O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have seen some guys using them and figured it cant hurt to have it on my backside. its a 4 in 1 deal though. compress for major bleeding, wrap for splinting, burn cover and something else, basically if it hurts, apply this unit and seek medical help ;)
and yeah, we had a guy bleed out and die here last year, working alone, on a spar, lanyard only, cut his wrist, firemen got to lower him a couple hours after after the WCB guys did their investigation. more than one mistake he made but, a compress may have given him the time to find a way to get down.

The Fed-Ex guy showed up today and delivered a present from Bailey's.

Since I have been workin' more timber (on the ground) and doin' more fallin' and buckin' jobs... A few extra wedges and files were in order.

Plus I finally bought the Professional Timber Falling book by D. Douglas Dent. It was recommended to me by our good buddy Burnham, who i believe was trained by D. Doug Dent himself. Please correct me if I'm wrong Burnham.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
good deal G! I got the Dent book straight off, forget who told me to get it. Wedges and files too? cool beans. work safe Bro. :)

The Fed-Ex guy showed up today and delivered a present from Bailey's.

Since I have been workin' more timber (on the ground) and doin' more fallin' and buckin' jobs... A few extra wedges and files were in order.

Plus I finally bought the Professional Timber Falling book by D. Douglas Dent. It was recommended to me by our good buddy Burnham, who i believe was trained by D. Doug Dent himself. Please correct me if I'm wrong Burnham.

Gary

That be true, Gary. Doug Dent has been the contract instructor for C class faller/buckers on the Mt. Hood NF since the USFS chainsaw certification program started back in the mid/late 1980's. I'll have my bi-annual re-cert. course under him again this early summer, unless something changes that I haven't heard about.

Come to think of it Dave (wiley_p) was trained by D. Doug too.

What is the criteria for getting into a class like that to get the certification? Is it just a USFS thing?

Gary

Just caught up with things ...

So Hey all you Butterfly 2 Users.

What gives with this capacity limit?
What is the capacity of 220lbs referring to.?

small:O

Thats when you should have got a "medium"

Come to think of it Dave (wiley_p) was trained by D. Doug too.

What is the criteria for getting into a class like that to get the certification? Is it just a USFS thing?

Gary

It is a FS requirement that any employee or volunteer who uses a chainsaw in the course of their work must have training and be certified as competent at their level of certification. There are 3 levels: A is entry level, basically a trainee, must operate under the supervision of a B or C; B is limited to less than 24 inch wood and moderate complexity; C is unlimited in size and complexity. C's get advanced technique training and are certified by a contracted outside (non-FS) professional; Dent is the source the Hood has used for many years.

Then there is a further "area trainer" status for a few experienced C level cutters on most Forests who provide training and certification for A's and B's. That's the ticket I carry.

A's and B's re-cert. every year; C's do it every other year. As a rule, the training is not offered to those who aren't employees or in a formal volunteer agreement with the FS.

I have said it before, Dent is one of the most arrogant, profane men I have ever met. He will happily make you feel lower than a snake's belly if you make a mistake. But there is absolutely no man I would rather have beside me deciding how to deal with the nastiest, most dangerous falling jobs. He knows what he's doing, and at something over 60, he is trim, muscular; a little guy maybe 5'7" and 140 lbs.; he can throw a 066 with a 36 inch bar around like it is a saw half the size. Lucky for me, so far I have't made any major flubs in his presence...knock on wood, brothers...I'd hate to ruin my 20 year streak ;) .

Burnahm, I think it's pretty cool you know him. Even though he might be difficult at times.

Burnahm, I think it's pretty cool you know him. Even though he might be difficult at times.

I couldn't agree more, Ratty. I am very fortunate to have had these years of exposure to his lessons. He is largely responsible for me being the cutter I am today...no brag, just fact, I'm a fair hand at it. Doug Dent is one of the big reasons.

I have said it before, Dent is one of the most arrogant, profane men I have ever met. He will happily make you feel lower than a snake's belly if you make a mistake. But there is absolutely no man I would rather have beside me deciding how to deal with the nastiest, most dangerous falling jobs. He knows what he's doing, and at something over 60, he is trim, muscular; a little guy maybe 5'7" and 140 lbs.; he can throw a 066 with a 36 inch bar around like it is a saw half the size. Lucky for me, so far I have't made any major flubs in his presence...knock on wood, brothers...I'd hate to ruin my 20 year streak ;) .

I think thats kind of that attitude you've gotta have when teaching people to fall big timber. You can't afford to make mistakes with all the variables involved in falling. I wish the US would require some formal training like other countries to do tree work because a lot of people who think they know how to fall don't really know jack.

Dent knows his stuff but I don't agree with his arrogant approach. Even the best can be surprised. Maybe I am superstitious but every time I start thinking I am Mr. Cool Guy tree faller/climber, I shut that nonsense down immediately. Thinking you are cool will only come back and bite you on the ass.

Bergsteiger, I have to respectfully disagree with your thoughts a bit. First off
I think Burnham has showed himself to be one who is respectful & has a bit of intelligence on most matters. Burnham is a pretty even keeled smooth sailing fella based on his post I have read.

I am just saying I trust his judgement on things.

Any way there are many methods of getting ones point across with out belittling & demeening folks. To do this sort of thing to others, I think shows ones short comings.....Just my thoughts

I agree RR, I guess I meant that when teaching people something dangerous like this you might need to be a little hard on them and make it clear that you have to learn how to make your cuts precisely and have your whole plan of action thought out. Obviously, most people don't respond well to being demeaned.

All I know is that if Dent had pitched my wood wedges out into the brush I would have been pissed off.

I agree RR, I guess I meant that when teaching people something dangerous like this you might need to be a little hard on them and make it clear that you have to learn how to make your cuts precisely and have your whole plan of action thought out. Obviously, most people don't respond well to being demeaned.
..You get the jest of what I was trying to convey. I am glad. I was worried I pissed you off & that was not what I wanted:)

All I know is that if Dent had pitched my wood wedges out into the brush I would have been pissed off.
Me to. I would have threatened bodily harm or at the very least walked off. But now after hearing about him & his quirkiness, I know, I am much better prepared, so I can learn from him & that is just what I intend to do if I am ever so blessed to sit
under this fellas teaching:)

That is classic Dent style.

But it's worth noting that in so doing he is making a point that he feels strongly about; that wood wedges are not to be trusted when falling timber and the consequences of doing so include death.

Doug has more than a passing aquaintance with how easily trees can injure badly or kill a sawyer. Over the last 30 years he has probably been involved as an accident investigator and expert witness in more chainsaw incidents than any other man in the US.

He's hard on people at times, but his objective is to keep his students from becoming one of the statistics. He isn't abrasive just for the fun of it...to his students anyway. Bureaucrats, desk jockeys who make regulations without expertise, equipment manufacturers, lawyers are another matter...those folks get little quarter given.

If you do well, he tells you so, and uses a successful felling operation as a teaching opportunity just readily as he uses a botched one.

I started out those many years ago a bit intimidated by the man, both of his reputation and his personality. But the years have gone by, my own skills have grown and have met his standards, and I no longer dread falling under his extremely watchful eyes.

As he has become older, I think he has mellowed a fair amount, too. The praise is more forthcoming, and the negative stuff is more controlled.

But he is still the most arrogant and profane man I have ever met :).

The first time I read the book, I was 18.
Malika still quotes his book to remind me of felling protocols.

You know, Darin

Some things just have to be pressed into some people in order to learn.
With me, In the FS everything was pushups for the CrewBoss.

and if the wooden wedges evoke a potential for death, be gone with them, I say.

Did you ever see the video where he does that Deva? He does it in e very insulting way.

In the scheme of things, (just about) any time a tree is falling I'd rather be the feller than the spectator.

I fail to see how wooden wedges would kill the feller. Perhaps the tree sets back and kills someone behind him, but the feller is in the safest spot IMO.

I use plastic wedges, they have an annoying tendency to break, broke 2 yesterday on one back leaning pine, highly annoying.

Nope, was hoping some recommendations would sprout from that.
The only one I have busted was when it was below zero.& it had some yrs. on it. The other one I have heard good things about is the Hard Head sold at Baleys.

Be sure to watch ALL wedges for fractures. A fracture will show up running cross ways & be a different shade of color. I still use them at this point. But not on a big tree with a lean.

Back