The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

Nice buck TW.

Also nice Yote, I really got hooked on them in the past deer hunting too and go all to bust their :booty: any chance I get. Started using 2 different mouth calls to bring them in for that final moment. :D

Some past yotes over the years.

c1a3a6e9.jpg

CopyofCoyote2001.jpg

CopyofCoyote001.jpg

Copyofcoyote07013.jpg

Copyofcoyote07015.jpg

CopyofDSCF0012.jpg

TW ... that is a nice bodied buck there ... your daughter looks like a happy camper. My 15 yr. daughter shot 3 deer here this year. The look on her face was priceless when she nailed one of her 2 supplemental WT does at 375 yrd. I'd not encouraged that type of shooting normally but that kid shoots 'em right through the boiler room everytime so ... dad just shuts up and watches. She lowered her gun and said "that one isn't going far". :\:

Don't they play a role in predation to keep the deep population in check?

That's MY role, Butch, and I don't want them infringing on my duties! :lol:

Actually, coyotes will kill fawns and/or wounded deer, but their main diet doesn't consist of deer. They are more into mice, rats, birds and other small game, with rabbit probably being their favorite delicacy.

Coyotes are like having a neighbor's bad tempered dogs running loose all the time. Except there are more of them and they cause more problems.

Oh yeah....TURKEY.....another of their favorites. Turkeys had made a big advance here years ago, then something happened. I haven't seen them in several years now here on our place. Between coons, foxes and coyotes, they are having a hard time around here.

That's MY role, Butch, and I don't want them infringing on my duties! :lol:

Actually, coyotes will kill fawns and/or wounded deer, but their main diet doesn't consist of deer. They are more into mice, rats, birds and other small game, with rabbit probably being their favorite delicacy.

Around my place there used to be red fox, pheasant, lots of rabbits. The first yote I seen from a treestand at about 30 yds, I thought was a nasty looking dog, totally caught me off guard. This happened in the mid-90's I think.

Well now there is no red fox for years, no pheasant to hunt and a rabbits every now and then.
I have had them attack one of my labs in the field. Have had 2 males come right at me to within 100yds when I put the light on them to see what all the barking was about outside. The big male was aggressive and the younger male hung back. I ended up getting those 2 later on on separate shots.
I have had them come into my deer calling when using bleat cans from a stand while deer hunting. Have taken 2-3 like that. Figured they ruined my hunt, so I would ruin their day. :D

Tanned yote hide is laying across my gun cabinet and I would still like a full mount someday.

I read where some parts of Los Angeles have a problem with coyotes coming into the city to look for food in trash cans. Probably take care of a few cats while they are at it.

Coyotes are some of, if not THE most adaptable animals in North America. I read an article several years ago about their urban adaptation. Some of the accounts were amazing. The most amazing was the mention of a female raising a litter of pups in a culvert in town......she was blind......I'll see if I can find the article.

Racoons do pretty well, too.
They released a couple in Germany in -36 and now we have them all over the continent.

I saw a coyote a few months back, tearing across a 4 lane hwy from a shopping center to the airport. No idea what it was doing there

Raccoons have become a pest. Years ago hunters uses dogs to hunt them and kept them under control. Now that fur prices have been so low hardly anyone hunts them. Thanks PETA. They get and spread rabies now. The state was dropping vaccine bait from planes but I didn't see them go over this fall. Squirrels are quite overpopulated here now too. No disease problem yet but they are becoming a nuisance. When I was a kid we didn't have any squirrels. They were a curiosity to me when I went to the city.

Bob, our BP season is in December, did they change it? or is yours a different time?

I hunt the "Controlled (black powder only) Hunt" that runs every other week from the first full week in November through to December for four weeks of hunting. My group usually goes the second week of the Controlled Hunt and is around the 3rd week on November.

My area has a growing fox population, one trotted by the front of my shop in mid day last week. There used to be stray cats in the area, but not a one now, and I no longer see any pheasants. My cat was almost caught by a fox one late afternoon, having made it to his private entrance in what appeared to be just the nick of time, and with a look of ultimate terror on his face. He didn't stop running until he was half way through the building. I thought what the.... and looking out through his door, I saw some long legs, that's all.

My dad found this in my Bro's front yard one year between some trees out in the open. He snapped some pics and left. Mom came back and got it later, because it wasn't there couple hours later they said.

Copyofnewborn.jpg

Mee too! We raise goats and my daughter (9) is convinced a fawn would fit right in.
She has made me promise the last few years, that if I catch one while deer hunting I would bring it home.

Haven't seemed to catch one yet.;)