I just burn fires differently now, and have rarely had it get too hot. Also, there's a couple cracks in the stove from age that leak air, but I tend to run the stove in a way that minimizes the possibility of overheating with how I load it, or let it cool before a big overnight load when I won't be around to check on it. My biggest concern is losing power, because this stove is designed to be used with the blower, and it could get very hot if the blower isn't running. I think the fire hazard is still a minimum, it's more about damage to the stove: warping or burning the steel. I put a battery backup on it during the really cold days (normally powers the water pump under the house) and it was needed one morning when they cut our power. Luckily I was there to see it happen, so I could turn the blower to low to get a longer run time on the battery, but I had a spare battery: just take out the old one, and clamp on the car jump starting pack.
I have a magnetic stove pipe thermometer sitting on top of the stove, and know what temps to watch for.
I replaced the door gasket not too long ago. I can't remember if I used the right size, but the one that looked right was way too thick to get the door shut. The next size smaller, which may be the right one or 1 size too small, still made the door almost not shut. Now, after just one season, it has either warped the frame to fit, and/or crushed the new gasket enough that it seems like a loose fit again.