poopy news.
we took a 2 foot diameter fir off a house today, wasnt worth taking photos

More palm trees today, I finished all that I could reach on that condo property. Total of about 185 palms in two days. My average time was 4.5 minutes per palm for the two days including breaks and setting up/ moving the truck. I'd like to get Jerry's helmet cam so I can record how to trim a palm. 8)

Tomorrow I'm cleaning up and demossing a few oak trees, more tedious stuff. I'm hankering for a couple big removals so I can pull out the big saws and throw some chips! :whine:

I'm pulling off Spanish moss, we call it 'demossing'. I think I even posted some pictures of another big demossing job I did last year. :)

I'm pulling off Spanish moss, we call it 'demossing'. I think I even posted some pictures of another big demossing job I did last year. :)

I have done alot of that, I guess I was hoping you would have the 'in' on what is is.

About once a year we work at a winery and they have several black oaks which get covered with spanish moss. So we climb around and hook the clumps with the pole saws and it takes all day for one tree.

My understanding is that it is a lichen, and so is not a parasite.

Am I right in thinking this?

Oh my God, Willie! Did you do that job today? I consider myself fortunate that I've never had to clean up a fatal accident scene. Man, that's gotta suck. :cry:

My old tree service spent the better part of a day cutting out a fallen oak tree before they could get a body out. That job was hard on the guys.

Frans, Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) is not a lichen or a moss. It is a flowering plant that is actually in the same family as pineapples (Bromeliaceae). It is not a parasitic plant.

Frans, Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) is not a lichen or a moss. It is a flowering plant that is actually in the same family as pineapples (Bromeliaceae). It is not a parasitic plant.

I know it is not a parasite. The only parasitic trait is has is to cover the canopy which in turn blocks photosynthesis.

Altho I think folks want it out to give a 'clean' appearance to their trees.

I like the look of it.

Spanish moss will NOT grow in areas of poor air quality.

Food for thought.

ps: I had no idea of the genus of spanish moss, thanx.

Nope! Did one little tree in about 10 minutes for $300, raining like hell, then drove for a hour and a half to the next bid 3.5 miles past the pavement into the foothills and it was too wet to get the bucket truck back there and the tree was splitting so I didn't want to climb it. Made a date for next week if it doesn't fall over by then. House was built in 1879, an old cattle operation, huge tree of heaven in the back. Spent 3 hours driving back there and then going home. When I get home some other guy from my town has a palm tree leaning over in his back yard. I go over there and he has gotten a construction lift from his work and is taking it down himself. He put a chain around the tree and tied it to a semi and pulled it back up.

Oh my God, Willie! Did you do that job today? I consider myself fortunate that I've never had to clean up a fatal accident scene. Man, that's gotta suck. :cry:

no i wasnt on that, probably only EMS.
i do have to go look at one that failed and pinned a man in bed. the land lord wants a report for protection. our soil is so saturated that a tree i worked on today slid down the bank before falling. theres no structure left

Well, we got part of the storm. The wind hit us but no rain to speak of. Boise is on the edge of high desert and we never seem to get enough rain or snow. I removed a small walnut tree between two houses with a window box and a gas meter below. The wind was gusting in the 30mph range. Afterward I went to the dump where it is higher and more exposed. There the wind was a steady 30 mph and gusting up to 50 mph. I was worried about my truck tipping over with the dump bed up. At one point I could hardly open my truck door because of the wind.

I have a weeks worth of work here and a very slow trickle of work. I am not certain I will get any new work out of yesterday's windstorm. I have half a mind to go visit my Mom in California where they received major amounts of storm damage. It would be difficult getting the truck to California right now as a lot of the major passes are closed over the Sierra's. Maybe if work stays slack I will head over in a week or two and poach some California tree work.

Back