How'd it go today?

Got my license renewed; good for 8 years; kept the motorcycle
Pigwot, didn't know you retired. At what age if I may ask. How long were you in the tree business?
Mostly retired. Retired from Hospice Nursing, though I keep my nursing licenses (Delaware and Pennsylvania) current doing home health care with a few 80 and 90 year olds in the neighborhood ; still fill in doing crane work with two friends (~40 years in the trees), and woodworking.

Got my license renewed; good for 8 years; kept the motorcycle

Mostly retired. Retired from Hospice Nursing, though I keep my nursing licenses (Delaware and Pennsylvania) current doing home health care with a few 80 and 90 year olds in the neighborhood ; still fill in doing crane work with two friends (~40 years in the trees), and woodworking.
Oh, and I am 64, to answer your question.

Looks like another rainy day today. Up early to clean (some, not all of the) house; spoke with daughter and her family in China. Making plans to remotely help granddaughter (9 yrs old) set up the Raspberry Pi I got her when they were here for the holidays. Yesterday got taxes finished for the two family businesses in Michigan; avoiding doing my own... for now sitting with my coffee and some reading till the sun comes up. In a few hours I’ll check on my four home health patients ( ages: 90, 88, 83, and 80). Then I’ll decide what is next.

I made a nice fire out two shoot diseased maples in the castle's ground. But looking the understory, I found many babies/little maples contaminated or dead, some bigger ones already on the ground or still standing but showing some strikes of the fungi. That sucks.

Solo drop and walks yesterday. Thought I had to strip one out, but the guy moved a ton of stuff since I last looked at it. Dropped one limb and sent the rest with a pull line and three cuts. Feed up my day for another one that was scheduled for today. Took today off while the boys worked a brushing job to fix little crap and see if I could fix a tractor tire. Looks like I guess I have to pull it and transport it to a place about an hour a way. Go shoot some trap tonight after I hung the new LED lights on the light pole last Sat. Should end as a good day. Taking the climbing gear in case I need to make adjustments tonight.

I was ready to go make cabinets this morning when the wife said someone is across the stream at the edge of the forest. It was a city employee in a small Kubota track hoe clearing fallen trees. I got my waders and a 372 and went to talk to him and ended up bucking sections of oak logs into lengths he could lift. Convinced his boss to leave the one sturdy log that the fox use to cross the stream. Afternoon spent in the cabinet shop.

The old family-owned mill in MO where I got my buckwheat pancake mix from got bought out and sucks now, so have been researching other mills.

Tried some from a NY, which was pretty different...not sure if I cared for it. All the available in-store brands around here are unacceptable either due to being crap or too long on the shelves.
Checking out a couple other little mills, one in OH and another in NC...sent for a couple lbs from each.

Otherwise, been totally wrapped up in figuring out fiddle & guitar parts on old country & western swing stuff.

I've been pretty happy with Bob's stuff, but I wouldn't say I'm a grain connoisseur or anything. I eat a lot of their steel cut oats.

It's not too bad the way I make them. I like the grains somewhat intact when finished, so I decrease the water by 25%. Takes 10-15 minutes to complete, and the grains have substance, and a bit of "chew" to them.

I wasn't impressed with the Red Hill stuff. They sell it in the stores up here.
Think I'll try a bag from the mill and see if it's any better though, sometime when they have it in stock...

Last edited:
That sucks @Tree09 Heal up
We’re having a day of meetings and training. Knocked out some environmental training and I’m off to go take a test for some OQ that we are being required to have all of the sudden. Pretty soon I’ll be qualified to mark buried utilities as well. What’s funny is I’ll still have to call the locate in and get a number before marking.

Well, once again i was grateful for me being a complete cheap ass. Years ago i happened to score 2 hot water heaters for free when they were doing a remodel at an apartment my buddy was working on. Kinda sucks that they are electric, but hey, free is free. So i just had to swap out a hearing element and we're back in business. Still completely sucked to do in this shape, but better than the alternative for sure

Back