Firewood - Big Or Little?

lxskllr

Treehouser
How big do you all cut your firewood? I tend to with fairly large pieces, maybe 6²", and up to 24" long, though my preferred length is ~18". I get the feeling big pieces burn a touch slower, so less feeding, but I'm not married to that concept. I've never paid real close attention. Also easier to cut/split. I'm pretty lazy :^D

My stove fits 18-20, but 16 is way easier to fit. I tend to prefer smaller splits, 4x4 with a few fatties for over night

Since my 80yo father feeds his outdoor boiler, its cut at 18" long and split smaller than I would.
6" and smaller gets cut at 30" long.

A friend only splits what won't fit thru the door....

Ed

If you saw the vid of my fireplace in the Fireplace Fuel thread, I have a very wide/deep one. I have a decent size coal grate in the bottom, which creates a better fire scenario. I cross stack, so the shorties are 12" - 16", and the longs are anywhere from 16 " - 22".

Smaller (skinnier) when the fire is still getting going, and if possible lighter or less dense wood. Once the fire is really established, dense heavy wood as big as I can fit in there. Then it only needs feeding every 5 or 6+ hours depending what’s burning.
Again I’ll profess my love for honey locust and some oaks.

Most of our wood is in the typical 16" to 18" length and about 5" in diameter. That makes for easy stacking and loading.

Within that, are all the extremes from the largest round that will fit through the stove door to all the slivers left over from the splitting process, stored in garbage cans and used for kindling.

You really do need the small stuff in order to get things going hot and clean quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have almost a cord of stacked kindling I've been trying to burn through. Lately, when it's been dry for a couple days, my first load of wood is all little stuff; ≤2". I'll then get my normal wood to keep the fire going. Once I get that pile burned down, I'll have at least another cord of kindling to stack for next season. Seems like a never ending supply here...

My heater will take up to 22”, so my wood is cut anywhere from that down. I haul most of my wood home from jobs, and cut it up at home, so it varies greatly. I built my wood box to the exact length the stove will take, so I know when I bring it in if it will fit it not. I’ve had to pull more than one piece back out and throw it out to be re-cut. As to diameter...1”-8”, with 3” being the favored size I guess. Mostly limb wood so I don’t have to split.

For the customer own trees, I cut at 20" (-) usually. For me, my wood stove is small and takes only 12-14".
About the cross section, my reference is "take it by one hand", size wize but by weight too.

Whats your opinion on blue spruce as firewood?
Got a bunch from the storm damage job.

Better than nothing. Crackly, sharp smelling, and burns fast. Milling is more interesting I think. Boards are light as a feather, and fairly strong considering the weight.

Yeah, spruce is my least favorite wood to burn. Just doesn't give off much heat and it burns quick.

But I do burn it along with everything else.

Whats your opinion on blue spruce as firewood?
Got a bunch from the storm damage job.
It likes to pop a lot, fine for outdoor use, makes nice kindling. Can be a royal pain to split if you don't read the grain right or try to split a whorl of limbs.

We have a wood stove so it should be fine. Will mix it with the other stuff come winter.

Splitting is a huge one. My two yard trees I removed, I split with a chainsaw. It was full of branches top to bottom, and wouldn't split for anything. I did one round, then switched to the saw. They make nice Swedish candles, so if you've got the saw out anyway, you could make some candles for chilling outside.

my take , every firebox by design has an optimal length. Then there's handle ability of the pieces. Lots of friends here with outdoor boilers run the three footers it was designed for , most eventually go down to two footers for easier handling. Here my stoves can take twenty inch no problem , I cut to eighteen for general population (stacked ahead of winter) longs that will fit (up to twenty two) I usually segregate. Firewood creates shorts which is why I keep that longs but usable pile ... a few less cuts and a few less shorts. Burn the shorts first every fall , cleanup some after splitting and keep that stuff for restarting .... also save quite a bit of Birch Bark most years. Beautiful thing to warm up quickly ...

I cut my kindling and starter fuel in short rounds, being aware of knots. It splits into small pieces well, which creates a high surface area : volume ratio, which is good for starting.

I don't keep my hatchet sharpened. I was distracted a minute, now I have a minor blood blister on my thumb.
Wouldn't have been doing it that way with a sharp one. I like my fingers .

The last time I got stitches was from cutting kindling with a machete. I was holding the branch in one hand, and cutting with the other. I keep my machetes pretty sharp. Went straight through my glove, and my immediate thought was "Well, that isn't good...". Removing the glove affirmed that. In retrospect, it was probably a good thing. The injury wasn't as bad as it could have been, and it made me very aware of the stupidity of holding and cutting, which is particularly relevant when using a chainsaw.

A small piece of wood steadies the piece being split plenty well, when using a sharp one.

My friend, commonly known to screw up some things, well, lots of things, lost a bit of his finger tip and a little off the nail.

On one hand, the whiskey was already anesthetic on board. On the other hand, intact finger tips. Well, on the other hand, whiskey meant waiting to drive until morning.

Back