How'd it go today?

wow 4 yards? bent frame?

Nah I got coarse wet sand right now which on the chart on my sander says 3240lbs per yard x 2.5 yards (severly overloaded and a rookie bobcat driver had probably dumped close to a 1/2 yard into the sides of my box over the last week)= 8,100 plus the sanding unit weighs 800lbs(aprox) for 8,900lbs give or take on the weight of the sand. No matter how you add it up I was severly overloaded. I don't beleive the frame to be bent, I've washed it and looked in the dark with a flashlight and can't tell if any springs are broke or just re-arched.:D

Once I get a minute to catch up I'll get my local spring shop to build me up some hardcore leaf packs and not have to worry about it again. Until then I'm a little lopsided.

With dry sand you'd be really close with that guesstimate. Our pile is not covered and normally we just don't stockpile much and use it up, but we had to stock up for the holidays so we wouldn't get caught short and then it's snowed a ton all over it and melted and snowed some more. Soaking, freezing sand sucks for spreading.

Yeah Justin, how's the neck?

An update on my truck if anyone is interested. I checked on it this morning and it had not been touched all week. So I called the towing company and within an hour I had it hooked up and took it over to a place recommended by the GMC dealership.
http://transdiesel.net/index.php
The tow was $350 and the old mechanic with 30 years experience on Detroits will be looking at my truck first thing in the morning. I have been promised an update by telephone before lunchtime tomorrow. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's something relatively minor and I just might maybe somehow be able to have my truck back by tomorrow night, although they have not promised me anything.

Yes. The second guy was going to look at it while it was still at the first guy's shop. But that was Monday and he was going to look at it after Christmas. Today is Thursday and as of 11am this morning the truck still had not been touched. So I quit waiting and did something.

I was still sick today so I'm glad I lined up a bucket guy yesterday to work today. They got quite a bit done. Tore the telephone wire off of the house though. Brian, good luck with your truck motor.

pruned a big valley oak today centrally located in the front lawn area of the original house on the winery property.

70-80 feet tall, but good branch structure for climbing. Two of us climbing. just major deadwood removal. No roping.

Damm near kicked my butt. I took almost an hour longer than my other climber to do my half.

gotta get into shape. this holiday stuff and winter time is taking its toll on me...

With dry sand you'd be really close with that guesstimate...

Dry sand weighs more than wet sand ;).

We took down 7 trees (4 of them were fairly small) today, I mounted the scope, and tried to get it zeroed in the failing light. Still wrapping my mind around mils, and more importantly, how the elevation knob relates to them.

Brian, that wrecker bill sucks, hopefully the mechanic bill will be next to nothing :)

THe neck is doing well-I got de-stapled yesterday. I have a bit of sinus yuck going on and todays forecast was for snow and wind-we did get a little but the forecaster was earning his $$ being wrong again.So today I did nothing save take my wife to the doc and lunch. Tomorrow i'm scheduled to wreck 3 pines...well fell 1 and wreck 2. They aren't big but the 2 to piece out have tiny drop zones and a plethora of wires so I'll have to cut and pitch every piece.

Brian, I sincerely hope that your truck comes back soon, running well and for a minimal outlay of money.

Dry sand weighs more than wet sand ;).

Eh? How do you figure that? According to the little chart/sticker on my spreader:

Coarse Dry 2565/yd

Coarse Wet 3240/yd

From my own experience the wet sand seems considerably heavier than the dry sand we had earlier in the year.

I cut down one silver maple, pruned another and killed a bunch of trees of heaven. I bid and got a job yesterday which was very surprising. Its an easy one I can do by myself.

I did a pile of nothing.
ok, I cleaned the fishtank, watched TV, made a couple phone calls (personal, not work related), had breakfast, late lunch/dinner. Now contemplating running the vacuum around as the wife is working late.
heck, its holiday time! :)

1 MIL =1" at 100yds, 10" at a 1000yds. What are having troubles with?

Obviously you're having much larger troubles than I.

To start off with, 1 mil is 3.6" at 100 yards. 1 MOA is NOT 1" at 100 yards.

:P

Justin, I am mistaken. If it wasn't for the air space, dry sand would weigh more than wet.

I did a pile of nothing.
ok, I cleaned the fishtank, watched TV, made a couple phone calls (personal, not work related), had breakfast, late lunch/dinner. Now contemplating running the vacuum around as the wife is working late.
heck, its holiday time! :)

Paul, you have the life! I am hoping for an early day today, the tree guys and the landscaping guys are off, just have to get the lawn guys back to the yard at a decent hour and close up shop for the weekend.

Easy there killer, I was just jesting.

I believe you were refering to M.O.A (minute of angle) which is 1.0472" at 100 yards. A mil, short for a mil radian, is 3.687" at 100 yards. There are roughly 3.4MOA in 1 MIl.

My problem was the knob is (just found out) in MOA, the reticle is based on mils. Why anyone would custom order a scope like this, I do not know. The knob is in 1/2 MOA, which is again an oddity for this setup. The knob can come in 1/10 Mil, 1/4 MOA, and 1/2 MOA. Since 1/10 of a mil is around .36", 1/2MOA is roughly .5", and 1/4MOA is around .25", this further increases my baffledness. The reticle with this scope (Horus H37) is designed to be used without dialing in the knobs. Thus, basically all the knobs are used for is dialing in the zero. If you are going to use MOA on the elevation, why not use as fine as possible (1/4MOA) so the zero can be dialed in as close as possible?

The windage is in mils I'm nearly certain, which makes sense.

I'll call the mfg when they open. Give them the serial number, they can tell me all about the scope. [/blathering]

Back