What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 478K
Freezing week.
It will be -8°C today, -15 with the wind.
The cables of my van's parking brake are stuck by the frost. Tuesday, I forgot to not set it at the customer's house. It finally let go, but I surely lost some ruber and clutch to drive back home.
A wave of snow crossed the country. We got about 1" here, that's not much but ennoying enought, 4 to 6" on other places.

This winter's been shaping up fairly well. Crappy warm start, but we've had three sled worthy snows so far. That's like the good old days when I was a kid. Warmer than it used to be, but I'm digging the snow.

The good thing with this week of frost is that it has dried my driveway. But it's a pain, we aren't used to the cold any more.
I hate to have cold fingers with a sweating body.
Yesterday was the coldest of the week. But as there was no wind, I took off my jacked and climbed with just the pollar shirt to avoid freezing with the sweat when slowing down. Once in the tree (pollarding a weeping willow, so not much moves to warm up), of course the wind kicked in !
:big-freeze:

I'm waiting with gleeful anticipation for some snow ❄! I have picked up 2 bad habits since living in Seattle, paying attention to politics and weather forecasts, neither really helps and there is nothing that you can do to change either. Just go boyscout always ready always prepared.

I outgrew my tin pants in the x axis :^D I have some chaps too. Those are nice cause you can wear them when it isn't super cold, but the ground's pretty wet. Lets you kneel in snow/mud, and you don't get as wet.

It's awesome because all my stuff is getting good use by my boys that are getting bigger than me. They are still skinnier in what you describe as the x axis.

I'm sitting bare foot on the couch and can feel the terrible r value of our sliding glass doors. 😖

Last edited:
Yeaaahhh, I'm not seeing the youth of today gravitating toward Filson anytime soon. In fact, I sorta left them behind because of price gouging and there is so much more comfortable and useful alternatives now a days. Used tin pants for many years but no more!

Filson does have the market on price gouging for sure. But they do make some nice heavy duty clothing. I just treated myself to some shirts that were on sale. Even tincloth is useless here in winter unless oversized and layered underneath. Carhart has the market.
-11F right now windchill is or so they say is -35F.

Yeaaahhh, I'm not seeing the youth of today gravitating toward Filson anytime soon. In fact, I sorta left them behind because of price gouging and there is so much more comfortable and useful alternatives now a days. Used tin pants for many years but no more!
I took a pair of Carhart zip to the hip unlined bibs and sprayed them down with a product called Nevrwet by Rust-Oleum and made my own tincloth. works great. I use the bibs in fall and spring mostly in the cool and mud.

Forecast now says the snow could be as much as 20 inches now. Should start tonight.

Darn weather forecasters...:).

We got 2 inches of nice light snow, then an inch of freezing rain that froze to a hard sheet, then another 2 inches of snow over the last three days. Trees and bushes heavily laden with ice. Below our elevation more snow, like 6 inches. Above lots more, like 18 to 24 inches. We were in the temp. inversion belt, apparently.

Power went out Friday evening, and was restored here about 2 hours ago.

The new generator worked a treat. If you are interested, look to the generator thread...I'll post an update soon.

Cold and humid here in the armpit of America. Currently 27, but the humidity and slight breeze make it feel like 10F. Forecast is for right around 32 for the next few days with freezing rain/snow on and off until next weekend. Fireplace, firepit and beverages will be enjoyed for the forseeable future.

I've been irritated with filson for a long time. I know now it started with the sale of the company. They're now a shop that sells stuff to people with more money than sense. Their stuff was always expensive, but the prices could be justified if you squinted a little. The real workwear has been diminishing, and they now sell a lot of dumb imported shit. They don't even have the oil finish cruiser vest anymore, which I'd love to get. With the old ownership, you could commission anything they ever sold, even if it wasn't currently made. On the bright side, they now sell this US made work vest...

I bet that's what all the roughnecks wear on the rigs. $1,100 leather work vests. Yup...

Here I thought paying $250 for a pair of saw pants was bad.

Guess I'm simply not stylish.

As for the weather, we've had more winter these last 3 weeks than the last 5 years together.
I honestly thought that with things getting warmer and warmer ( Global warming) this would be a thing of the past.
Now they are saying that with the Polar Vortex spinning out of control, because of Global warming,
We may actually be in for colder weather.

So my Redwood and the Apricot tree, that we just moved out of the greenhouse, because, no matter how much I bonzaied it, it outgrew the alloted space,
May well die from this cold.

At the end of the week we are having some warm air come in from the Atlantic.
The boys are logging oak and it'll be a race against thaw for the forwarder to get it out, before the snow melts and makes forwarding look like the battle of the Somme, without artillerey.

Last edited:
I bet Filson came under new owners in 2016. That's when they upgraded their outlet store that was way up I-5 half way to Canada. That's where I used to buy my gear because it was pennies on the dollar and closer to whidbey Island. Now their outlet is in a suburban strip mall full of Canadians much nearer Seattle 😔

Carhartt has taken a big change in cut and quality too. Their canvas is crap but their hiviz and water proof gear is awesome. Xtratuf has been made in China for a while but now has resumed making a decent product. I switched to Tingley boots as they were usa made for a while longer. It's hard and getting harder to buy American 😪. Key jeans are the best denim going but made in Mexico.

Below the red is when they started changing...

Screenshot_2021-02-15_12-51-57.jpg

They started releasing lightweight materials, and a women's line. Getting more like Eddie Bauer. A bit later they started selling a lot of imports, and some of it was of questionable quality. Fast forward to today, and they have Popeye® Tshirts and pint glasses, cause why not make it like the Disney store!? Or something I guess.

Their tin cloth is still good quality, and I love my tin vest I got last year I think, but it isn't a cruiser which is what I could really use. I don't like that they command their filson prices for the imported stuff you can get anywhere else, for much less money. "Imported" never means UK, Norway, Germany, Canada... Those get specified by name. "Imported" is Bangladesh, Vietnam, China, Pakistan... made by people working for slave wages, so what is it exactly I'm paying filson for? Not that I am of course. I wouldn't buy their imported stuff, but still...

I don't have an opinion of Carhartt other than annoyance that a lot of it isn't US made anymore. I've been fairly lucky scoring old stuff from the thrift shop, so it's all US made. It doesn't really get cold anymore though, so it mostly hangs in the closet just in case.

Roundhouse is still us made, that's what i wear anymore. Carhartt flat out isn't worth the money anymore, roundhouse is cheaper and it's made here. They are slightly thinner in their duck, but they wear just as well as Carhartt.

Still snow here.
It sure makes for a clean dog.

The water line to the stable is frozen, so the mail order bride has to carry buckets down to the horses.
One time when having a broken ankle is actually a bonus.

P1080021.JPG P1080019.JPG P1080022.JPG

Back