Affordable wood stoves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks
How big a stove do your need and where are you in the states?

Many are thrown away over here each year.I used to collect the really nice ornate vintage ones and give them to people who appreciated them.

If you live near a port,shipping one to you wouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the offer!!

We are needing a catalytic stove.

I'm pushing for moving the formerly- upstairs stove back upstairs, and getting a proper, used fireplace-insert for downstairs.

Her ex- made the unilateral and stupid decision to move the bigger stove to the garden apartment, where it gets minimal use by the renters who more easily use electric heat.

How many sq feet are you trying to heat Sean? I'm loving mine, but I'm going to add a bigger blower after doing some homework on the matter. When the temps drop to 20 or less the little stove isn't heating enough air to get the heat moved to the opposite end of the house. The existing blower is only a 150 cfm, and using a meat thermometer I'm blowing 170 degree air out, which gives a temp change of 90 degrees, which then calculates out to roughly 10000 btu/hour using the chart from engineering toolbox. Apparently when your temperature change is that high your efficiency drops, and i guess 120 degrees is the ideal heated air temperature so I'm thinking a bigger blower will allow me to get more heated air which will heat the rest of the house better. I'm thinking of adding a 1600 cfm air mover blowing into a duct piped to the stove, which will be able to really heat up the place with the same size fire. My temp change will be far less but I'm pretty confident that using the bigger blower will be what I'm needing.

Screenshot_20211207-190223_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm 1400 and love my little insert. Small so it doesn't use a bunch of wood, but the firebox is so small it needs some love at night. With the blower upgrade i think it will likely easily heat the whole place if i run it on high and full heat when it's super cold here (negative digits). I'll be the guinea pig for it :lol: I'm also running ash right now and will be running nothing but dense hardwoods, so i think that helps me tolerate a little stove easier tho. Stayed out for a bit after work today and got the rest of the ash all cut small enough to fit in the stove, rotated the piles (hillbilly/farmer stacking around here), and even started cutting up some of the locust. Partway thru, got too dark for the finished product.

Also, i think @Nutball was the one who mentioned cutting them small and then just busting them up by hand, i did that some today and it does work far better than i expected. I really love the no picking anything up until it's small aspect of it, and most stuff spilt almost effortlessly. I wonder how a wedge on a backhoe would do with 8 inch or so rounds? Just pushing down with the hoe would likely be enough for most stuff....

20211211_155417.jpg

Back