The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

Not and adult, but fawns are manageable. We had a lost fawn in our back yard this summer. I heard blahting and couldn't place the noise. Momma must have told it to sit tight while she went foraging and it ventured out on its own. It was toward evening and in the morning it was gone. I assume Mom found it. They are pretty small and helpless.

An adult roe deer weighs only about 50-60 pds, so it is no problem for a fox to take the fawns.

Dumb answer; I should have said, "You should see the size of foxes around here" instead:D

About 385 yards from my front door....one shot, one kill. Browning .270 Winchester, 140 grain Hornady BTSP. Gonna can some of it and make jerky from the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 9
Cool 8):thumbup: 385 yds off hand, shooting stix or a rest?

Well........rest.......very solid rest.......off my shooting table on my front porch. He was standing just in front of and left of my 400 yard targets. He's still gonna make some good jerky, even if it was a gimme shot. :D

Ever tried it Willie? Some friends of ours have tried it and say it's great. You just cut the meat up into chunks, pack it in jars, add salt and process in your canner. They say it's great in recipes, or right out of the jars. We'll see I guess. Got 14 quarts pressuring on the stove now. Fixing to grind the rest for jerky.

Gotta do sumpfin with it, my freezer's full. I had already killed two does, and my fifteen-year-old daughter killed an 8-point two weeks ago.

I've tried others canned deer and it was good. Never done it myself.

Well it's smellin' good.....the stewed-meat smell and the dehydrator full of jerky.....gonna be tough sleeping tonight with the house smelling this good.

Not sure, probably haven't, doesn't sound appealing but I guess I should hold off on judgement. Let me know when you try it!

y'all never had Spam before? :D
Spam.jpg

'Twil be a bit better than Spam I trust. :lol: Basically looks like stewed beef and gravy in a jar. I've been told it's great in soup, stew, over taters, basically anything you'd do with beef stew meat. You cut the meat into cubes and pack the jars with it, adding only a teaspoon of salt per jar....no water. After pressuring, the jars are almost full of juice that cooked out of the meat. They say it makes great gravy, or you can drain it off if you don't want it.

Got my buck back today!
Grossed out the wife. She fixed up some buck spaghetti, I asked her if I should bring the skull in to watch us eat :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 1
Would it make a difference if the TH put in some funds towards some deer carcass? I would happily throw some $$ in towards a side of meat for a huge GTG din dins.

Back