I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

Now GO AWAY!
Stop with the silly apologising and just GO AWAY!

And please answer the question , I put to you in post #718.
What are you adding to this forum?

x'ept the DRAMA QUEEN crap, of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's my latest friction hitch, the INFINITY hitch, which I just posted onto my channel in both long and short form!

Long form:

Short form:

I sometimes (but not often, because my viewers are usually pretty knowledgeable) get comments from individuals, who I assume are probably new to climbing, and who are new to my channel, who ask me to demonstrate every useful application for my friction hitches. While I always respect and appreciate people who view and comment on my videos, it gets a bit frustrating when it seems obvious that they simply haven't done their own research.

I have most definitely made videos where I show myself testing friction hitches and, admittedly, I probably should make more. The viewer associates a successful demonstration of anything with a successful anything. However, there are countless videos all about how friction hitches work and their countless applications. It's really not worth my time or energy to make a video like this for every single hitch I make.

In fact, I would have to make 85+ different videos demonstrating the same exact 20+ applications in order to pull this off, and I'm simply not interested in doing that. While I have countless videos that are tailored to the beginner climber, the vast majority of my videos require intermediate to advanced knowledge of tree climbing. While I fully understand that I might get more views if I make more videos for the beginner, and while I do plan on actually making more videos for the beginner, that type of content doesn't excite me and it doesn't challenge me very much either. Simply put, it's really boring, and so it takes a lot to push me to go in that direction for content creation.

Anyways, just sort of airing out my thoughts publicly for those who care.

This comment just came in after posting one of the above videos. Again, I don't really get them very often because most of my viewers already understand friction hitches.

2024-04-05 (5).png

Last edited:
New videos on my channel! Here's my latest friction hitch creation, the SNAIL friction hitch, which was named by one of my subscribers who won a contest I held where I gave my viewers the opportunity to pick the name for this friction hitch. After two weeks of receiving entries, I picked the winner using a random number generator!

Long form:

Short form:

Time lapse of the entire process I go through every time I test a new friction hitch, which usually take anywhere between 20-30 minutes. The video shows one of the days where I was struggling a little bit, which is sort of nice, because it makes everything look very realistic. You can view either my pinned comment or the description for a full breakdown of every step in chronological order. This was shot in 4K on my Nikon DSLR at one shot every 1/2 second. The duration, after being trimmed a bit, is 1m43s, meaning that there are 206 individual frames in this time lapse.

I stupidly uploaded the photos to Premiere Pro without first touching them up in Lightroom, so it could have looked a lot better. But after rendering the video, which took a very long time, I decided I would just leave it as it is. I still think it turned out well and the music goes along very nicely.

Having some technical difficulties with this video, which is not sending out notifications to my subscribers and doesn't seem to be gaining any new views. It's also out of sequence, showing it posted over a month ago, despite just posting it moments ago today.

Oh well. I hope this video starts to get some exposure over the next day or so...

I did a collaboration with an arborist named Brian McGovern of Wood Pecker Arborist!

He created a friction hitch he calls the McGovern 3.0, which is his third iteration of his wrench-less friction hitch! Yes, it supposedly works without a rope wrench, but, just as any hitch, performs even better with a rope wrench or with MRS.

As always, I'm giving my friends on this forum early access to my content! Just a bonus of being part of the Tree House that I think is important insofar as my duty to help drive attention to this forum! It's only a small contribution, but I think it might help!

Brian named the hitch after his father!

I've taken on a new shorts format, where I'm using music instead of vocal descriptions of the tying methods. I've analyzed larger channels and this is what they appear to be doing, and understandably why...this new format is more engaging!

Short form:

Long Form:

I hope you enjoyed the videos!

Here's Brian's channel and his video on his friction hitch!

~Knotorious

Last edited:
I didn't watch the long. I'm assuming it's the same as your older videos. I like the clap transition. It's entertaining, and it's become kind of a "trademark" I associate with your videos.

I didn't watch the long. I'm assuming it's the same as your older videos. I like the clap transition. It's entertaining, and it's become kind of a "trademark" I associate with your videos.
I did a clap early in the short form. I displayed the hitch in the first few seconds and then clapped to transition to the tying method. Best viewed on YouTube shorts. I know you don't have that, @lxskllr.

Glad you like it. It's an underused transition on YouTube, so I'm glad you're learning to associate it with my channel!

Doh! I see it's in the short now. I was concentrating on the music integration, and didn't pay attention to the clap. I like it there also.

Back