O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Here's something a little different. I got this in the mail today. I ordered two units, and they came with a free usb cable...

My biggest reason was for my new internet phone. I want to limit charging to prolong battery life. This should be built into phones, and it can be done via rooting, but the provided tools are rudimentary and insufficient. Up til now, I've done it manually via alarms, but that's tedious and a PITA. Especially for a dedicated non-phone phone. This seems to be working well. It charged to 55% like I told it to, and it should drop down to 51% before it charges back up again.

I'm fine with dealing with my main phone manually since it's usually around me. I set the alarm to go off at 70% and I disconnect it. The other unit I'll put in my bedroom, and it'll power a phone for internet radio. I had my last phone for ~3.5 years, and I doubt anyone would've noticed the degraded battery. It was still in excellent shape since I carefully managed the charge. Y'all might want to give it some consideration.

The best mine can do stock is analyze charging patterns, stop at 80%, then do a speed run to top it up to 100% before you take it off charge. Think overnight charging. It can also stop charging after 3 days, and will limit charge to 80% til you take it off charge. Both options are lame.

I have a friend from Germany who's into tree climbing and Tree-O-Caching and he made an unboxing video of some of his new gear and it included two karaT carabiners by Teufelberger. They are the same size as the DMM Perfect'O, so now it has some competition! I really like how they look. I don't need them, but I'd love to buy a pair and try them out someday! Always been a DMM guy, though. These karaT just came out a month ago, apparently!

1721247065758.png

You have to download the clusterfvuck of a manual to find the specs for it(25kn, 10kn, 7kn), but they make sure they point out it's blue and green on the webpage specs list. Good thing they have their priorities straight! :^S

I'd like to have a compact oval or two, but I only use Rock Exotica for my climbing biners. It would be nice if they made something similar. The karaT looks nice though.

I don’t like ovals, you never know which end is supposed to open.
I love ovals. I never have issues with orientation. I guess it comes with experience with using them over time. I like them because they load everything evenly (especially pulleys with side plates) and don't have needless bulge when you're only connecting one rope or one piece of hardware to them (which is most of the time). I have maybe only a handful of triact HMS, a DMM Ceros, which is great for my rope wrench, and the rest are ovals (Petzl OK and mostly DMM Ultra O or Perfecto). I like how they feel in my hand, too.

Just heard from my friend in Germany that the action at the gate for the karaT isn't as good as with DMM or Petzl products. That's a "no go" for me.

It's a double edged sword. I like ovals cause they're symmetrical, and no corners to lock gear into. but they are harder to determine orientation.

I love ovals. I never have issues with orientation. I guess it comes with experience with using them over time. I like them because they load everything evenly (especially pulleys with side plates) and don't have needless bulge when you're only connecting one rope or one piece of hardware to them (which is most of the time). I have maybe only a handful of triact HMS, a DMM Ceros, which is great for my rope wrench, and the rest are ovals (Petzl OK and mostly DMM Ultra O or Perfecto). I like how they feel in my hand, too.

Just heard from my friend in Germany that the action at the gate for the karaT isn't as good as with DMM or Petzl products. That's a "no go" for me.
Thanks, I’ll try to work on that ‘experience’ thing

IF you can see it. Never had to deal with a biner blind?
Even if my gate binds up, which it never has, I can still easily distinguish between the levering end and the gated end by having a visual understanding of what my gates look like. I'm speaking from personal experience. I expect NOBODY ELSE to find gates as visually identifiable as they are for me. I just didn't appreciate the misinterpretation of my comment by Mick. I wasn't saying he lacked experience. I was saying that, since I have more experience with ovals, maybe that's why he struggles to identify which ends opens without the HSM style end to guide him.

Read the words, Knotty..."blind", not "bind".
Oh, sorry. I'll humble myself here and admit I'm not entirely sure what that refers so. But I have some ideas. I can imagine it probably means when you need to use tactile function to identify the open side of a gate versus visual function. In that case, I can fully advocate for HMS carabiners because they provide that. But even as a rec climber, it doesn't take much trial and error before you figure it out. I've had to fiddle with my gates without being able to see them, using ovals, and it's pretty intuitive. Not even just saying that. Maybe I'm just built for ovals.

Or maybe you're not really understanding the complicated machinations one must manage when you are working a tree, rather than playing at it.

This is not a slap at you, but it is a reminder that for all your experience, it still is theoretical rather than practical, as @Maximalist so clearly understands.

Or maybe you're not really understanding the complicated machinations one must manage when you are working a tree, rather than playing at it.

This is not a slap at you, but it is a reminder that for all your experience, it still is theoretical rather than practical, as @Maximalist so clearly understands.
I've never pretended to be a tree worker. Even my disclaimer clearly states that I'm not an expert. I'm very transparent about my abilities on here, and I have been from the start, and I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong.

As far as my YouTubing, I just see techniques that I've loved and used as a tree climber, rock climber, alpinist and share them with my community. I already know that this community thinks I'm a "less than." Which is fine. It is what it is. You don't see that silencing me. I'm just a rec climber. But I don't teach anything dangerous or risky. I pride myself on that.

As of today, I will no longer be posting any videos on here that aren't related to my friction hitches. I'm not teaching anyone anything on here and I get the unfortunate impression that some people think I'm trying to teach highly experienced people versus simply promoting my videos to the large amount of guests accounts that dominate this forum over user accounts. It's been a long run, but it's over. Only a minute fraction of my views come from this forum anyways. It's not worth the criticism from people who think they know me, but really don't.

Knotty, you simply cannot claim a great number of "practical" climbs in your Pheonix apartment complex trees while at the same time saying, "I've never pretended to be a tree worker."...it just does not fly here. Tree work is what defines practical in the minds of most of us.

Knotty, you simply cannot claim a great number of "practical" climbs in your Pheonix apartment complex trees while at the same time saying, "I've never pretended to be a tree worker."...it just does not fly here. Tree work is what defines practical in the minds of most of us.
I understand. I have no issues with you, Burnham. Also not claiming anything nor pretending. I am who I am. I am, in your eyes, who you think I am. I love you all. The Tree House is my home. Just wanted to make that slightly related announcement.

Last edited:
I find myself using a munter hitch every now and then (using when drifting back to the trunk using the tail) so the hms ones are what most of mine are. I have a few ovals but most have the extra spring that keeps them in the correct orientation, so those aren't too bad.

Has anyone done a thread on “What’s carabiners do you use?” I would enjoy that!
Maybe there is already one in the history.

Back