How'd it go today?

It's pretty difficult to prove food poisoning. Unless there are others to collaborate, you need to have a sample of the food tested. Otherwise, anyone could say anything.

Got paged out to a structure fire on the second floor balcony of the Thunder Bay Inn early this morning.

(stock photo)

View attachment 70721

All but certain it was a smoker and a plant potted in peat (dry peat) that caused it. Got into the wall a bit, but blown foam insulation limited it's progress. Old balloon construction, dry hemlock, we've always worried about this one. We ripped the wall apart, blasted it with foam, and poked around in the crawl spaces with the thermal camera. Looks like they got off super light. Little bit of siding and some muddy boot prints on the carpet.

Out.

Did you ladder the balcony or stretch in the front door? Orrrrr a rope stretch?

Sounds like you made a good stop!

Had a great weekend up north and have now made it back home ot a wonderful surprise on the porch...a box of home-made dog treats for Otis from Jim's (FFZ) daughter, and a nice picture of the kids included.

Jim, please tell her "thank you" from Otis and I: he likes the treats muchly:D

Please take your rain back. I drove through it for 6 hours today...been raining for two days now.

Rain?

My wife just got to NYC and said it's raining there too.

Feeling better today, bit weak and dehydrated, stoked for contract climbing tomorrow.....though now my son is sick and throwing up, I'm sure I gave him it...the bug.

Today, started using jobber, feels weird to change things up.

That's pretty amazing! I remember reading something about immersing a fouled laptop underwater and then letting it dry out...

You got lucky, eh!

Please take your rain back.
Never fear, when this tropical storm is done with us, it's supposed to move east into the Atlantic. In the meantime though it's a little damp here too. Bombed out a hard leaning sand pine in the rain this morning that most likely would've been on a house tomorrow.

Three grand? Jeebus Crist! Is it for gaming orrrrr something? Why do you need such a 'spensive computer? My Acer PC cost $600 and is fast as a mofo.

Ha, I was just messing around on NewEgg.com, seeing what a real-deal, top end PC would cost to put together. Just the case and the primary components had me north of $5K. I figured it would have been close to $8K all in.

I passed. Would have been super cool though. . .

Why is it ya'll need such awesome computers? I've got 8 gigs of RAM and a terabyte of storage... I can't imagine (but I'm not a gamer) needing more.

That's just it Butch, I didn't "need" it. Perfectly happy with solid state drives, multi-core Intel chips and as much RAM as the motherboard can accept. It makes for a snappy, responsive machine. What I was looking at was all the latest and greatest. Gaming taken to the highest level. Water cooled processors, multi-screen displays, multiple high-end graphics cards (which are super expensive), ext.

It was an interesting exercise, but I'll stick with my mildly modified Lenovo stuff. . .

I don't "need" all these chainsaws either. . . :/:

Did a bit of exploration around the root collar of a fairly big Norway Pine this afternoon. Still nice and solid, though the owner is worried the lean is getting worse. Seems like a solid tree, however the weight is all toward the structure.

208935d1-60ed-47b3-8d32-53393fe489ab.jpg

8fe31aa8-581d-45ac-b12e-bf737780bc3a.jpg

Had a great weekend up north and have now made it back home ot a wonderful surprise on the porch...a box of home-made dog treats for Otis from Jim's (FFZ) daughter, and a nice picture of the kids included.

Jim, please tell her "thank you" from Otis and I: he likes the treats muchly:D

You are very welcome Dave and Otis. She enjoys doing stuff like that.

She wants to go to Michigan and visit Dr. Pol one day.

Tell me about your fire!

Someone was smoking on the balcony, which was tacitly allowed by the management. Problem was, they had a number of potted plants out there as well. Sure enough someone was putting their cigarettes out in the potting, which in this case was dry peat. The fire started outdoors, moved to some porch furniture, and started to climb the siding into the ceiling. Once it was in the walls, it's upward progress was limited by blown foam insulation, which probably saved the building.

We charged lines, killed the utilities, hooked the pumper to the closest hydrant and the guys in packs went up. I showed up about 5 minutes later with our Cooperative mutual aid tanker, which is how it always works for me, little late, but with lots of water. Once I got there we started ripping the wall apart and finding the crawlspaces. Luckily it hadn't moved up very far. About half the balcony was toast, but that was it. They were super lucky. If it had moved into the third story, we would have been there for 14 hours, and the building would have been a total loss.

We blasted everything with foam a couple more times, and then the chief called it. Never piped up again, though everyone was a little nervous. The owners live on premises, so they said they'd keep an eye on everything.

A few years ago we were called out to a car fire, and then about 6 hours later, a house that had been across from the car burned as well. Figured a stray spark or two made it into the crawl space and took that long to come alive.

anyone one have tips on hiring a roofer.......shit is all over the map here. 1527sq ft......prices are 150 to patch to 6500 to replace WTF

Treat them like hiring a tree guy.
Talk to the owner. Will the owner be on the job?
Will he do the work or hire subs?
Ask for references from recent jobs.
Check for licencing (if required) and ask for a proof of insurance.
Check BBB
Read online reviews
Wish I was close enough to help more on advice...I roofed for 23 years before I got into trees.

What type/material of roof?

We pulled one of the primary pre-connects up to the balcony uncharged after the initial move up the stairs, which was done with a charged line. That first 25 feet of charged CAFS line is pretty light until you crack it open, all compressed air. . .

Most of that was already done by the time I got there. And we learned that our primary pre-connects won't reach the third floor without extensions.

I had a shit show of a day. Talking about it makes me mad so that's all I have to say about that.
Nice stop of the fire!

Today I had to nice easy Jobs, first one was notch/flop with clean up. Second was the maples close enough together to use one tie in. Funniest thing though, I had two guys pulling on a rope to direct a spar, way out of reach of danger, and when it started over the rope slacked and one guy fell in the lake. I laughed so hard I couldn't get the camera up on time

It would, now we all busting on him, needs to trade in his work boots for waders, and I bought him some water proofing boot spray, told him to use it like bug spray lol

Back