How'd it go today?

You would think they would all be looking for drunk drivers.

Depends on what time it was, and DOT doesn't really worry about that. Their job is to keep us safe from mean ole truckers like you who are operating unsafely:lol:

Dammit, that WAS funny!!!!:D

In KS, we have town cops, county cops, Hi Po's, State troopers, the a special division that runs around in DOT trucks (man they hate being called that:lol: )
Any one of them can stop you, the troopers and DOT trucks have the equipment on board, anybody else has to wait for one of them to show up. Needless to say, they don't stop many. But the DOT trucks are busy all the time!!!

DOT is state by state BTW! Here it's KDOT, Misouri, it's MDOT etc.

so in washington or wisconsin if there are three of them at a checkstop, is it fair to call them 'w, w, w, dot"? :D

Here it is all through the highway patrol. Some of them drive a pickup with a camper on it with portable scales and a creeper and stuff in it. These guys focus on trucks. On a holiday they usually take the day off or are on drunk driver patrol. They are not reputed to be very kind to any truck not in compliance here either.

Heard a grinding sound in the rear end of my truck.

It is a 86 Ford f350 w/ limited slip rear end.

So, popped of the cover, and found a broken spring clip.

Does anyone know the answers to these questions:

1. Is there any way to replace the spring clips without tearing the whole axle apart?
2. If not, can I just yank out all the clips and then have a normal non-limited slip axle?
3. Should I just leave the remainder of the clips in there? Or will they fall out and grind up the gears?

Sure am not looking forward to yanking off the whole axle. I will if I have too but I am not good enough to align the gears properly so will have to bring it to someone to do for me.
3rd. pix is of the clip properly seated.
And last pix is where the clip is missing (see pix #1)
Thanks

Sorry Frans, from what I remember, no you cannot do it in the truck, and yes it will eat up the gears!!
Good news, it's not that hard!! Unless you have center caps that are held on by the wheels, you don't have to even take off the wheels and tires!!! Eight bolts a side, axles are out, four bolts on pumpkin and it's out.

The ONLY other thing is if you can get the spider gears out and slip the new clip in then, but it's been a while, sorry!! If nobody else comes u with a better answer, I can make a couple phone calls if you like, might even be able to get some replacement parts at cost?

A Dana 60 ??

Hell if I know. Damm I should be able to look it up in my spec. book but all I can find is that it is a 10.25 " ring gear, limited slip, 4:10 gear reduction, full floating rear axle.
I do have the removable tag which was bolted to the diffy cover, if that helps. I couldn't get the numbers to match on any of my reference books.

Supposed to rain in Thur, and I am working (minus the chip truck) tomorrow.

Frans,
I think you need a case spreader to get the carrier out.
The Sterling rear end has not been a real good one. You may want to have the pinion bearings checked at the same time.

If my memory serves me right, you can pull the pin and change spiders without removing the carrier from the housing. use grease to keep the shims on the spiders and to keep the top and bottom spiders in place.

It appears in the pics to be an open rear end wich would allow you to access the spiders inside the rear end housing as opposed to a posi rearend wich has clutches in it that would force you to split it.

Red dog, I think the Sterlings came on later models. This truck is an 1986.

Hope to god I dont have to use a case spreader. Maybe I could find one to rent from the local parts house....

I'll will deal with it later this week (rain depending). My friend has a shop so I get parts at cost.

When my friend comes over, we will figure it out.

I am scared of taking the gears apart. I think you have to mark them carefully so they go back in, in exactly the same way, same cogs touching everything. Hell I have taken apart trannies, and transfer cases before so it shouldn't be too hard.

So, I will get my friend to walk me through it.

When I get further into it, I'll let ya'll know what happens. Sure appreciate all the good advice. Thanks

It appears in the pics to be an open rear end wich would allow you to access the spiders inside the rear end housing as opposed to a posi rearend wich has clutches in it that would force you to split it.

I spy the clutches in each picture of the carrier.

I'm am a GM fellow, no Ford experiance. Hope your buddy gets you fixed up right proper Frans.

often times its faster and cheaper to get another rear end (complete) from a wrecking yard and swap the whole thing. setting up gears is a pain! good luck

Shouldn't be any set up involved. He is just going to replace the clutch pack for the LSD. Pull the four bolts and caps, drop the pumpkin and make sure you put the shims back in the way they came out. Unless there is a lot of wear, nothing should have changed from the day it was set. I am not sure about the spreader though!

Shouldn't be any set up involved. He is just going to replace the clutch pack for the LSD. Pull the four bolts and caps, drop the pumpkin and make sure you put the shims back in the way they came out. Unless there is a lot of wear, nothing should have changed from the day it was set. I am not sure about the spreader though!

IF you install new bearings do you then have to set it up from scratch?

IF you install new bearings do you then have to set it up from scratch?

YES!!! The only time I had to replace the bearings was when I changed out my old F150, the pinion bearing was stuck and I had to heat the bearing to get the pinion gear out, hosing the bearing.
Oddly enough, the tolerances where so close, I went from a 3:42 open, to a 3:73 LSD carrier, that no additional shimming was needed, even with all new bearings!! I had the shim kit there and ready to go, set everything back the way it came apart, right in spec!! Backlash was .010" and the gears meshedjust about perfect!! I got lucky!!!

Back