O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Does a double taper wedge lift better or something? What's the difference in use from a standard wedge?

Taper is MA.

We'll call Y the stroke, T the taper and X the resultant lift.

YT=X The end result is the same (X), you can drive a thin wedge (T) easily but it'll require more stroke (Y) for the same lift.

I'm not sure how double taper wedges help unless the idea is by the time you hit the second taper the COG is nearer the fulcrum and thus easier to lift with the sharper taper. The other idea was the thin taper allows for easy starting while the thick taper does the lifting. If that was the case then why is the thin section so long?

I'm not sure how double taper wedges help unless the idea is by the time you hit the second taper the COG is nearer the fulcrum and thus easier to lift with the sharper taper.

I think that is probably the best explanation... That and the more you straighten the tree to vertical, the easier to lift and push with the thicker part of the edge...

Y'all are correct, but missing one last point...the section with higher lift ratio allows you to get by with a shorter wedge, which can help on smaller stems, as you don't have as great a likelyhood of running into the hinge before the tree is commited.

Taper is MA.

We'll call Y the stroke, T the taper and X the resultant lift.

YT=X The end result is the same (X), you can drive a thin wedge (T) easily but it'll require more stroke (Y) for the same lift.

I'm not sure how double taper wedges help unless the idea is by the time you hit the second taper the COG is nearer the fulcrum and thus easier to lift with the sharper taper. The other idea was the thin taper allows for easy starting while the thick taper does the lifting. If that was the case then why is the thin section so long?

Not so much easy starting as easy lifting during the initial phase of tipping the tree forward. If that thin section was short, the tree wouldn't have moved much towards COB before you hit the lower MA section and have to drive harder...but that's pretty much exactly what you concluded :)>

What I meant was how flared out width wise those wedges are at the front seemed odd to me, not the double taper.

I wonder if those tapers have been somehow mathematically deduced as being appropriate, or someone just looks at them and thinks, "This is about right"?

I just found a sweet deal on a monitor to go with the computer Jason is building for me. In fact it was such a good deal I bought two. 8)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001317

24-001-317-05.jpg

Dual monitors, you can view two pages at once and move the mouse seamlessly from one to the other. All the agents at my insurance office have dual monitors and it's a sweet setup. For my excuse, I will find it easier to watch the stock market when I'm losing money. :|:

Two monitors friggin rocks. If I had more desk space I'd go to three. Since I don't, a 42" plasma would look pretty snazzy on the wall :/:

Back