O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Picked this up cheap, 200. I will make a new mini attachment out of it soon. Hopefully I can convert this winch to rope and use it too.
NC snow plow = grave & chip spreader:lol:

I would toss his ass after them, a point I feel strongly about.

yup. me to. I would kick his arse if he did
that.

You know, Dent is one tough little SOB. I'd likely bet against either one of you :lol: .

Boys, I'm not advocating his style, far from it. I hope you can see that from my posts. But I do think I have some understanding of what makes him tick, and fwiw, he has the chops to back up the noise.

I fail to see how wooden wedges would kill the feller. Perhaps the tree sets back and kills someone behind him, but the feller is in the safest spot IMO.

No offense, Carl, no way that you could I suppose, but you appear to have absolutely zero understanding of the hazards of falling timber in natural stands. Horrific injuries and fatalities are far too common, and they almost always happen at or near the stump. It's because trees that don't go where intended hit other trees, kicking back or sending broken tops or branches back towards the stump.

I in no way mean to be condescending, but am advising you to have a little humility. Thinking you know better than Doug Dent where the hazards lie in timber felling is....oh, I don't know, just quite unbelievable.

I in no way mean to be condescending, but am advising you to have a little humility. Thinking you know better than Doug Dent where the hazards lie in timber felling is....oh, I don't know, just quite unbelievable.

He got mad at me when I told him that. :/:

Ive cut alot of trees down, but they have mostly been in the city. I would believe that my count to a logger would be a puny amount of trees. I don't usually disagree with people that have more experience . . . usually :evil: Now Carl will argue with me just to see the veins swell in my neck

John I have an old rope capstan you can have if you was lucky enough that the shafts match up -- looks about the right size for that superwinch -- I git you measures Mon if interested. nice score on the plow

Does it really matter if the teacher is rude or condesending or insulting? If you are there to learn, and the teacher is teaching (whatever the style they take), then what is the problem?

Ego?

ps: I had alot to say about lame stupid people, but I deleted it in the interests of being politicly correct and maintaining the interest level of the average person surfing the net.

Thinking you know better than Doug Dent where the hazards lie in timber felling is....oh, I don't know, just quite unbelievable.

I never said or meant to imply that, I said I fail to see what the hazards are, finding fault with myself, not him. Which makes you right about its unbelievablility.

The near the stump part was referring to thats the best place to see something going wrong (with the felling, refering to the wooden wedges), not meaning that its a good place to camp out while the tree is falling.

Widowmakers, tops/limbs breaking back are all things to run like hell from. Myhelment has saved my noggin once from a dead limb that fell, hit the helment and deflected off, and yes I was running.

In keeping with the OCGD thread, I got this in today 8)

IMG_8338.jpg

Does it really matter if the teacher is rude or condesending or insulting?

Only as much as my leaving the class matters. I haven't taken felling classes, but I have not taken other training (non arbor related) because the instructors were arrogant/cocky/dramatic ect.

Not using Bandit's valves, they wanted $120 for the solenoid alone, still gotta have the valve block! I declined and bought 2 poppet normally closed valves. Should have reversing auto feed, which should be sweet!

After this is sorted a lift/crush cylinder is in order, with a pulsating crush feature. 8)

My take on the Dent subject is that when you are teaching someone to undertake a task that potentially is life threating you need to impress that on the student and a rough arrogant manner can usually be found in most task masters dealing with that subject.

I was taught to by a professional respected forester in this country and he to was a hard man to like but he taught me well and that on it's own is the judge of the man.

The true measure of a man can taken by the wood he splits.

In other words, the proof is in the pudding.

Or, if you cant put up, shut up.

How about, If you cant walk the walk, dont talk the talk.

Ever seen the T.V. show American Idol? Those types seem to think they deserve respect, being spoken to nicely, and allowed to enter the comp. even tho they cant sing worth a damm.

I dont have alot of respect for the student who demands that they be given total respect when they have not proven they can even do the work, much less master it.

The world is full of self appointed experts, but few true masters.

LJ, why should a teacher beg to teach you and tiptoe around your 'feelings'? Seems like arrogence to me. You come to the class to learn something new, not establish how important you are, or how your feelings are so very important & sensitive to the exclusion of any learning.

????

oh, and so your 'feelings' dont get hurt, here is a smiley:

:)

ps: LJ, this post reads kinda harsh, I did not mean it to sound like that, I'm just bouncing around ideas...

That was f@*#!ng good Frans, I learned something from that tirade.

Carl he's cool. The first time I met him he razzed me and my brand new gear bag, somthing like suspiciously rookyish. I might be rusty (with a new bag) but I ain't scared.
Anyways you can learn alot from a grumpy old crumudgen like Frans, and he aint even old yet! :P

LJ, why should a teacher beg to teach you and tiptoe around your 'feelings'? Seems like arrogance to me. You come to the class to learn something new, not establish how important you are, or how your feelings are so very important & sensitive to the exclusion of any learning.

????

oh, and so your 'feelings' don't get hurt, here is a smiley:

:)

ps: LJ, this post reads kinda harsh, I did not mean it to sound like that, I'm just bouncing around ideas...

It's not their job to prance around due to my feelings, nor do I think its reasonable. I think it goes back to the old adage of "treat others as you would like to be treated."

In the training I have received for various trades/disciplines I don't go there thinking I know more than the teacher, else why would I be there? I do however expect to be treated like a person. I respect nearly everyone until they give me a reason to not like them, I expect the same from others. I don't mind you (you being figurative not any particular person) not liking me, that's not an issue for me.

In the training I have given over the years, I approach every student with respect, not screaming they are idiots and throwing temper tantrums. The way I see it is there is always something more to learn, another way of looking at the same problem. The "students" eyes haven't been tainted with what I think is right, thus listening to them I might learn something.

Another person I was working with treated me like an ignorant child, forgetting I was the reason he was there, he was gone on the next flight.

Respect is a two way street in all aspects of life.

Here is my smilie: :ahole:

:la: :P :lol:

On topic, Dave's grapple, my thoughts:

The dogs are helpful, so helpful that I am going to make some to run across the length of heeler, not just on the corners.

John P.'s "death spike" is a good idea, adding that to mine.

The bollard is handy as heck for tying a pull rope to the machine (extracting wood, pulling trees over, ect). Haven't used it as a friction bollard yet.

I am considering adding a row of dogs on the top of the grapple to allow it to bite smaller wood.

Its dang handy! Will add pics of it in use later today hopefully.

off topic-
respect is a 2 way street. I will not respect a man who is superb at felling huge trees, but acts like an :ahole:
and as far as I'm concerned, a mild teaching manner will get better results than treating folks without respect.

on topic - daves grapple is very good, perfectly suited to miniskid use.:)

Back