Log Length Firewood

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I'm selling some log length firewood, I realized I have a big assed pile. :lol:

The trailer will hold 18' L, 7' W, and 4' H. I'm conservatively considering that 3 cords of wood after it's cut and split.

Any opinions?

I understand air space, and log size will determine the exact amounts. I just want to be more than fair.

Your measurements yield nigh to 4 cords, air space aside. I'd say that would yield a true 3 cords of split and stacked wood, and then some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a more than fair kinda guy, John. Some day I hope it will come back to me when I'm old and decrepit. :)

Gotta add in that word, Willie.

I've got two sold already, awaiting delivery. Ad has been up two days. Three bills/load.

I've just got too much, it's longer than shows, it's growing, and I've been bringing it else where too!:|:

Attachments

• DSC00594.jpg
    DSC00594.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00497.jpg
    DSC00497.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 9
Jeez, when are you guys gonna wisen up and go metric?

Measuring firewood is sooooooo easy in metric.

Width x length x heigth = cubic meters.

That is right around five hundred here. I talked to a guy last yr about nine cord grapple loads for $800. I don't think he can get over the bridges here though.

Jeez, when are you guys gonna wisen up and go metric?

Measuring firewood is sooooooo easy in metric.

Width x length x heigth = cubic meters.

But the question is, if he sells a log load of wood that is 6 cubic meters, how many cubic meters will it be when it is cut, split and stacked?

Don't you have formulas for that?

We have one for use in the forests, back before stacks were photomeasured.

It is a point system, where you give the stack points for, thickness of the logs, straightness, how well they are stacked, detract debris, snow etc.

In the end you have a number that tells you the amount of solid wood in the stack.
Works quite well.

Brendon, weigh the load of wood, refer to a cubic chart for that species divide the mass by that number, you will get your cubic feet, then divide by 128.

B down here I couldn't give that away. Unless its oak and split they won't take it........

Same here Paul. I tried to sell some last fall for 150 per haul. No takers. Lots of inquiry's but when they actually listened or read the ad about log length, they flipped.

Did find a guy selling wood to give me 100$ per his dump truck load. Hoping that works out or else I'm having a large bonfire. Who wants to come roast marshmallows??

You might be able to go to Wood Web and determine the approx weight of the logs by size and use say 3600 pounds per cord and come up pretty close .

--or cut and split and stack a load then you'd know for sure .

I'm thinking Tom is getting around 150 a dump truck load in the rounds unsplit .That's around 3 cord but he doesn't have to fool with processing the stuff .Now that's right off the job site ,load it up and dump it .

The trailer will hold 18' L, 7' W, and 4' H. I'm conservatively considering that 3 cords of wood after it's cut and split.

I understand air space, and log size will determine the exact amounts. I just want to be more than fair.

A cord of logs tight packed does not deduct for air space between logs. That is a cord.
If you fill your trailer full. you are selling 3.9 pulp cords. Stack it a little high in the middle and call it 4 cord.

Here, we speak by "stere". It's (always) a stack of one cubic meter made with 1 meter long logs, so with all the air inside and the twisted shape on the logs.
Theoretically, the firewood is sold in 1m length, aka by steres, then, as the customer ask, the logs are cut in 50 cm or 33 cm or 25 cm. The shorter logs are less twisted and the stack becomes more compact. Cut in 50 cm , 1 stere is now only 0.8 cubic meter. Cut in 33 cm, 1 stere takes up down to 0.7 cubic meter.
And if you sell 1 stere of firewood cut in 25 cm, you have the same weight than the first 1 cubic meter of 1 m logs, but you delivery only a load of 0.6 cubic meter.
Something like that.
Now, if you want, convert in imperial units, I'm too sleepy to do that this night.:P

And 1 cord is 3 steres (but actually it can differ according to regional use).

Started loading some up today for Thursday.

Attachments

• DSC00609.jpg
    DSC00609.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00610.jpg
    DSC00610.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 7
Back