Wood stove heat

Rob got one of those stove pipe ovens and he is cooking with it. Slight learning curve doing bread and such. But it not only uses some of the heat for practical cooking, but also throws more heat since you are adding heated surface area.

I thought about using the space between the tubing and the brick chimney for heating air, but here, that's forbiden.
I guess that the concern is the possible leak of combustion products, mainly CO, by a joint between 2 tubes or a dammaged crimp. If this occurs, it constantly poisons the heated air flowing in the house.

A "jacketed" stove pipe would be inefficient compared to one of the manufactured heat exchangers that would come with a ul listing. I don't like the idea of building this in stovepipe if that's what you were thinking, inspection and co leaking would be issues. Also you will have to watch your temps to make sure you aren't removing enough heat from the exhaust to cause the creosote to condense and start building up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have triple wall pipe between the stove and the ceiling that has vents at bottom and top in the outer wall. Works like your design, in principle.

Do they make a toaster too? A slotted oven you insert slices in?

Probably would heat too slow to toast.
They make many sizes. But you can bake small sheet pan or cake pan sizes in this one. About doubles the heat from pipe due to surface area.
Had one of our neighbors do the rock work. Traded some milling. IMG_0571.JPG

:lol: Some oak project planks. Rob is still working on something. Personally would have moved them to the other side of the room. They are pretty much dried. Been in the house for a couple years. Might be some loss if he does not move or use them.

How many of youse use a stove thermometer?

I use my stove pipe thermometer a lot. Primarily I watch it in the morning as I fire up for the day. Get the chimney good and hot but with in reason with out guessing.

Back