O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Hell yea, headlamps are amazing for so many tasks. I get a few explosion proof ones every year through work, Pelican and Streamlight. They’re nice for working under a car and sharpening chains if it’s kinda dim in the area, though I definitely suggest mounting a nice light somewhere above the vise too.

I always have one in my truck...one handy in my trailer, too. I agree, Jonny....I have used them sharpening chains, too. When possible I try to orient the saw so I can use reflected sunlight to help me see the chain edge...but the headlight does a good job, too.

We must not forget that our dear friend Gary is the god of "after dark" tree work...known otherwise, perhaps, as a poor time manager :D.

Love a headlamp for cooking and cleanup after, when camping.

Use one often when doing electrical or plumbing work in dim corners.

Exploring caves, caverns, and otherwise dark places...they are a really good thing.

Last edited:
My next step is to try one of the dedicated ones that go with an 18v setup, i got a work light that uses my ridgid batteries that has more in common with it with a light plant than a flashlight. When i was living off the tailgate every night with diiner and drinks while out pipelining, one battery for the light and one for the radio and we were set for all night lol. Here's the one i have... I've also used it to light up tie in holes at night, you actually use the dimmer switch because it's so bright lol. One of my favorite tools.

Last edited:
Got some sailing blocks for additional MA. A single with becket and a fiddle block with a cam cleat. Came from eBay with about 50’ of 3/8” spliced onto the becket.
Dang I shoulda sold ya mine. I have the same thing, bought it 15 years ago just to be ready for the right scenario where needed, have never used it :O :/: :cry:

Gary, whadya mean targeting beavers??

12 gauge, #2 shot...or .223 if the light is good. They raise hob at the farm...burrow into earthen dams, make their own dams which screw up water management (they'll eventually flood and wash away the dirt road), etc.

Beavers are fun to watch, and really have a seriously valuable part of the ecosystem to play in regard to riparian habitats.

But they can and will kill every tree within tree height and a half of a watercourse they inhabit, before then moving on to the next piece of watercourse. If you happen to "own" that piece of creek, like I do, and would prefer it to be wooded rather than not, they are not a particularly welcome bit of wildlife.

I totally get where Gary is coming from.

These came yesterday and today...

IMG_20210109_133648.jpg IMG_20210110_084646.jpg

I was happy with the first hatchet I got, but it was a little heavy for my intended use, so I figured I'd get this one and a sappie. I'm 95% sure I found the real maker; adler tool...

Looks like they make stuff under contract for other companies. The hatchet above they call a French design. Dunno. The handle's pretty skinny, and feels like it's made for delicate French hands :^P Still a hair heavier than I'd like, but it has a nice balance. Have to finish sharpening it. I've got it 80% there.

Objectively, I'd rate these tools *** That's a legit 3*, meaning it's perfectly acceptable, and fit for purpose, though fit and finish are a little lacking. For a value weighted rating, I'd give it *****. The price is cheap for the quality provided. German quality, at a Chinese price. Very happy with my purchases.

That is one good looking tool, Mick.
Made in Deutchland, not China.

ISXKIIR, that hatchet and pickaroon are made at the North end of Schwarzwald (The Black Forest), the biggest forest in Germany.
They, if any, should know how to make that kind of tools.

Last edited:
I have some trees on our farm that I need logged but I don't think a skidder can get to them. We have already started losing some to gravity and beavers undermining the dams.

Something like this might let me skid them to the part of the dam where a skidder CAN get to.

Let us know how it does, Mick.

Attachments

• trees Farm - Boys-Alex-GL visit 2019 Nov  (27).jpg
    trees Farm - Boys-Alex-GL visit 2019 Nov (27).jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • trees on dams  (1).JPG
    trees on dams (1).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • trees on dams  (3).JPG
    trees on dams (3).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • trees on dams  (4).JPG