What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 468K
Looks like winter's finally here, or at least the winter we get anymore...

XJFFsPi.png

It was 47° in the house when I wokeup this morning, and when I got home from work. That means my furnace probably came on. A little disappointed. I'd have liked to have had a 100% furnace-free year, but that would also mean a winterless year, and that's worse than using the furnace.

Snow mostly melted in rain yesterday. Then it started snowing again last night and woke up to 5" this morning with it still snowing. Silly schools, afraid to lose another day to snow, sent the buses out. One promptly went over the edge of a road near me and got stuck with kids on board. Worried parents.
As a parent, seeing the road conditions, would have kept junior home personally.
So the sun is out now again after rain. Got out and checked a urgent job we were hoping the rest of the tree did not break and hit the house. Still standing. We'll remove compromised leader and move on to the next removal.

Snow! The bad ol squirrel's into the suet cake I put out for the birds, cause obviously the half dozen producing nut trees on my property alone didn't supply him with enough food :^S

IMG_20210131_124207.jpg

They are gluttons. I have a lot here that are begging to go in a crockpot. Trying to get a scope mounted on my antique .22s. Old Weavers finally gave out. One was 3/4" and one was 7/8. 1" doesn't fit to well. Then I have an old Savage that has a grooved receiver. Wrong size grooves. Think I can make something work on that.

This is how bright it is at 10:35pm with 100% cloud cover, thanks to the nearby car dealer...

IMG_20210131_223526.jpg

Nothing would make me happier than seeing them out of business...

Well summer seems to come every Monday fortnight here this year...and the elm tree in the village that is always the first to colour up...yep, a few yellowing branches and one gone oranhe already! Whaaa....not ready for winter yet

'Bout time you gave summer back to us on the Northern Hemisphere.
We are still having snow and freezing temps.
I walked the quarter mile up to the mailbox to get the newspaper an hour ago.
Just as I made it to the mail box, the dog slipped on the compacted snow of the driveway and went ass over teakettle.
That was when I realized that gimping around on crutches in the snow was STUPID.
I was really careful on the way back.

Last edited:
It always amazes me how fast the days get longer. I love to watch the sun go down later every day. Winter is pretty but usually a pia as well.

We are getting a stretch of real winter after a pretty mild prelude. Some single digit lows and highs not that warm either. Nice to have no mud for a while.

I have to go out and see what it'll take to deal with the snow. Doubt I'll go to work today. Need to dig up a piece of wax for my shovel. I use a rusty coal shovel, and if you don't wax it, the snow sticks bad. I don't like shoveling cause of my back, but I think I'll need to get rid of a bit of it, and I try to keep the mailbox clear, cause the mailworker's job's enough of a PITA.

edit:
Just shoveled snow. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I dug out the mailbox, cleaned the front of the truck, and the entrance step. I think I'm done :^)

Last edited:
Normal winter here, cold, but not real cold. Real cold is coming next week, single digit highs negative double digit lows.

Whoa, a bit of sun today, what a change.
Water everywhere in the woods and in the fields. The river is out.
All the gear is wet and rusty. It doesn't matter to try to dry the ropes, the next day they are soaked again. Yesterday I trimmed a willow leaning over a lake. Of course my both ropes went in the water, but that didn't made such a difference. Shitty weather.
I have a hard time to adjust the Akimbo. With the wind, the working part of the rope begins to dry and shrinks, while the standing part below stays wet and thick, like it slips or jams a few meters apart.

Had rain earlier and now it’s changed over to snow. Expecting a couple inches. Sent this short clip to our granddaughter in Thailand. Purposely inverted to catch her attention. Her reply was ‘Grandpa, most things do not ignore the effects of gravity’
View attachment trim.D29737C2-1AAC-42DD-AE0F-A692153991EA.MOV

Last edited:
Snowing. I'm actually mildly annoyed. I had to work yesterday, so I couldn't go to town for some groceries. I don't go during normal hours cause of all the people, and I don't want to go in the snow cause people drive like idiots. There's nothing I absolutely need, but there's a few things I wanted. Oh, well. I guess I'll just stay home and enjoy the snow. Not up for any barefoot hikes or anything though :^D

Clear and cold here...high pressure pattern still here forcasted through the weekend. Got down to 5 degrees F last night which is very cold for us.

Back