O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

After a year or so of begging and borrowing one I finally took the plunge and bought my own. I love nice new toys :D

Thanks Yorkshireman!

are those Jamison foam filled poles? I have found that those poles are stiffer and work better for those long shots over 100'

They are Jameson poles but they are not foam filled. As for 100' shooting, well that would clear most trees around here by about 20' :lol: I climb that high maybe once a year.

After a year or so of begging and borrowing one I finally took the plunge and bought my own. I love nice new toys :D

Thanks Yorkshireman!

That's sweet, Pete. Now you want to set up a nice trigger...with that and a bit of practice your accuracy will be amazing.

BigShot trigger

Burny, sounds like you have that nice triggering device - any pics?

Here ya go, Dave. This one uses a Winchard sailing halyard release, one that works when loaded and opens wide to freely release the captured halyard, or in this case, BigShot pocket.

It's set up to use 2:1 m.a. when cocking the BS, with a Distel hitch to capture the gain. You need to load the throwball into the pocket before tensioning the rubbers, as the pocket pulls almost closed under load, making inserting the bag to the proper depth difficult.

I initially fixed up this arrangement to allow me to easily pull the BS far enough to hit targets up well above 100 feet...with the 2:1 you can really put high tension on those rubber tubings. But it turns out that even for shorter shots, the ability to concentrate on aiming without any struggle to keep the BS drawn really brought my accuracy up to quite a high level.

Ole bud had that same setup, didn't remember that sailing gear, thats exactly the pics and info I wanted thanks Burham :thumbup:

Hey Burnham thanks for the picts! I'm making one for my bs for sure. Where do I find one of those nifty triggers? Does that thing enable you to use it up in a tree? I could see that being handy to shoot a trow line to a nearby tree to establish a quick anchor/tie-off point or maybe setting rigging lines in tricky places.:?

put a pulley on the end of the pole, makes for a good double advantage.I will post pictures of mine tomorrow...

The trigger has made a world of difference for me too. I picked up a $20 snap shackle at the local marine shop that works that works just fine for me.

That 2to1 idea is fantastic Burnham. I'm going to make me one of those! Thanks for the photos.

Hey Burnham thanks for the picts! I'm making one for my bs for sure. Where do I find one of those nifty triggers? Does that thing enable you to use it up in a tree? I could see that being handy to shoot a trow line to a nearby tree to establish a quick anchor/tie-off point or maybe setting rigging lines in tricky places.:?

I, like Butch, ordered mine from Sherrill, but the instructions that came with it were not well thought out, nor did they allow any m.a. I have heard of other people finding a suitable release from sailing equipment suppliers for less $$, just make sure that the component that captures the pouch will be able to open cleanly to release without snagging it. Sounds like Leon found something...Hey, Rumi, post a pic of yours, please!

I have never tried to use my BS in the tree, though I know it has been done. If that's in the cards for you, undoubtedly the trigger would make it far easier to accomplish.

Mine looks like this one. It doesn't swivel, and you pull away from you instead of down to release it, but it works just fine for me.

smoudrisseoeilfixe.jpg

Here's a link to some cheap ones. The larger bronze one should work and is only $16.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...324&subdeptNum=323&storeNum=2&productId=71892

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
been a little while for me but I went to the arbo store today.. then I picked up my latest barter item, an Arcteryx fleecy, WAY warm and ultra light and thin profile, loving it so far!
I have a consult / report tomorrow on a largeish forested site so I need to pack some spraypaint around with me, hence the 'need' for the little webbing loops with shiny clips :D

DAve, rake install went pretty easy. Put it to the test next week, do you "float" the arms on the mini or adjust it as your backing up. Or does it work best pushing.

Pulls better than it pushes (for raking). I lift the front of the mini off the ground with down pressure and get to rakin!

You know I usually push .. . but you can go both ways. oops -- its a bitch drillen that 1/2" hole in the center tube out I bet. Your old BMG didn't even get a serial # back then. .. you have to float it manualy. I have thought of adjustable wheels on the side but that just complicates it more. Carl broke his larger hanger (the moose) I don't know if it was a bad weld or need to make it out of thicker steel. Preciate it if you keep an eye on it, thanks for your Biz

Back