What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 482K
A bunch of years ago during a fairly heavy snow, there was an Explorer in the middle of the road on it's roof. No other cars, no skid marks I could see, nothing looked hit... It's like it just flipped over. I'd love to know how they managed that :^D

getting one week of winter this year. forcast below freezing all week, and then we are into febuary and the forecast is again above freezing. this is pathetic.
i planted a coast redwood 6 years ago and its thriving. Which means we haven't really had a winter to speak of in 6 years.

Yea. the snow were getting tonight doesn't look like it'll amount to anything, and rain tomorrow. Crappy winter...

We are suppose to get 7" tonight and the news is acting like it's the end of the world. WTF this is Wisco has the pussification of American come home? Jesus I remember 12"+ snow storms with minus 0 temps being the norm for months. 20"+ snow falls being like better get groceries for a day or two. Sigh......

About 5-6 inches here on my porch rails. started to melt so I cleared the driveways by just running the 4wd on them. little sun came out and finished it. Melts quick on the slate. Supposed to get more tonight and then mostly shitty weather for 10 days. So I'll get one scheduled job probably done tomorrow and then it will be peek out inbetween here and there and do some clean up. Took a drive to get kids from sleep overs. More trees down from snow. Glad I stayed home today. R2 chain rules I would have had to chain up the trailer and shit then maybe cut into the work. Lady said, don't bother, come when it clears out next week. If it clears out next week :lol:

Supposed to get 6" or so of snow tonight, so installed new shear-pins in the snow-thrower auger. Hoping we get enough to use it...just for the variety & to actually run the thing a bit...haven't had Winter yet...Getting tired of just warming up the engine once a month...

If I go skiing, I have only chained up 2 X. Once was my 2wd diesel flat bed. the other was our AWD van that turned out, did not need them. There is a real icy spot at the tunnel going into Yosemite. Generally, 4wd with snow tires will about suffice in these parts. But hey. Add touristas to the mix and some rain or snow, things get weird. Government of CA will save me whether I need to be or not. Until I need a tow. Then I am on my own with AAA or something.

Yeah i learned to drive with nothing but 2 wheel drive trucks, so snow was always fun. Thankfully it's pretty flat here. I used to shovel a bunch of snow in the bed for traction, since it was free and unloads itself in better weather :lol:

I wouldn't own another 2x4. My first and last was an F100 I had for awhile in the 90s. Took me forever to dig that stupid thing out after a big storm, while my girlfriend's Taurus drove right out after a little bit of digging. They get stuck in wet grass, and want to go in every direction but straight in snowy weather.

Yeah i was pretty blown away once i finally got a 4x4, and since i learned to drive without it i was golden. I still hardly use it on roads tho, it's gotta be really crappy where the wind up has reduced friction to allow it to slip so it won't tear it up. I'm still cheap at heart lol

I only use 4x4 on the roads if they're 100% covered, which doesn't happen much anymore. I also use it for speed control. Had a icy steep hill once with cars sliding down, and not able to get back up. Stick it in 4wheel low, and let it crawl down. The other side of the hill in the direction I was going wasn't as bad as the side I was coming from.

Yeah i learned to drive with nothing but 2 wheel drive trucks, so snow was always fun. Thankfully it's pretty flat here. I used to shovel a bunch of snow in the bed for traction, since it was free and unloads itself in better weather :lol:
Yeah. I learned most all my snow driving in 2wd front and rear drive early in life. Love 4x4.
Yeah 2wd on an 8% grade iced with curves is bad juju for most. Easier to just chain up in those conditions.
We have a convenient pull out right before things get too slick before my turn off on the highway. Nicely graded and more gradual near flat. After that they get stuck in a line right before the check point because they cant make the check point :lol:
Town is just under 2000 foot elevation and my place is at 3200 in less than 8 miles.
Tourists can be good amusement.

I'll check what grade my driveway is next time i leave, it's about as dramatic as it gets around here lol. Glacers over a mile thick have made Illinois (especially central Illinois where I'm at) the 2nd flatest state.... next to fl ironically. What you guys call hills there would likely make me simply park and think about life choices :lol: There are only a few hills in town here, and most are by the river. There are some that are steep enough that they close them in bad weather tho. We're only at 509 feet here too, not 510, but 509 :lol:

Back