O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

, I've employed a 20T bottle jack to good effect often enough to be a fan, even if it is ghetto :D.
how heavy of a back lean would you say you feel comfortable using a 20 ton jack on compared to wedges?
for the most part I pre tension a pull line, then follow the saw with wedges, slow pull keeping wedges in incase of a setback, and to help with the pull, just wondering if one may get more lift power from the jack, if so how much? I know for most trees I encounter when I smack a wedge with a 5 pound axe it feels like im hitting a brick wall

Lots of variables in play around your question. Height of tree and diameter are major ones. They are big factors in determining how much weight and how far you have to move that weight to get the tree over center of balance. But for sure you can get more lift with a 20T jack than with a few wedges alone. I can't give you a number, but it can be significant.

And a suggestion...when you hit that wedge and it feels like a brick wall, do you add more wedges on either side of it and alternate whacks from one to another to another? If not, do. Makes a huge difference in what you can move, over a single wedge. If you're using two, add two more :).

Last edited:
I usually add wedges, start with 1, then 2 once 1 is set, never really needed many, im very shy about pulling/wedging trees so I normally brush and chunk them out, rare for me to wedge over a hard leaner

I usually add wedges, start with 1, then 2 once 1 is set, never really needed many, im very shy about pulling/wedging trees so I normally brush and chunk them out, rare for me to wedge over a hard leaner
That's typical for most of us tree whores, except the ballsy loggers out on the West Coast dealing with 8'-10' diameter redwoods.

The log jack is good for people without good saw control.
That might be me...

<.<
>.>

I'm good for sticking the damned bar in the dirt. I've gotten better with normal bucking, but in really tight areas, my bar seems to find rocks that are out of sight behind the log. Usually really big stuff where a cant hook won't work. Oh, well. I'm not expecting much from this, but if nothing else, it's a decent short cant hook for not much money.

Buyer beware, these biners are tiny, too small for any use I'm aware of, too small to easily manipulate
Sorry to lead you astray, Cory. They are tiny! In my defense, I think they are the same size as the DMM XSRE. I find them useful for tending my Hitchiker onto my chest harness and for connecting my SAKA to its footloop. I agree they are so small as to be tricky for my small hands to manipulate. In cold weather with heavy gloves probably impossible! IMG_7493.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few XSRE screwlocks. Those are really sweet biners. The screw mechanism is silky smooth, and just stiff enough that it doesn't tend to unscrew itself.

I have a few XSRE screwlocks. Those are really sweet biners. The screw mechanism is silky smooth, and just stiff enough that it doesn't tend to unscrew itself.
same here, replaced the biner on my MB suspenders with a screwgate captive XSRE, also have one on a spare throw bag and replaced a knee ascender carabiner with one when I stepped weird and ripped the gate off the stock SAKA biner

they are expensive little buggers but they are oh so nice

In general roll in so the log is sitting on the bucket vs between the thumb and bucket. As the thumb drifts it is less likely to drop the log on you.
thats one thing this machine doesnt do yet is drift, hopefully I get atleast a thousand hours before that happens
I have to roll in on bigger stuff to take weight off the thumb tho, the thumb doesnt have a huge amount of crush force before hitting relief

im not grabbing the middle of 20ft logs in this pic, no amount of rolling in would save me if the thumb drifts, im pinching the end (with one side of the bucket, not both) on little 5 foot logs

From where?

I feel like my aftermarket tracks are not as durable as OEM on my Boxer.

I've had a cold start squeal since changing my alternator and belt on my Honda Odessey. It seems the aftermarket are substantially thinner, around 15% less.

IMO, often, it's hard to know when aftermarket is suitable enough.

There's little profit and lots of liability for break-away points on saddles.

Rigging ropes and bights of a long climbing rope/ lanyard tail can be carried more safely than on a stout saddle point. Pick your strength.

16974876328173605267042270008211.jpg

IMO, often, it's hard to know when aftermarket is suitable enough.

I feel like aftermarket or generic anything *anything* is always a crapshoot. Whether you're trying out out-of-name brand or aftermarket tracks or trying out a less expensive option for hair loss at the local drug store, the true quality of the products will always be questionable until you actually use them and make your own assessments. Sometimes you might find something for less and it will be equal to or even better than the name brand version of the same product. But you also might discover that said alternative is complete garbage.

Investing in anything that you are unfamiliar with (something that you haven't tried before) is always risky. Is it so risky that people shouldn't shop around? Absolutely not. However, it's all on a spectrum. There are products that you might potentially buy, without the ability to return them, that cost A LOT of money. But I don't think that should deter people from looking for cheaper options, because sometimes (perhaps even "eventually") you'll strike gold. The key is to take advantage of the internet and to avidly research anything you intend to buy. 8/10, there is a useful amount of information about each product, frequently with available ratings and reviews.

Sometimes you just want to take the advice of someone you trust, and that's perfectly fine. If you know your reference is genuinely qualified to make a sound recommendation, they by all means -- go for it! But keep in mind that everyone's idea of a good product is enormously variable. So don't let "that guy you see at the town dump" convince you without doing your own due diligence.

Sean, I'm not suggesting you didin't do your due diligence nor am I saying you failed to research anything or whatever else. You seem more than competant. I'm just sharing my thoughts about the topic you just brought up (buying aftermarket prducts) and exercising my right as an American to write too much.

Last edited:
Back