How'd it go today?

My friend gives his thoroughbred watermelons that growers can't take to market. He breaks them up and throws the pieces in a big bucket, "Turbo" eats the green part and everything, you can hear the chomping from those big molars from some distance away. He'll raise his head up and rivers of juice will be drooling out of his mouth from all sides, then he dives back in...thoroughly disgusting. He loves those melons!

Today I threw a ton of bales. Well a few tonne actually. I had a really good second cut which sets me up nicely for the year now and keeps my feed costs down too. Best year for hay since we've been here.
We threw bales by hand onto a trailer and then stacked them in the barn, is that what you mean Justin?
Every horse we ever had loved watermelons, rind and all too Jay, pretty funny watching 'em eat.

Beautiful picture Willard!

Down for a few days, got a raging sore throat, worst I can remember. I even called off from Fire Brigade and SES callouts.
At least I can lie on the couch and watch the Olympics...

Second day of nursing school proper....gonna be intense

The simulation lab is pretty cool. 200k dummy which does everything a human does, wirelessly connected behind mirrors. Staff can make them go bat shit crazy cussing you out while starting IV......whatever the say through mic...etc.

So far I'm pretty psyched but I can tell some folks are gonna drop like flies...

Might be a little hiatus from here from when things get intense. Clinical starts in 2 weeks

I have a cousin that went to Harvard medical school. Always was a brainy guy. His ambition to be a doctor got thwarted when what seemed like an endless line of bodies donated to science came wheeling down on rollers from above. So he told it.

We threw bales by hand onto a trailer and then stacked them in the barn, is that what you mean Justin?
Every horse we ever had loved watermelons, rind and all too Jay, pretty funny watching 'em eat.

That's exactly what I mean Ray. I'm the driver, the chucker, and the stacker too.

I've never given our horses watermelon. Might have to try that out.

Had a small job to cut back some branches over hanging a house, HO said the city said it was their tree, but before construction of the house the city claimed it was their tree and not to be touched in any way (a by-law in Brantford). I didn't like there was no name or ID attached to this notice, put off the job till better documentation is presented. A pretty high profile area, by a major park and a large trail system, and municipal works passing almost every half-hour. Didn't want to risk fines, and grief for the HO or myself. HO managed to get someone from Forestry to sign it. A go for tomorrow weather pending. IMHO is it a municipal tree, even friggin' used as an anchor point for a secondary drop for a neighbouring house.
IMG_20160817_105621.jpg

We baled over 9000 bales of first cutting this year. I am not the sole driver, chucker, and stacker though. It does compare to tree work.

Been so dry second cutting has not been cut yet. Just started getting some rain and the grass is turning green again.

This is hobbyist stuff here. Seven acres has yielded me nearly 800 small squares over the two cuts. 300-400 bales in a day on my own is certainly work. It's stacking it in the barn that kills me though, no elevator, so the big quad workout of climbing the bale stairway just zaps me to the core. I've done treejobs just as hard though.

I look around some but have yet to find a deal. The one problem I see with it, and I've used them plenty when I was younger, is that a conveyor like most things with haying works better with more hands.

I'm still really stoked on my hay season. We are done early so I can still water the field and turn my horses out on it earlier. I can keep 500bales to feed three horses and two donkeys, which is plenty because we have decent pastures too, and sell 300 to recoup most of my farming costs.

What are they, about 90 pounds? That would figure about 2.6 tons per acre. Pretty good.

It's funny, 2000 round bales for me is less physical than 800 idiot cubes for you.

Like when I had 50 ewes. We worked harder working those 50 ewes on my place than we would have working 1000 on my father in laws place.

Sometimes it's awful hard work being a hobbiest. Get you a stack wagon and a Pridgeon fork!

No worries Jim. I'm not certain on the weight. The size varies a bit due to my farmers inconsistent baler.

I'm always on the lookout for deals on farming equipment around these parts. But I tell yah what, farmers are some penny pinching deal snatchers. Because I'm great at snagging deals but I always get beat out on any good farming equipment deals it seems.

Well, the camping trip is winding down. Been fun with the boat and camper.

Windy this afternoon so we called it quits on the boat about 3. No fire tonight.

Head home tomorrow, get back to work......and pick up my new pups.

Mother suggested we leave the camper out here and come back this weekend. Might do that, if the guilt does not overcome me.

Haha! Ruthless bastids, them farmers!

Out of curiosity, what brand of baler is he using? Dad had trouble with his New Hollands making consistent bales. They use China men to feed the hay where as John Deere uses an auger.

The JD balers were more consistent.

No worries Jim. I'm not certain on the weight. The size varies a bit due to my farmers inconsistent baler.

I'm always on the lookout for deals on farming equipment around these parts. But I tell yah what, farmers are some penny pinching deal snatchers. Because I'm great at snagging deals but I always get beat out on any good farming equipment deals it seems.

Sounds familiar, I think that farmers are tough to deal with on equipment because they have no restrictions on space at their place. It can sit there a few more years.
Plus there's "farmers talk" where they can spend hours talking to each other about stuff till one of them mentions that they no longer need their baler/plough/trailer etc and a deal is done without it ever coming onto the open market.

Back