What to do with black locust logs/ slabs/ lumber??

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
A local non-profit conservation organization asked if I'd consider knocking down an invasive black locust on their shoreline/ tidal flat area restoration site. The locust sounds like it root suckers, and seeds, and can form thickets, from what I gathered with a little internet research.

They offered that I could take the wood if I could use it, as some sort of compensation.
It burns well, but I'm swimming in firewood, and would be a waste. If I don't do anything with it, it will just become free firewood.
I can have it milled locally for a 50/50 split, or pay by the board foot.

Its nothing overly large. One trunk splits into 4 trunks within the first 8'. Overall diameter around the base is only around 30+". 60-70' tall.

I can have it milled locally for a 50/50 split, or pay by the board foot.

a1c1863e5589805a515515acd9dd7ab0.jpg

Sean, any boat builders in your area making wooden boats? Locust gets used for that sometimes. It steam bends well, I know one use is for boat ribs. Furniture makers might be interested. It is hard and heavy and wouldn't be considered an easy wood to work with, but results with it can be pleasing. Some craftsmen are particularly interested in using local woods. If you were going to have it milled before finding an interested party or it hasn't been decided about a particular use, I would suggest having it milled fairly thick, say 2 1/4" thick. Though it tends to be straight grained, it can want to twist when drying. An unseasoned or only partially seasoned wood can be an advantage when wanting to bend it.

This chair has bent parts out of Black Locust. A humble wood, but it ages nicely with depth. Know any furniture makers in your area? I'd buy Black Locust if it was good quality straight grained material.

Attachments

• locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 61
Also look for custom bow makers, long bows and recurves. They will cut it into thin, precisely tapered lams and sandwich them between clear fiberglass. It makes a fast and beautiful bow.

It seems an odd wood in some respects. For such a hard wood it sure can split easily if you get a tenon too tight. It just pops. Something about lack of the substance between the cells that binds them together. Even when green it doesn't seem to be holding as much water as other woods. If you are burning green wood for not having dry, it seems to be a better one.

Years ago on post and beam construction green locust was used for the pins. It's also rot resistant probably about second in that respect after osage orange. Real good fire wood too.

Some dudes around here will peel bark and use for posts to give rustic look on new construction. Also fence posts and split rails

Or get rid of you lame firewood and started hoarding just locust

I tend to turn down gigs when they say "you can have the wood". If you can't find a $ use for the wood, see if they will pay you for your time and put it up on craigslist free wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No discount for wood. Volunteer work for a conservation/ restoration non-profit.

Robinia Pseudoacacia (checked it on google) grows well over here and in parts of the UK, makes good fence posts, and splits well for rails. Apart from firewood that's all I've ever known it used for.

Willie, those burls are some of the best turning wood there is!
Make sure you get them off the log as whole as you can.
Each holds a wonderful bowl!

file.php

If no one is opposed, please expound. I have a guy that will teach me lathe work and sharpening. I'm looking into purchasing a laguna 1836 and he gave me a huge list of things to buy. Probably be a month before I start pulling the trigger

I'd rather learn a thing or two and give away bowls out plates. Got some Madrone burls coming too but they may be bad

Back