The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

I know of a few stands around here that have many 15". Heres one I pruned after telling the lady we shouldn't remove "that scrubby little fir down there"!

Attachments

• misc trees 037.jpg
    misc trees 037.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
There was a period of time in 90's when we had to stop issuing any harvest permits for yew...back when some thought it was going to be the source of the next miracle drug for cancer treatment. That blew over after 4 or 5 years.

I recall that period. It was actually the bark that was being used for the cancer drug. I saw photos of huge piles of Yew logs that had been cut for that purpose...they were for sale, but I also heard terror stories of many more Yews that had been cut and had their their bark stripped and then left to rot in the woods. I can't recall if it was the government or some drug companies that were paying for the bark. At some point there became a stink about wasting the trees, and shortly after they were able to synthesize the chemical in the bark for the cancer treatment, without actually using it, so the cutting stopped.

I've seen a few considerably larger trees than you guys are talking about.

8 to ten inches is good for about 4 to 6 bow staves I do believe.

I peeled yew for a day so they could use the bark for that cancer research stuff. Terrible job. Apparently if you only stripped it down to a certain diameter the tree would live?

Like a country doctor I have accepted payment in many forms.
Last week it was a button buck and a three pointer.
The backstrap on the button was very tender.
Bonus was they did the butchering, too.

Besides straight grain, I bet an experienced bow maker could tell you which Yew trees are best. Younger trees seem to have more resiliency when it comes to bending Oak.

My son peeled the bark off some weed Ash trees all the way around and about a foot of length thinking it would kill them. Nope. Hacked down into the wood deep enough where it looked like they should die.

Really only hour off. Cam is not set back like we did on our time zone.

Might have to put a lid on that grain at night!

You got that right ;) when the bigguns stay nocturnal on us http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/nocturnal-nightmare.html and only throw caution in the wind when rutting. :D

The feeders only feed in daylight and is funny as heck to watch the little ones come running in like a dinner bell has got rung :lol::lol:.

Along with the field planted down in front of that hill just for deer and blocks set out to help promote antler growth.

On Tues before that pic Sat the bigger 10 and the 8 was there in shooting light at 8:30AM and my Bro slept in through 2 alarms. :lol::lol::lol:

This ole boy likes his grains too ;). He even decides to show up during shooting light to take a pic or two when nobodys around. Just like he knoooows :lol:.

I cropped a older pic before gun season to get better look at him.

Copy (2) of PICT0021.jpg

Gnarly non typical!

He would look nice beside this one in velvet. I never got to hunt this deer. But got in the 1000's of pics.

He had got hit in the road out front of my place in august and still standing in the front field in front of the house staggering around. I could walk within 20 yards or so before he would stumble around.

Had the State Patrol come take care of him for me so I could get a legal tag to mount it in velvet. Nicknamed him DT = drop tines

CopyofMOUNTofDT004.jpg

Copyofhunt002.jpg

That thing is cool as hell in velvet.... and what a crazy looking rack! Very cool indeed.

Gore warning, sorry didn't know how to PM pics so put them here

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    908.9 KB · Views: 3
What are we looking at there, Willie? You took the hide or skin off the head, whichever it is called? What is next in the process?