Affordable wood stoves

SeanKroll

Treehouser
My GFs stove needs bricks and baffles.
It's about $800 for parts for an obsolete Danish Rais stove, and not the right stove for the space, anyways, as its small and blower-less.

Any ideas?

I agree that I see affordable, solid and reliable brand stoves on Craig's List with regularity. I know that here in my part of Oregon, whenever a property changes hands, it is a state mandated requirement that any existing woodstove installation has to meet current state EPA emission levels, or it must be replaced prior to completion of sale.

Which results in a fair number of good woodstoves being offered on the second-hand market here. If I understand the laws correctly (a reasonable person might well question that premise :D), it could well be flirting with an infraction of law to buy and install one of the second-hand market stoves.

But they are out there, easy to find. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if it was of good quality and good condition.

For 'eff's sake...good friends of ours considered replacing their elderly Lopi stove, rather than do the door gasket repair it needed. They found, that with the crazy supply chain issues, it was probably going to be months before a new stove might be available, and the prices where roughly twice what they were a year ago.

They were quoted a price of $4500 for a stove that listed at $2800 just last year.

My friends elected to repair the door gasket...:D.

I looked on Craigslist for something good and something close for quite a while. Found a Avalon for $250. Got to be fast for sure. Somebody had beat me to it but thought a couple guys would pick it up, carry it, and lift on truck. I suppose a couple burly guys could. They could not. I had oak planks, a dolly, and a couple helpers.

My GFs stove needs bricks and baffles.
It's about $800 for parts for an obsolete Danish Rais stove, and not the right stove for the space, anyways, as its small and blower-less.

Any ideas?
What are some features you are looking for? It sounds like a blower and a bigger unit. :/::lol:Sorry I have the mind of a eight year old. I can look around here if you are willing to take a road trip.

Paid $400 for a woodstove (Oldtimer) hardly used - mint condition when we bought our house in 1991. It has kept us warm ever since then. As faithful and dependable as an old dog.
Our "main" heating source is baseboard electric, lol. Not.

It's just the time of year , both of mine were summer deals , though the dyi and contractor renovations continue here ... seems alot of people prefer pellet stoves when uping the digs nowadays

The custom insert for my oversized firebox came in between $5400 - $8200, depending on which company did it. That was 8 years ago. I'd be frightened to see what it would cost now.

You probably don’t want to know.
A customer of mine ordered a fancy schmancy wood burning cooks stove out of Quebec in July. Estimated delivery was early September now it’s end of January.

How big a stove do your need and where are you in the states?

Many are thrown away over here each year.I used to collect the really nice ornate vintage ones and give them to people who appreciated them.

If you live near a port,shipping one to you wouldnt be a problem.

Just checked FB market place there is a gorgeous Jotul ivory color stove for $ 500 in Janesville about 20 miles from me.

Image search says that's a nice looking stove. I wonder how the white holds up over time?

Back