What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 481K
Some lake effect snow here too, always heavier south of Buffalo, closer to Lake Erie. Little bit of a white knuckle drive in to work. Driving in snow I guess is similar to sea legs. Everyone picks it up after a little exposure, but the first day or so is a lot of overly cautious drivers. Lots and lots of brake lights, patience is a virtue lol. Traffic is usually light on my drive anyways. On night shift it’s crazy what a difference there is in congestion between leaving at 7am and leaving at 7:15am.

I never understood how you could forget how to drive on slick roads in just a few months time. Lots of people do forget and drive like 90 year old grandmothers. Not that the other extreme is good either. Some idiot passed my Dad and lost control doing some damage to both cars.

There were two (2) cold snaps in California that dipped below 20 degrees. One in 1973 and the other in 1987 or 88.

Both cold snaps broke water pipes statewide. You could not buy pipe fittings (1/2-- 3/4) anywhere.

weather's gonna be all over the place...

i0hofol.png

The rain is disappointing. Not only does it makes things a disaster, it's gonna ruin the snow. Looks like I'll be breaking out my USN blueberries next week. I don't care much for them, but the weight is heavier than the ACUs, and they have a zip fly which is convenient when your fingers are cold. I guess they couldn't teach Navy guys to use buttons :^P

We got a summer-like weather a few days ago, like record heat by the air pushed up from north africa. I was grinding some spruce stumps at my parent's home and I was soaked by sweating, helmet dripping.... Then, it dropped from 24°C to -4°C in 3 days !
A lot of wind and rain in between. The frost lasted only one half day but the following wind and rain again chilled hard the area.
Yesterday, I replaced a tile and decided to clean the 43' gutter full of leaves and water. Until half way, it was just cold, but then, it became quickly unbearable for the fingers. I wanted to take it manly and finish the task, winding the arms to push the blood to the fingers. But that got me severely. I tried to relieve my hands in the sink of the kitchen, but it was worse. I was really bad and had to lay down on the couch, the stomash locked and all sweating. My mother, a nurse (a long time ago), said that I was in shock. Dumb idea to do it bare hands.
The people taking a bath in the frozen water must be some sort of allien.

The finger warmup can be rugged. Searing pain, and you almost feel stoned when it subsides.

32° and windy. It really wasn't bad doing what I was doing. I started sweating a couple times. Would have sucked working in an open field. Gusts were >30mph.

Teens and low 20’s today. Just a light dusting of snow. The sun would come out long enough to give some hope of warmth and then hide for a few hours. Good news is the mud is gone

Snow fizzled out. It's just drab and gloomy. That's fine. I'm all about drab and gloomy, but I'd like to see a good snow this year. Snowdrops are getting taller, and still no snow. Disappointing. Snowdrops are best when they're poking out of snow. It's kind of a surprise flower. You don't expect it it, but there they are,

Back