How'd it go today?

Get a salvage title on the car eh?

Nice work Gary.

The world seems to be full of ziggers. Very few zaggers around anymore.

Boy oh boy...........we got a couple guys on the fire dept that are interested in high angle stuff.

Looking for a good usable harness??????? We are! Anyone feel like selling a good harness to a progressive volunteer fire department??

Nice finds, Pigwot!

Gary, wow!

Jim, home camping rocks, done it a time or two myself.

What kind of harness, tree climbing harness? I have one more or less new, just a basic weaver butt strap saddle, you want?

Cleaning?! It just got out of the wash!
Just needs a spin dry cycle!

and I second the full body harness for high angle (Petzl with upper harness) due to you firefighter types getting into the most unpredictable and unusual situations and positions.

Nice score Pigwot.
Gary you really get into some interesting stuff. The car really didn’t look to bad for getting drug our on its top like that.
Jim I would look into the high angle rescue thing a bit more and get the proper harness. Also I’m pretty sure there is quite a bit of training involved to carry the proper certs. I could be wrong though. It’s on my list to figure out here too. Just haven’t moved it to a priority yet.
I went and helped a friend work on making big logs into small logs yesterday morning. He had a lot of rounds over 36” diameter and needed a hand (literally) since he had stitches in his left thumb. Guessing around two cords worth when I left at lunchtime. Visited with my parents afterwards. Dad is doing much better. He appears to be following the doctors orders and looks better than he has in a couple of years. Spent the evening watching movies with the kids. I really have nothing planned for the day, so I might just do absolutely nothing today 😎

Did a little milling today. Went way slower than I'd have liked. It always takes me awhile to set things up, and I had to setup pretty much everything. From the ladder on the log to the mill itself. Just got the top slabbed off, and one 7.5" live edge. I'm a little concerned about the next step. I need to push the 21'x7.5"x~30" slab off the log onto some 4x4s that aren't there yet, cut another slab, push it off next to the first, then stand them both up, clamp them, then mill them into dimensional lumber. That's a lot of weight to manhandle around, and I think it'll be a little tricky.

Haha!!
What sort of application are you thinking of? We have training on Wednesday, I can try and get a picture or two of our kit.
My Road Crash Unit does rescue up and down steep slopes, patient in a basket, accessing vehicles down steep slopes, or rooftop access for storm damage. We have to do training, the skills consolidation, then assessment with refresher every three years. Our basic kit that has been put together by the Regional Staff (the paid people) is:

3x Petzl Ave Bod full body fall arrest harnesses
10x steel carabiners
2x 4" rescue pulleys with prussic loops (to make a Z Rig)
4x personal prussic loops
4x 5m tape slings
2x 2m tape slings
1x 80m main line
1x 50m belay line
1x 20m rigging line
1x throwline and 12 oz throwbag
assorted edge and chafe protection
a few coils of cheap rope for tying stuff.

My Vertical Rescue Team does high angle stuff...much more technical...still learning. We support career Fire who do building rescue and Police who lead on wilderness rescue. Minimum three years to certify.

The volunteer Fire Brigades just watch, and help on rescue stuff...and look for fire :lol:

Its for a team...but actually quite minimalist. Everything but the harnesses fits into one kitbag. Nothing fancy, enough to get the job done.

Things are looking up and up.

Lined up an interesting job that I bid a month ago, with extra work likely added. Set up for a dry day, all climbing.

New owners of an annual. Residential pruning job are cool. 3 fruit trees, and a couple ornamentals, with a nice view. Easy snip, snip, snip job.

Had a very chill weekend. Breakfast with a friend.

Getting my newly re-available space into use. My renter's moved their tiny house to their newly acquired house, freeing up hardened parking, pole barn space, and good access to the wood shed.

More organizing the shop tomorrow, and maintenance.

Neighbor is going to do some chipper rewiring and other routine and preventative maintenance. Win-win.

Finally went back to work today, been too sore to hardly move at all. Agony, back is still pretty bad. Sitting in chiropractor office now, hopefully this round doesn't put me down again.

Hope you get your back sorted. I'm fairly lucky(?) that my back has a somewhat predictable healing rate. When it really goes out, I'll be useless for most of a week, sore the week after that, then about as good as it gets by the third week. My last bout was a little different, and shorter than typical, but that was a bonus. When my back dicks me over, the end's in sight; just have to get there.

I see the chiro every 4 weeks Kyle, if not I would have been in a wheelchair 40 years ago. Working on my 6th chiropractor, this one should outlast me.

I should just do that, it would be smarter to catch it on the front end rather than wait till I'm too bound up to move. He was much gentler tonight, hopefully be moving decently tomorrow without eating ibuprofen like tic tacs. He was thinking i should be normal by the end of the week, which would be a miracle

I learned it’s easier to keep up than catch up. My best investment for my back was prescription orthotics/insoles for my shoes. Like walking on sand or like I tell the Doc “feels like my boots are full of cocaine”, gives me happy feet. He didn’t think it was funny.
I refuse to take pain meds for my back, it would be so easy to hurt myself worse. If the doctor asks if I need something for pain I say no but I’all save’em for when I’m feeling better, he didn’t think that was funny either. Nobody gets me... heh

Kyle, heal up feel better, soon. I've found for my back, that if it goes out badly, as it does every 2 or 3 years or so, I take a muscle relaxer and it really works. I'm anti medicine as much as possible btw. Last time it happened, I spent 5 days on the couch, heating pad etc, and finally couldn't wait any longer, had to get back to work, those meds worked fine. No side effects etc.

Been working in the rain all winter.
Haven't gotten used to it yet.

Back