How'd it go today?

We get a slug of bad fuel once in a while. Some asshole draining the tanks, sends it out to us. They sent us propane once that would not burn!

Yep, start from the tank and work forward.

Might take a peek in your tank. Might be another slug waiting just for you to change the filters!

So I dug in. Cleaned out all the little screen filters that were filthy. One in the lift pump, one in the injection pump. Like I said, I already put in a new fuel canister filter. Took out the separator unit and it was full of crud. Cleaned that all out. I went and got a Gerry can of fuel and a in line filter. Hooked that straight to the lift pump to eliminate the fuel tank. Primed the whole system and seemed to be getting good flow to the injectors.
Couple tries, she fired right up and ran for a minute. Shut down...
Primed it again. Started up, tried to throttle up, it dies.
The lift pump primer lever is not pushing the fuel past the injector pump very well. If you turn it over, it is better.
So just on a hunch, I took an electric pump I had laying about and primed it with that. Fired right up. Ran ok but would not go full throttle very long and then die.
Like I have enough fuel for just a little run, but then starves.
I am betting the lift pump.

I think I may have the same Perkins or similar in my Stephen, pretty sure it's a 4.236 no turbo. Last time I had fuel issues it ended up being the solenoid on the injection pump. May be worth testing...

The Brotherford brought his track loader over to my daughter's today to grade around the new house. Looks quite nice to have it smoothed out again...

I think I may have the same Perkins or similar in my Stephen, pretty sure it's a 4.236 no turbo. Last time I had fuel issues it ended up being the solenoid on the injection pump. May be worth testing...

I have not completely ruled that out. It's just hard to hear it clicking on or off if I am trying to start the chipper.

Went out to a real cool spot on a local river I haven't been to in like over fifteen years. Don't know why not? But time flies anyways. Fast water, where two arms of the river meet. Lots of current and some decent Rapids. Throw in a small cliff face with some shelves below the surface and some deep water and it's pretty serious. My kid was camping out there with friends and we just went out today.

Yesterday she was tubing part of the rapids and fell off her tube, went under for a bit, surfaced near the cliff which she clung to but couldn't get out of the water and was to frightened to try to swim back into the current on her own. A potentially really bad situation with a half exhausted kid clinging to a cliff in cold(ish) fast moving water. Apparently the few adults on the beach area froze and luckily another camper heard the commotion, came running and sprung into action, taking her over a tube and helping her back. I got to shake that mans hand today and thank him.

I'm a strong swimmer with lots of river swimming experience. I grew up swimming this river constantly. I used to scale the very rock face that my daughter was clinging to and dive off of it. I swam around to/through where she had been today and it was no joke of water, strong strong currents.

Yah what's weird to me is that my wife and I both had a very uneasy feeling about allowing her to camp there without us. Not saying that I wouldn't have allowed her to get her daredevil on and float some Rapids. But still.......we both had a real foreboding. Probably just the parent gene of protection singing its tune.

I'm obviously glad how it all went down, but in some ways it's fortunate that it happened at all. My daughter has had a very cocky attitude in regards to water, not unlike myself. But I took the full array of swim lesson right through to bronze medallion, where I couldn't proceed anymore because of my age and then went into swim club for a few years. My daughter on the other hand refused to take lessons this year and has spouted off a ton about how she didn't need to because she's such a good swimmer already. Eleventeen and already knows everything. :whine:

In talking with my daughter about the incident she says that she felt confident that she could've swam back through the current but everyone was yelling at her to not let go. To her credit, although scared, even her rescuer said she was very calm when he arrived and with a 'floaty' she made it back no problem.

One of life's lucky little lessons.

Happy that came to a good ending Squish. River swimming with the kids scares the shat out of me. We almost lost Rob's son Wyatt one summer.
A friend convinced him he could do a swim across and back and the back did not go so well. A friend (the kids mom) saved him. She beat me to him, knew the river better than I and got him into a slow shallow around the next bend. Crazy stuff.
Valuable lesson for her. But damn. Scary stuff for a parent as well.

Any luck on the chip yet Stephen? If you've even had anytime to devote to it.

Scott. That new home is looking fantastic all finished up. I hope the grading work didn't cost you to much.:D

Yesterday was true devotion. Now it's wait for parts to try replacing the pump and possibly the solenoid. I won't be able to tinker more until sometime next week. Nothing open on the week ends for parts, hour plus drive to those that might have the parts, but would probably have to order them. So... internet order went out. I'll narrow it down and schedule work I can just stage until I figure it out, or if I can't, a proper diesel mechanic can.
I can get it to fire up, spool up... then it fuel starves and dies. Sooooooo that kind of narrows the playing field.

Backups are nice and almost a necessity. When I had my 250xp down it was such a pita I ended up getting a bc1000 as a backup machine and that little sucker treated me golden, despite what I've read from others on them.

Machinery, I don't really miss it at all. Lol.

Machinery is a sure frustration. I hate playing mechanic on weekends when I should be having day trips with my kids.
I mean timing was sort of perfect. final day of chipping on a four day 24 tree removal. Just had to go back to the shop for the little guy to finish it out. Then one of my guys put it on his Bronco and towed it back. So all gear went home same day.

Diesel and hydraulics are new to me as a shade tree mechanic. So wrapping my head around stuff at my age, ain't as easy as it used to be :lol:
Maybe my patience level :P

Attachments

• Perkins1.png
    Perkins1.png
    756.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Perkins2.png
    Perkins2.png
    716.7 KB · Views: 57
Back