Tree felling vids

That limb was tip tied and rigged right over his head. A bad omen the second I saw it. If only he would've swung the limb to either side, instead of straight down, that line would've missed him. Apparently he was more worried about the butt of the limb hitting him.

Damn lucky it could have been worse. Sure a vocal fellow. As a climber he could gain more confidence.

I'll have to watch it again. I couldn't make out the exact setup. Generally though, I wouldn't do anything risky to my health that requires more than one person(me) operating perfectly. Doing something different would probably have been better.

Or pull it with a tag line so you control where it goes. You could tell from the setup that only had 2 options, luck or what happened.

That would work as well ... but now the ground would have two tasks. Let it run some once cut plus pull the directional as it leaves the cut ... multi-task. Not sure about them ... they might have been having a bad day.

I guess from now on we all have to bring in a skid steer and set a 4" thick hinge for dumping something that is basically a high stump.

I think I'll pass on that and stick with my gutted hinge cut down to 2 stamp sized pieces in the corners.
I put a photo of a gutted hinge on the cover of tree care industry magazine in 2004. The editor got some questions about it as at the time it was not well understood.
And I have been using the above technique for well over a decade to preserve log value, which I do only very occasionally.
There is a time and place for tiny little hinges and a time and place for fat boy hinges.

I’m with Fi regarding the potty mouth guy. Fake. Drama queen. People with broken bones don’t act like that.

Fake??? c'mon Bother Jed... that was all real... he freaked out... maybe he didn't actually break any bones, but at the time he thought he did... didn't someone say he went back up to finish the tree later that day. If the chain brake didn't catch he would have been dealing with a screaming saw while pinned by the rope. Systemic issues need to be addressed. We've all gotten lucky a time or two along the way. But this guy should have known better.

Reactions: Jed
No Murph, I completely agree… The guy did most certainly freak out. That’s my point. As Fiona pointed out... no man who has broken bones can complete all of the physical activities that we plainly saw him complete in the vid and then later go up and finish the tree. That’s why I called him a drama queen. It is as if he is trying to cover up his effeminate, emotional behavior with a superfluity of bad words, but it doesn’t work. I could point him to many a Seattle tattoo parlor chick who can cuss like a sailor with no remorse. And that guy, in my opinion, behaved like a girl. I’d way sooner count on Fiona to play the man than our potty mouth friend. I mean... who HASN’T (Who has more than 10 years of experience) been an idiot and run a big load over himself, and maybe burned some skin off, and maybe goofed himself up a bit? Why’d he come down? Just to chew his boys out and play the alpha dog and storm and scream some more? Drama queen.

Altissimus: no sir, I would never contradict your opinion as a first responder. For all I know, (and because you have indicated it) there could well be a certain percentage of humanity that could break bones and still carry on thus. My only quarrel is with their decision to allow themselves to behave in that way.

My own experience with breaking bones is quite the opposite. For me, The unmistakable bone on bone grating and grinding sensation produces an almost subdued and rather objective passivity. (I think the medical professionals called this, “shock.”) It is as if one has said, “Oh man, I’m HOOPED! If I don’t calm down RIGHT NOW, and very efficiently do exactly the right thing, I could potentially die.” Storming and raging and causing a fuss has never been my experience nor the experience of my limited aquaintances whom I have known to have been in a similar fix.

Last edited:
All I was thinking was that he did a lot of using that hand and wrist if it was really broken!
I reckon adrenaline would have kicked in knowing he had to get himself down, might have been enough? He was hurt for sure though, how bad, who really knows.
Not his groundie fault, he assessed it, he made the cut, he knew it was sketchy.

Well , blame ... you know how that is post incident , seems irrelevant (but you are right , he indeed set up a dangerous situation so it is on him). Seems the wrist clearly presented with deformity and swelling in the video.

Waaaa that post, #7896, wouldn't play for me, sounds like I missed a provocative vid

Back