O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I really like the 1/2" blocks. I have been using the ISC 1/2"ers but lately I have been noticing that if they are not set exactly right the spring pin can be pushed open under load. I have not seen them open but the fact the pin is pushed thru to the unlock position has me concerned so that is why I bought the CMI's with the screw pin. I feel that they are a tad more robust and secure.
I noticed the ISC issue when taking down a silver maple and using two blocks. One set high and the other on the spar catching the load and it was the second block that had the issue.

I’ve yet to own anything from CMI that wasn’t incredibly well made and at a decent price. I doubt you’ll regret them blocks.

Most all my other blocks are CMI and the lill 1/2"ers were my first ISC blocks. I'll still use them for other things and such but not neg rigging with two block setups. I have pounded the ISC's tho and have served me well.

hanks Wesspur! 150 5/8" stable braid, 150 1/2" tree master , 100 1/2" tennex, 2. 1/2" cmi minis, and two xl rope bags.

At what point do you transition to a larger block? Or what’s the max weight you’ll rig out on those small blocks?

Most of our trees I can brush out to the main trunk with the 1/2'ers. 5-600 is my cut off for neg rigging with them. I have taken heavier but in a static lifting situation. Often I can rig out the tree to the trunk and flop the stem without going to bigger blocks.

I have one of the little green ones. May try one of those.

I would like to see a pic of them together for comparison.

I’d prefer a better release on the ISC. That knob is terribly oversized in relation to the size of the block. Even with the smaller sheave in the CMI, it beats a regular R-n-R friction saver. After running several 300#-400# limbs rather quickly, I’ve seen some scorching on the line when just using the rings.

Given the nickname, it does looks a bit sinister as it sits harmlessly on the trailer, just waiting to lull you into a false sense of security and get you aloft where it can pull out its bag of dirty tricks.

#fearthestrander

I like headlights...use them a lot. I have two by Fenix. This was my first Fenix...it is a great basic light that I can recharge in the truck or via computer via USB:

And this is one I got recently...I needed a much brighter light to help with shining beavers at night (I know some of you guys can deal with beavers in the dark without a light... I need to see the beaver to properly target it)

But Petzl has now blown my mind...their new HL, coming out in April 2021 is $800!!!

Just needed to vent.

Hell yea, headlamps are amazing for so many tasks. I get a few explosion proof ones every year through work, Pelican and Streamlight. They’re nice for working under a car and sharpening chains if it’s kinda dim in the area, though I definitely suggest mounting a nice light somewhere above the vise too.

Back