How'd it go today?

Hope the chipper is an easy fix, know what you mean'bout diesel learning curve.... need to change fuel filter on my 7.3l.... anyone have instructions for me? Jim? Oh Jim??

7.3 is realatively easy. Even has a pet cock on the bottom of the bowl that drains down a small hose off the valley. That way, you can drain the dirty stuff out, place the new filter in and get on it. Usually self primes fine. But I will fill the bowl with some fuel to just speed up the process.

I think Peter has the IDI version Stephen. It should have a fuel Filter/water separator located above the pass side valve cover.

If it the original filter, it will be of a two piece design. The bottom piece will have a petcock on it along with the sensor for the water in fuel light.

Disconnect the drain hose and the wire, both just pull off.

You have to dissassemble the filter and clean the bottom piece that unscrews. The new filter will have two gaskets in the box, or should have. Check to make sure.

You are not supposed to pre fill the filter, but since the 7.3 IDI has no hand primer, and a weak transfer pump, I do pre fill it.

There is a one piece design that you can switch to, but if your bottom piece is in good shape, I would stick with the original design.

Good luck!

I think Peter has the IDI version Stephen. It should have a fuel Filter/water separator located above the pass side valve cover.

If it the original filter, it will be of a two piece design. The bottom piece will have a petcock on it along with the sensor for the water in fuel light.

Disconnect the drain hose and the wire, both just pull off.

You have to dissassemble the filter and clean the bottom piece that unscrews. The new filter will have two gaskets in the box, or should have. Check to make sure.

You are not supposed to pre fill the filter, but since the 7.3 IDI has no hand primer, and a weak transfer pump, I do pre fill it.

There is a one piece design that you can switch to, but if your bottom piece is in good shape, I would stick with the original design.

Good luck!

thanks Stephen and Jim. Yup, Jim is right. I think there is a purge button on the filter assembly. Any need for me to do that if i prefill the filter? or just start cranking?

thanks again!

There is a little Schrader type valve on the top of the housing. There is also a little plug that you can remove.

If you have help, it would not hurt anything to hold that little valve open, but I usually dont have any help when I do it and it will generally start.

If you are worried that you did not get the filter full enough, you can remove the little plug and try to fill it a bit more.

In the past I have loosened that plug so that there are a few threads holding it in and then start it. Air will bleed off and when it starts you can scurry over and tighten up the plug before it makes too much mess.

However, I bet it starts just fine with a full filter. Once it starts, bring the idle up to about 14 hundred or so. If it does pull a slug of air, sometimes having the idle up a bit will carry enough rotary momentum to catch again without dying.

I think Peter has the IDI version Stephen. It should have a fuel Filter/water separator located above the pass side valve cover. !
Ahhhhhhhhhh soooooooooooo.....

Thanks Jim.

I am still learning. Like I hear I can put a later year electronic pump set up eliminating the mechanical on the engine issues and also the I think 99 injectors that deliver more fuel..... But I am still researching.

These engines can definitely benefit from improved fuel delivery.

Lots of guys use better transfer pump set ups, for both the Power Stroke and IDI engines.

There is a difference in injectors Stephen.

The later injectors were of a "multi shot" design. That means that each injection event was broken up into multiple smaller injections. The real benefit of this design was that it made the combustion event quieter.

The earlier "single shot" injectors were capable of injecting more fuel, but the engine was louder.

All the high performance injectors are of the single shot design.

Peter's "injectors" are actually nozzles. All the pressure is created in the pump, and the pump is where you can make performance gains, not the nozzles.

Justin, glad your girl waited on help...level head, not worried about being embarrassed to get rescued. Your forebodings are understood and correct in my world. Any water where you can't see all the way to the bottom everywhere (and most rivers are not that...in Florida and Mexico I have seen them clear like that but not anywhere else) is a hazard...current just makes it so much worse.

Don't let her get too comfortable swimming in those kind of areas...sometimes it is the friend swimming with someone that gets in trouble and takes both down.

Justin, glad your girl waited on help...level head, not worried about being embarrassed to get rescued. Your forebodings are understood and correct in my world. Any water where you can't see all the way to the bottom everywhere (and most rivers are not that...in Florida and Mexico I have seen them clear like that but not anywhere else) is a hazard...current just makes it so much worse.

Don't let her get too comfortable swimming in those kind of areas...sometimes it is the friend swimming with someone that gets in trouble and takes both down.

Yah luckily a good learning event, and not a tragic one. So hard to properly convey the true dangers. Before she went out I had really tried to put some fear in her. The upper Shuswap is a semi serious river for around here. I went to school with a young man who died cliff jumping there. The brother to the girl who's locker was right beside mine for five years of high school. Very tragic when we were younger.

So hard to convey caution without fear mongering. And then the kid is half wild and shooting small Rapids anyways. When we were there yesterday there was probably fifty people there and about another fifty tubers that came down the river. I saw no one enter the the serious pool/currents besides myself just free swimming. And I really felt it out cautiously. I swim very relaxed in a river, working with the currents as much as possible. Most of my pre-teen through my teenage years were spent swimming this very river though. The SOP was to swim down, walk/hitch back up the road and repeat. I can't swim like that today but it still feels very natural. Floating on a tube was to boring for me.

Teaching one of the guys to drive the chip truck yesterday. Made a few loops around the parking lot to get use to the gears. Then made our way to the traffic light to hit some back roads. when the light turned green he promptly flew in reverse into the car behind us crushing the hood and grill of a Ford Explorer. Good times. We'll try again next week! A great follow up to the broken axel on the chipper 2 weeks ago. Owning a business is great!

Changed the fuel filter today, should have drained it first, reinstalled it quarter full of fuel, and topped it up once in place, kinda tilted it a bit. Fired up fairly easily.

thanks Jim!

Good outcome with the swimming mate! Sometimes a real time scare is what finally gets through about being careful for the indestructible eleven teens. I went swimming with family at the beach in California, oldest nephew is 9, tall but slender and deaf. Has to take off his cochlear processors for beach swimming., the first day was OK, the waves weren't too bad and my brother was teaching him how to dive under the waves as they come into the beach, all was fine. However the water is murky and there is lots of long stringy seaweed, so if he goes under you can't see him! The next time we went the surf was worse and the waves were coming in piled up two, three at a time, he'd get under one but coming up if he wasn't facing the waves he couldn't hear them coming and the risk was the next one would catch him unawares and deck him. The rip!was pretty strong too. We decided enough was enough but Dylan couldn't understand why we were leaving, he was most annoyed. No room to take a chance because one is all you get.
My brother has to teach him to come up facing the waves, going to have to rely more on seeing them than hearing them!

The beach in in CA is way different than Bermuda, no reef to take the force out of them, murky water and leg tangling seaweed!

Nice pics.

Very quiet work wise for me. Both shop and trees. I have some jobs I can do, but the heat is keeping the help away. I've been calling previous contacts, offering clean up now, nothing has been scheduled. I've been making cold calls, knocking on doors, not something I like to do, but hasn't yielded any results yet.
Even the motor shop, usually would be swamped with A/C and pool motors.

ha! Thanks, hope it happens here!

I lost a 1/2" gear wrench about a year ago in the shop. Handy, but something I could live without. I've not done any cleaning or reorganizing in the shop what so ever and it turned up on a bench I use pretty much everyday that's fairly empty. Just appeared on the corner of the bench. Strange.

Back