How'd it go today?

so far so good. another 3 hours of installing components and software. went back to computer store today, another gig of ram, a cordless keyboard and mouse kit, 2 gig usb dflash drive and some software.
just sticking Itunes on now... back later!

3 hours to assemble... PFFFTTTT Rookie! :P

I've gotten down to an hour and a half from unpacking to at least having an OS installing.

ha, good time! I had to gut and ravage my old cpu, assemble the new bits and the old bits, then drive to the comp store to see a techie cuz the system wasnt recognizing my old data drive (thats how I figured out BOTH of my hard drives went at the same time) techie figured maybe my powersupply surged and fried them. Once the system would boot, it has just been legwork to install stuff. and reboot like a hundred times. oh well, its not as bad as it could have been.

Paul, you *might* be able to freeze the drives and harvest the data with a live cd of most any Linux distro. It can be done sometimes if the drive has some life left in it.

do tell J, you are speaking foreign to me at the moment.
I must say though, I love this little USB drive thingy, 2 gigs for 27 bucks, its the cats arse! I just used Nero to do a select file backup, about 500 megs, it zapped it on to the little USB thingie in like 25 seconds. makes a snazzy keychain! haha
t_1422_01.jpg

All this computer talk is making me sleepy... LOL:lol:

My second date with my new lady-friend went well... we are gonna see each other again tomorrow.:)

Gary

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................... That will be date number three!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!:)

do tell J, you are speaking foreign to me at the moment.

Sorry... data recovery is part of the job I interviewed for yesterday. D'oh!

Sometimes, you can take your "dead" hard drives and stick them in a freezer for a few hours. In some cases, it can get it to work long enough to use a CD-based live version of most any linux operating system to act as an operating system, thus enabling you to access a hard drive and recover some or most files if the drive motor, read/write head, or circuit boards aren't fried to oblivion.

Please note, that your mileage may vary and results are not always guaranteed.

As for how my day went... it had highs and Lowes. The van(my brother's) almost overheated on my way to take a tinkle test, while we were in a mile long back up due to an accident. I get to the lab, and they needed paperwork from Diebold(the company I interviewed with), that I was not given. So, I call, and the HR guy says he'll overnight it, I hope. Next we go to Lowes for a water filter. We get lucky and find some reduced paint for the kitchen(originally 20.00/gal, on clearance for 4.00/gal). We head home, and run into another back up, so we peel off of the main drags and ride the back roads of the county, home.

My brother calls my cousin, who tells him to come on out to his shop so we can figure out what's up with the cooling system. An hour later and a relay from an International Truck :lol:, the cooling fan is now working.

Now all I can hope for is the paperwork to get here tomorrow, so I can either go tomorrow, or Friday.

Wow Andy! Nice backpeddling, buddy. :lol: :P

Bite me Brian:lol:

My wife and I dated nine months before we got "there", we were each others first. Then dated for five and a half years before getting married. Now days I encourage people to live together before they marry.
Back in the day, they might have dated a year before getting maried, it's just a different mentality.
How many unwed mothers did you know even fifteen years ago vs. now? Hell, you find a woman under 23 without a kid, she's a keeper!!!

Hope it works out for you Gary. I removed a dead modesto ash tree and when I was just finishing grinding the stump I thought "crap, this tree was probably over 24" in dia. at 3' height I was supposed to get a removal permit from the city of Oakdale". I guess I could say that it wasn't quite 24" if they ask.

Back