How'd it go today?

But isn't that why they hired a pro in the first place? Heck, if damaging property is OK the danged gardener could do probably it.

Okay, NO the gardener can NOT climb 80' Washingtonia's and yes, there is the possibility for damage, I don't care how careful you are. CYA.

No. I don't buy the "no damage clause." Maybe if the homeowner allowed a dead tree to get so bad it couldn't be climbed and rigged, buts that's about the only way I'd expect such a clause.

Anyone can tear stuff up, that's easy.

I do jobs like that all the time. I think to myself "idiots!" but I don't tear their stuff up because of their stoopidness.

There's RARELY a good excuse for damaging property, IMO.

I got to drop a monster pine into a house once. It tore through the first story, blasted apart the chimney, and came to rest in the living room.

the house was being torn down.

Sure felt good!

We get damage waivers if we have to roll heavy equipment over their property. That includes the chip truck on questionable driveways.

I gotta agree, we get hired due to experience, and having the right training and know how to do those jobs without damage.

MB is right, what seperates a pro from joe blow if the pro requires a waiver saying he is not responsible for any damages??

Obstacle or not, you get to view the job prior to submitting a bid, so its not a suprise to you if the pool is in the middle of a bunch of palms.

Yeah, Iwant to see some pics of this PITA job!!! Might help us understan it, and come up with some better ideas?

Al. You are correct-it was in AZ.

Re the damage liability waiver. Cool for the Monkey. I don't ususally get such things but I have gotten a few verbals..(that I trusted) that a fence or garden googaw could be broken without consequence to me. In those cases the client expectation was that "This pro won't demolish my house and will be responsible if he does but I don't want to pay for extraordinary measures to avoid all risk to my xyz piece of junk that I'm already planning to replace."

Agreed, that was cool that Monkey was wise enough to include that, and the customer trusted him enough to agree. :thumbup:

I finally got my truck back today. It wasn't anything in the fuel injectors, just restriction from the aftermarket fuel preheater. They bypassed it, changed out a fuel line that mechanic #1 missed and it was good to go. $470.

The question is, should I pay the first mechanic his invoice of $175 even though he didn't fix the truck, and part of the problem was something he charged me to do but didn't do (replace all the fuel lines)? He also took a drivable truck and rendered it undrivable, requiring me to pay $350 to have it towed. I'm considering just 'losing' the bill until I hear from the guy. I suspect he won't ever call.

thanks guys and V. The apt fully knew that them putting in the decking would double the price of each removal but they still did it anyway so why wouldnt i CMA with the wavier .its really no different than having them sign one so u can drive across the grass or up the driveway even when u know your going to damage something by doing it

Brian, I would not only refuse his bill, I would demand he pay for the tow.
If he contracted to fix your truck and you drove it in, he worked on the truck and made the problem worse(not being driven out), he should foot the bill to move the truck to a shop that can (and did) fix the problem.

I wouldn't pay him, and I would ask he pay for the tow, but I wouldn't expect that.

By "wouldn't pay" I mean hell would freeze over before that happened.

Ya Brian I wouldn't pay no way, and I might mention being billed for something that didn't actually get done while asking for the tow bill to be covered. Sounds like bs to me.

Congrats on getting your truck back and going though.8)

$470 and you are up and running again? Sweet! Happy New Year!

I got a call for a bid today, the third one in the last week. Weird, but I am good with it. The lady who called told me her address and described her trees and Deja Vu set in. Sure enough I have worked for them twice when I was with my old company Timberline. They say they found me in the book so I don't feel guilty stealing another job from Timberline. The husband holds me in high regard as he watched me remove a large dead cottonwood with power lines on every side of it. I have already removed two of their trees now I may whack another one. These folks haul and cut up brush themselves. Perfect.

I've never asked for any kind of a waiver. I try and bid the jobs high enough to cover any measures that have to be taken.
I took down a couple of privits and a 22" dbh pecan tree today. I'm beat. Place was a mess. We had to cut all the trunk up and throw it over a fence and into the trailer.
Glad your truck is running Skwerl. If I was your first mechanic, I would have a hard time charging someone for messing their truck up.

I got stopped by the dot officer today. He was not to kind. I had no idea that trailers were required to have an annual inspection, just like the truck.

WEll now I know and will not make that mistake again. Not to bad of a hit to the pocketbook $250.00

Back