Firewood - Big Or Little?

For custies. 16" as per weights and measures requirements to be able to stack a true cord. 3 rows = 48". Then 48" high by 8' long. 128 Cu Ft.
Now, if they order granny split and cut, 12-14" no bigger than 4X4 wide.
Some custies order 18-24.
Now most clients have no friggen clue what fits in a stove. Most stoves will fit 16" in CA since it is required to be so by weights and measures.
Older stoves, not so much. I bought my stove with a big enough door and box I can fit 20" in it.
Rob bought an older stove and prefers 12-14. Small door and box. SO IF we process wood for a client, we take the scraps. Big for me. Small for him.
We have had clients order 24", insist on it, then have to cut it in 1/2 because well, they don't know 16, 18 from 24..... Poor bastids.

My stove I loved in NE was a converted water tank made into a wood stove. It would take 3' long pretty easy. Damn that was a good burning stove. Kit build.

Ditto. I think Ive dropped off more than 10 cord and had almost as much pickred up off job site by gatherers.
They love getting trailers loaded by mini.

Ditto. I think Ive dropped off more than 10 cord and had almost as much pickred up off job site by gatherers.
They love getting trailers loaded by mini.
I have folks stop by from time to time and inquire about firewood. I tell them to bring a trailer and I’ll load it, random length. They are NOT allowed to run a saw on my job.

Last edited:
Sometimes I prefer short so I can stick them in the short way for better airflow according to the design of my stove, even though it can cram 24" up front in front of the fire brick.

As for how big I split wood...
20210201_231542 (1000x750).jpg

The big chunk is probably 12x8" face dimensions.

Stuff that comes home I dont want to muscle around and process, i drop down on the corner of the property. It can be accessed from the road. Large almost flat area you can about turn a truck and trailer around in. I tell the neighbors it the Goodman & Cole you buck it, you truck it wood lot and they are welcome to it.
Pine logs too. We have the saw shop always in need to have some to test saws in. They come haul off short logs for that. Some guys will show up and make kindling out of those too. We have a pile of mill slash next door for that as well. Some folks take the caps for projects. There are a few fences around these parts made of ours.

Sounds like you are speaking Greek to me. Oak, Ash, Hickory, N.Maple, Sugar Maple, Locust, Beech, these are the only languages I speak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing it's this guy...

No idea on firewood, but I'd be interested in smelling it. Might be worth trying to distill the oil. Doesn't seem like a very common tree unless you live in Africa.

So how is blue atlantic cedar for firewood?
Sure it’s not blue atlas cedar? If price is right try throwing in a few pcs and see ... About the best advice I can give, Never encountered it or was aware of it - not native to my locale

Good to start a fire with I would imagine with the oil content. I used to be a bit of a firewood snob and would not bother with boxelder. Had to piece some up to get it out of a yard job. Found out if is cut and split right away it dries fast and burns quite well. Standing dead, which I scout ash, oak, etc., boxelder is garbage. Does not seem to dry without rotting unless it is split green.

I don’t burn pine...

No one burns pine around here.

In Sydney I used to leave it out the front, didn't go much. Started cutting it into 12-14" and it used to go in no time, scroungers there burn anything. I never left Camphor laurel or Liquid Amber, might of got that back.

For my fire there (Osburn) insert, I used to cut about 15-20" but the fire box I have now isn't so deep so mainly 12-15"

Shorts , pain in the ass really. Can't stack them , I used to give them away and or burn them outside as waste. Now I do want the heat and try to make them burned before big snow then hit my uniform piles after.

Sure it’s not blue atlas cedar?
Its latin name is Cedrus atlantica, but we commonly call it "cèdre de l'Atlas".
The Atlas mountains in north Africa are its native area, that's why.
Its color goes from green to blue, the last being more often chosen as an ornamental.
I love this massive tree, plenty of them all around from the 1800's and 1900's. But they had a hard time a few years ago and so many died suddenly, still struggling some adversity and showing poor or even dying tops and limbs. Too bad.

If you look after the smell, Cedrus atlantica is a little deceptive (better than Cedrus deodara though). You better have to find the Cedrus libani (Lebanon's cedar), this one is gorgeous.

Back