How'd it go today?

Urban tree work, is a low cost entry, cashflow rich business.

It is difficult to go broke, you can not make enough money, but bankruptcy would be difficult to do.

I saw a programme about trawlermen once, anyway there was this old guy, up to his neck in debt, paying fines for overfishing, struggling to keep the bank from repossessing his boat, fat, chain smoker.
The TV guy was interviewing him at the wheel of his boat.
”why do you keep doing this? Why not sell the boat and retire? Save yourself the worry”
The guy turned to the TV guy with a look of incomprehension almost pitying him.
”I’m a fisherman” he said
End of interview.

Last edited:
Stig, if the machinery is forbidden now in the state forests, what about helilogging to save all the wood already on the ground?
Not worthy or not available?

Yesterday was good weather.

7nSAS0f.jpg

W8ALv2u.jpg

Geezus you've go the Montana version of the everglades out there

Ridiculously wet here too Stig. I am so far behind with work, with the combination of weather & the hernia I am loosing customers fast.
Stopped caring now as there is feck all I can do about it

Wow! there's a lot of nothin' out there Jim. I bet it looks amazing at night.

Stig, I don't know exactly what you do, and under what terms, but it sounds like payment is deferred, not gone? If you can hold out awhile, it'll all be cool?

Mick...I had one cat do that to me...cat went to the top of a maple where man can't go. It was almost dark, temp in 30's, windy, miserable work. I tried to shake him out but he held on tight (undergrowth was so thick he would have fallen 30 feet into vines that I could almost walk on...great cushion to land on...but no). I tied the top off, took out my Silky and dropped the top, cat and all. It snatched up tight (about a 10 foot top) as it landed on the vines, cat still holding on. Friggin' cat then started climbing up the upside down top towards me! Back into the tree. I hollered I guess cause then the cat bailed out to the ground thru the vines and took off into the sunset.

Stig, if the machinery is forbidden now in the state forests, what about helilogging to save all the wood already on the ground?
Not worthy or not available?
No helicopters to be had in Denmark.
Place is flat, normally we can get everything out with forwarders.
This is pretty far from nornal.

I am a little shocked Jim, no snow!

I have been plugging along with a bigger job, worked yesterday and we are going out today. Next weeks weather looks nasty snow and high winds or at least too high for the lift anyways. I have one removal, a cable, and five to deadwood. Stumps and chipping Monday.

Some strong winds again today.
This week I finally dismantled the big red oak broken by the first storm. It was not the leaning coleader splited at the rotten union as I expected, but the whole tree toppled, luckily away from the neighbor's house. The root ball was heavily decayed. Very few sound roots were pulled out of the ground. The main roots actually holding the tree where sheared off the trunk. She splited in half an other twin oak, up-rooted a spruss and wreckef a big wild plum tree. Initially hung up in the air, she settled down a good bit during the two other storms, which facilitated the removal.

Got some good news today.
We have a thing here where the State will subsidize companies that train apprentices.
There are a lot of things that have to line up in order to get it, but we passed muster.
So we'll get $5 an hour from the State for teaching our new guy the trade.
Doesn't sound like much, but over the 3 years that we have him, it sure adds up.

Had to stake out some property lines today. It was for a client of ours that's probably the biggest farmer in the county. His farmer neighbor pushed trees over on his fences, and broke a good bit of fence. We were warned the neighbor might come out and start shit. He's had the cops called numerous times, and our client said they usually send a swat team because he's such a pita. I wore my skull splitter axe for a little insurance...

4599-33042-v1.jpg

it looks more intimidating than it is. If I had to into melee combat, I'd be relieved to see my opponent carrying one of those. It's pretty much useless. Too light so there's no ass behind it. I got it cause it looks cool, but the only good use I've found for it is chopping vines off trees. It's so light, you can cut vines, and not do much damage to the trunk.

Anyway, I didn't need it. Nobody ever came out. The judge told our client there was nothing they could do about the fence cause there wasn't any proof. Yea, some random stranger just rolled into the field with heavy equipment, and pushed a bunch of trees over :rollseyes:

Back